Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New iron ??? Oliso Pro Smart Iron or Euro Steam Next Generation >

New iron ??? Oliso Pro Smart Iron or Euro Steam Next Generation

New iron ??? Oliso Pro Smart Iron or Euro Steam Next Generation

Old 11-13-2014, 04:41 AM

I have the Reliable Velocity and just love it. I got it after I had 2 Rowentas. Both spit and occasionally leaked and when I pressed the "clean out" button, out came grey splatters (I always used the proper water so it wasn't user error). After the second one did this I switched to the Reliable and have been happy ever since. Sometimes I wish it would get a little hotter but that would be my only annoyance.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

My friend has been having trouble with her new Reliable. I don't like to say this, but I now look where the item has been made.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:05 AM

I bought the Oliso at the fair 3 or 4 years ago and love it - I have a bit of arthritis and love that I don't have to lift it. The only thing I don't like is that it shuts off after 10 minutes, so I'm upgrading to the yellow pro TG1600 that has a 30 minute shut off. Well see if Santa gives it to me this Christmas!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 AM

I just bought for my small group (we sew at a church and leave our items there) a T-Fal from Wal-mart, think it was about $35. We have had it for a couple of months now and LOVE it. One of the things I like about it is that it has a lot more steam holes than most irons do.

At home I use a Reliable and have for several years and I do love it, just wasn't willing to spend that much to leave up for our group to use!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 AM

I'm kinda ashamed to say this but I still have the 1st iron I bought almost 35 yrs ago, it's a Proctor Silex I think! I don't use the steam. One of my cats knocked it off the ironing board and broke off half the dial but I know where the cotton setting is so not a problem. LOL. I ordered a Rowenta last yr from QVC, tried it once and sent it back!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

I cried when I had to pitch my GE afew months back. I had it for 43 years. I feel your pain! Thy don't make them like they used to.
Originally Posted by oldcatlady View Post
I'm kinda ashamed to say this but I still have the 1st iron I bought almost 35 yrs ago, it's a Proctor Silex I think! I don't use the steam. One of my cats knocked it off the ironing board and broke off half the dial but I know where the cotton setting is so not a problem. LOL. I ordered a Rowenta last yr from QVC, tried it once and sent it back!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:48 AM

I have the Oliso and if I had to replace it ... it would only be with another Oliso.

I love the 30 minute shut off
I love the quick re-heat time and the fact that once it's on, it stays hot
I love the 12' cord
I love the slick surface that I rarely have to clean, and when I do it's only with a damp cloth
I love the weight, it's not "light", it's good solid heavyish iron (I like them heavier as I feel the weight helps to get a better press for good flat seams)

I usually turn the feet off because I like to let my iron sit on a block/seam for a while and instead of holding the iron, I'll grab another block and open it up to get ready to press ... assembly line ironing. I'll turn the feet on when I'm ironing yardage or clothing.

My only complaint is that because I leave the feet off 90% of the time, every now and then the front foot will "drop" slightly and if I'm sliding the iron the tip of the foot will catch an edge of the fabric. To fix it though is easy ... I turn the feet on, let them drop completely, then turn the feet off again and they recess completely back up into the iron where they belong. It happens after about every 8 hours of usage so it's not a big deal.

I don't use steam so I can't say one way or another about the steam function of the iron.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 AM

I've used an Oliso for several years now and bought another a year or so ago so Ill be ready if my first one breaks, however, I wanted a light weight one for traveling so I picked up one for 6ish dollars at Walmart. I have to admit, I actually like that one better! It stays super hot and doesn't shut off after a certain amount of time. go figure.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 AM

*LOL* I've gone in the opposite direction. I love my ultra cheap (less than $10) Rival from Walmart.

It doesn't have auto-shutoff, so it stays hot.

I bought it after reading the reviews on Amazon for the Oliso: found the review for the Rival which had low ratings because it didn't have auto-shutoff. Bingo!
Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I read the reviews on the Oliso and decided that they weren't good enough to spend that kind of money on an iron.
I bought one earlier this year and really like it . It was $148 (in Australia) and I thought that was really too expensive at the time. They're now $200 and there's no way I would pay that for one now.