Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new to this, loving it, but hating my machine - recommend one? >

new to this, loving it, but hating my machine - recommend one?

new to this, loving it, but hating my machine - recommend one?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 PM

Just wondering....By any chance did you change your needle? If not, try a size 12 microtex. Some of your problem, kinda sounds like a dull needle. Just a thought.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM

A lot of machines can stitch a reasonable straight stitch and free-motion quilt... I did it on a $130 Brother (granted it didn't last long). If that's all you need from a new machine though (especially where you are!) I'd look for a Singer model 15... I absolutely love my old singer for piecing and quilting. It makes a really nice straight stitch, has a nice size harp space, and the feed dogs drop. The only reason I bought my new machine is because I wanted the fancy stitches, and I could. when I did I bought a Pfaff - it's what my grandma sewed on, and what my mom sews on... so now me too and they are the only sewing machine company with a local dealer and service tech.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Hi,
My first 'serious' machine was a 20yr old Pfaff 1471, which I got through an ad in the local paper (I'm in England). It works really really well. I've upgraded to an expensive Pfaff with more throat room and bell n whistles but the original is as good for FMQ. Good luck with your search and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.
Annie
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 AM

You may need to use a different foot on your machine also check and see what pressure is on the foot, may be either too much pressure or too little. Would be nice if it was something easy then you wouldn't need a different machine.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 AM

Everyone is going to tell you to buy their favorite brand. I am going to tell you to make a list of what features you want - embroidery, stitch regulator, etc. Then shop around as many stores as possible and compare features and buy the best machine that meets your wish list that you can afford. That is what I did and I ended up with a Bernina and have never regretted it.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 AM

I would take it in for a servicing and see if that helps. Also, a 1/4 inch foot is a must if you are new to sewing and struggle to get an accurate 1/4 inch seam. I was able to ge mine for $7.99 through my Janome dealer. I have also seen them at Joanns for $4.99 then you could use your 40% of coupon.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:00 AM

I hope you have taken your machine to a good dealer with the problem as I don't think a Janome should act that way. Some of the oldest cheapest machines work the best for quilting any many of the older ones aren't full of plastic parts!