Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Iron advice >

New Iron advice

New Iron advice

Old 08-25-2022, 07:56 AM

Default New Iron advice

My Rowenta Iron is leaking and needs to be replaced. I've had it 13 months, 1 month longer than the warranty. I am sending it in to be repaired, but apparently this is a problem with Rowentas. I will probably need a replacement within the year. What iron do you use and would you recommend it.

thanks,
Old 08-25-2022, 08:18 AM

I quit buying expensive irons. They don't last any longer than the inexpensive ones. About 4 years ago, I bought a Proctor-Silex iron at the hardware store, of all places. It was $18. I bought it because it didn't have auto shutoff. Surprisingly, it has turned out to be an awesome rock star of an iron!! I like it so much, I went back and bought another as a backup.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:22 AM

I bought the CHI after reading good reviews. It's a good iron -- got very hot, but the temperature control was awkward for me to reach and use. Next I bought the Beautural, 1850 watts, and like it. Easy to use, and gets more than hot enough. I haven't used it with steam so haven't experienced it with leaks like I have with previous Rowentas. Heat control is digital and I like it and recommend it.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:24 AM

I agree with Peckish about the expensive irons.

A few years ago, I bought a Reliable brand iron that cost a pretty penny. Let’s just say it wasn’t so reliable, as soon after I got it, smoke started coming out of it. Not steam…..smoke. They offered to replace it, but I really didn’t want to risk using the same product.

Now I have a CHI iron from Costco. Not bargain basement, but not top of the food chain either. It handles everything I throw at it beautifully, and hasn’t started leaking or otherwise misbehaving after about a year and a half.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:54 AM

Default Proctor-Silex iron recall 2022

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I quit buying expensive irons. They don't last any longer than the inexpensive ones. About 4 years ago, I bought a Proctor-Silex iron at the hardware store, of all places. It was $18. I bought it because it didn't have auto shutoff. Surprisingly, it has turned out to be an awesome rock star of an iron!! I like it so much, I went back and bought another as a backup.
I like Proctor-Silex and other cheaper irons too.
But
Which iron did you get?
There was a recall ....this iron had issues with the circuit board getting too hot and starting fires...

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2002/cp...-of-steam-iron
Old 08-25-2022, 09:02 AM

I gave up on water in the irons. I spray if need be. I got an iron for $50.00, dry one, at Vermont Country Store. I like it. the only iron they sell.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:56 AM

I get Rowenta's seems the cheaper ones I bought did not get hot enough nor were they heavy enough for me so I had to press down harder. I do use a spray bottle to mist fabric if I need it. I do not like the irons with the no stick surfaces.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I get Rowenta's seems the cheaper ones I bought did not get hot enough nor were they heavy enough for me so I had to press down harder. I do use a spray bottle to mist fabric if I need it. I do not like the irons with the no stick surfaces.
I like Rowenta's brand as well. I like how hot it gets and the weight as well. I found that one of the reasons that irons spit, leak, is because of using it before the water in the iron isn't heated up enough and you need to wait for a short time before using once you put it in the steam mode. If you read the Rowenta's site, they have an interesting write up on it. I haven't had any issues with mine.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 08-25-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:50 AM

I also have a Proctor-Silex but it does have the auto shut-off. This has been the only dislike but I have found out that If I turn it off, pull the plug; count to 20 and plug it right back in there is no problem. I bought it at Walmart on sale for $12.00 with a 7yr (lifetime) full replacement no questions asked during that 7 years. I've had Matilida for almost 14 years and she still works like a charm. Don't know where the name came from but it stuck. Would I reccommend Proctor-Silex--YUP!
Old 08-25-2022, 12:15 PM

My Rowenta iron has auto shut off. All I have to to is move it and it's on again. I don't have an issue with it shutting off while actively using it. It only shuts off if there is no movement for a certain amount of time. I like the auto shut off feature.

Note: I always unplug my iron and drain the water when I'm done quilting.