Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Iron advice >

New Iron advice

New Iron advice

Old 08-25-2022, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I bought the steam generated Reliable Maven 125IS home ironing station. It was on sale at the reliable website for $69 and free shipping around Christmas two years ago. No drips or steam leaks at all. The steam isn't even in the iron until it comes from the reservoir I like to have steam at a touch then instant dry heat. It has a water filter that so far hasn't been needed to be changed I found out I don't need to buy a new one, clean the old one and it will be good to go. When this iron goes out I will be buying an upgrade system. Keep an eye out for the sales at the main website of items you think are beyond your budget. Most are not advertised.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:47 PM

I do garment construction and use steam so I need a good steam iron. I'm on my second LauraStar and really like them. They are pricey but the first one lasted me around 10 years. I bought the one I have now in about 2018 and its still doing well.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:46 PM

Post Best iron

[QUOTE=mizkyp;8564260]My Rowenta Iron is leaking and needs to be replaced. I've had it 13 months, 1 month longer than the warranty. I am sending it in to be repaired, but apparently this is a problem with Rowentas. I will probably need a replacement within the year. What iron do you use and would you recommend it.
I have a Proctor Silex I bought at Walmart a million years ago. It's been a doozie! Buy something less expensive than Rowenta and other luxury irons and if you don't like it, you can replace it. Good luck

Old 08-25-2022, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

I have about six steam irons. All start out great. Then sputter. I just got an Oster dry iron on amazon and so far like it. It is heavy and doesn’t have an auto shut off but I am okay with that. It was under $50
Old 08-25-2022, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
There was a recall ....this iron had issues with the circuit board getting too hot and starting fires...

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2002/cp...-of-steam-iron
That recall is 20 years old. I'm pretty confident my iron isn't affected. 😆
Old 08-26-2022, 05:13 AM

It seems every iron I have leaks if you don't empty it when done ironing. Then the next time you heat it up, it leaks. Very frustrating. I have an Oliso and it does that. This wasn't the most expensive Oliso but I don't think I would get another. I do like the feature of not having to stand it on end all the time when ironing.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I went to a class for machine embroidery. The machines were provided. The instructor said never use the no auto shut off on the same circuit as the sewing machine. The iron is constantly heating and while you are sewing which pulls power from the machine and could cause brown out. I never thought of it but the iron does sit there and constantly reheats using a lot of power to do so. If you are sewing while it does that then problems could happen. The auto shut off is annoying but it has it's purpose.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
My Rowenta iron has auto shut off. All I have to to is move it and it's on again. I don't have an issue with it shutting off while actively using it. It only shuts off if there is no movement for a certain amount of time. I like the auto shut off feature.

Note: I always unplug my iron and drain the water when I'm done quilting.
I agree, they do sometimes shut off in an ironing session, but if you give them a little shake, they heat right back up. Not an issue for me either and I find the auto shut off is a good thing for me. I may be intending to get right back to ironing, get a phone call or the dog starts to bark, and then who knows where my brain goes. I have come back to my cold Rowenta iron blinking at me. Oops! but nothing scorched or on fire. That is a win.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:57 AM

I'm rally cheap. Iron died and went to Wal-mart and bought a VERY LOW END and bought a Steamfast at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steamfast...6&gclsrc=3p.ds
Water well is too small so I have my spray bottle handy when I need to mist. Gets hot. Temp dial on the handle. Really a work horse. I have a power cord thingee above my ironing board with on/off switch. Plug the liron into that. When I flip the switch, light comes on over my ironing station and my iron. Love this iron so much I went back and bought another one. Small sole plate so if I'm ironing yardage I use my Bigee iron.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:47 AM

I have the Shark Pro and it has some good points and some not so good. Every time we go to our timeshare in Las Vegas i want to steal the Proctor Silex they have in the suites. It gets hot and stays hot. I usually clean it with a used dryer sheet or Mr. Clean eraser because i want to make sure nothing is on it. I will probably buy one next time I need to buy an iron. No matter what I quit using water in my irons. With the auto shut off the water heats up but doesn't stay hot when it turns off. I use a sprayer.