Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new to this, loving it, but hating my machine - recommend one? >

new to this, loving it, but hating my machine - recommend one?

new to this, loving it, but hating my machine - recommend one?

Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM

Default new to this, loving it, but hating my machine - recommend one?

Hi everyone

I have been reading about quilting for ages and finally pieced together my first placemat today! I love it! I really enjoy sewing (I make clothes for my daughters dolls) and have finally found a hobby which I want to stick at - just couldn't get into scrapbooking....

However, I'm finding 1/4 inch foot on my machine a complete nightmare. Its a really basic Janome 659 and it keeps pulling the fabric off to the side as the feeddogs aren't gripping enough of the fabric to carry it though straight. I would also love to try free motion quilting once I've practised the more basic methods and really doubt my machine is up to it.

I'm sure its a question that is always asked, but can anyone recommend a machine that would give me decent piecing abilities (I have read several other posts with other people having the same issue with Janome machines) and that could maybe FMQ but at the cheaper end of the scale?

I don't have a huge budget, if one at all really (gotta think of a way to get the hubby round to it yet!). Any ideas?

Thanks

Laura
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM

Do check with dealers for used machines....some quilters will upgrade from good running machines and trade them in on new ones.....I found a used Janome 6600 for $1000 and she is amazing for piecing and fmq.....I am sure there are many other machines capable of the basics as well.....take some scraps and do a test drive on all of them before you decided....If you think you are getting into quilting pretty heavy, then you will want to stay away from the very cheap ones because they will not last for heavy duty piecing/quilting......Be sure to make a list of the features you want/need.....I love the self threading needle and the thread cutter....Have fun shopping!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM

I purchased my first machine and it had been used at a quilt show, saved me some money. I was established with the dealer and they knew I was looking. I think that helped too. calla
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM

I bought a brand new Viking at Good Will a few years ago......$25 and was still in the box. I purchased a new Janome 12 years ago and it was a total piece of junk and the factory was no help at all. Still leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. You don't need to go expensive to get a good machine to get you started quilting.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM

thanks for the suggestions so far - I'm liking the idea of Goodwill etc. I might have to pretend I'm not looking for one though as I never find what I want in there - always other things!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 PM

there are feet available for most machines. They have a metal piece that forces you to only do a 1/4 seam. It makes it much easier!! Stops all the agrivation. Also I have the least expensive Viking (I paid $200.00) and it dosen't pull at all.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 PM

with the basic machines, do you think I could still Free motion?

I'm in San Francisco, but actually from the UK originally.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 PM

anyone looking to sell near here?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM

You can free-motion as long as your machine has the ability to drop the feed dogs-you will need a free motion foot (or darning foot). I have a Brother machine and had one before, and love them. Having said that, there was just a new thread in the last few days on this board discussing the Kenmore machines-people that have them love them. You should be able to pick up a good machine for only a couple hundred dollars-or less if you find one second-hand. Check with a local sewing machine shop and see if they have any re-conditioned machines for sale. Plenty of places to pick up a good machine. I got my machine (Brother PC420 Project Runway) thru Amazon--no shipping and no sales tax-and after hours of research, it was the best price. You can get "generic" feet for most machines-I found the brand "Alphasew" 1/4" foot with built in guide at a sewing shop here in the San Diego area for $14.99. If your machine is otherwise working well and it is just the foot, try getting this new foot before buying a new machine.