Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine Needed >

New Machine Needed

New Machine Needed

Old 02-19-2018, 11:41 AM

I just traded my Viking in for a brother ... I had the topaz 30 for about 9-10 years, and in the last year everything just kept breaking down over and over ... got so fed up, I was done. I just got the brother 6200 dreamweaver and am in HEAVEN!!!!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:01 PM

Not to high jack this thread, but I would also like a straight stitch only machine just for piecing and I'm having trouble justifying the price for a basic machine. It seems as if the companies got together and said let's make the same basic machine, add a few updates (thread cutter, needle threader) and push it as a quilting machine and charge more than we should for it because those quilters will pay any thing we ask.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:22 PM

For a mechanical, I love my mechanical Viking emerald 118, had it serviced once . Sews straight and is a work horse.
I have a Baby Lock Jazz - don't like sewing with that one so gave put it up as a backup machine. Also have a Janome Horizon 12000 that I use for embroidery and appliqué . The Emerald has served me well
Old 02-19-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by RosieQ View Post
I would like a mechanical sewing machine with feed dogs that lower and some basic stitches, nothing too fancy, but quilting friendly. I am not a fan of Brother, but any other brand reccomendations would be welcome.
Originally Posted by RosieQ View Post
I don't have the space to have more than one machine, so a good little machine to piece and free motion quilt on would be great. At the moment I'm looking at the lower end models in the $200-$300 range.
If your budget is $200-300, I would recommend you look at vintage machines. You will be able to get a higher quality machine with a larger throat space than you could find in a modern machine for that price. I don't know of any $300 machines with a large enough throat to FMQ comfortably.

A Singer 201, Singer 15, or any of the Japanese model 15 clones would work well for you. These are all straight stitch machines; if you want other stitches, look at Japanese-made machines from the 1950's to 1960's. If you ask about second-hand machines at your local shops, they might have a real gem for you, and then you know they will service it!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 AM

Look at the Janome machines. I love my Janome and have never had problems that weren't of my causing them and then easily fixable. They have from the simple to the complicated embroidery machines.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
How much do you want to spend? When I was looking for a new machine I had my mother's 15-91 - all decorative stitches and buttonhole were done with a rather large attachment.... After a bit of research I decided on the Janome MC6600P. It had a larger throat, multiple stitches are programed into it (Including a few fonts). I love that I can program a variety of stitches together. When I bought it I did not want anything too fancy.

But there is a lot to be said about getting machine you can grow into. I keep my Janome up in a table for sewing but after a couple years I decided on an embroidery/sewing machine. And I got the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Topaz 20. And I love it - at times I wish I had gotten the 30 - but didn't know how much I would get into embroidery. The other part I love about the Viking - it has a large variety of stitches, it has a free arm (which none of my other machines have) and it will sew thru 6 - 8 layers of denim without skipping a beat. (My 15-91 may be able to, not sure, but the Viking can for sure.) Now I would really like the Viking Ruby - but it is not in my budget right now.

So figure out how much you want to spend and go from there.
I worked and now volunteer at a quilt shop that sells Janomes. (for 10 years). The 6600 is probably the best seller and is a definite workhorse. In all that time I haven't seen one that needed major repairs. When I need to do sewing at the shop, that's the machine I go to.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:10 AM

Love the Janome machines - so many models to choose from - something for everyone. They are a great machine.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM

another Janome fan here! I have a HD3000 and it's amazing, I've had it for four years and I've made quilts, pillows, clothes and tons of bags on it. Janomes are great, I'm fixing to grab a 2212 for a back up machine with stretch stitch. Amazon is a great place to look at Janome options.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:48 AM

I still swear by my 1958 Singer 401A ;lI love it. All metal parts and it is a tank! In hospital once only.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:13 AM

Love my Janome 6600 for quilting but it is an issue when I am taking a class due to its weight. I'm considering a featherweight
or the lighter Janome for that purpose....