Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine Needed >

New Machine Needed

New Machine Needed

Old 02-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Default New Machine Needed

I would like to start looking for a new machine and I've never bought one for myself before. I'm currently using a Viking machine I inherited from my mother-in-law.

I would like a mechanical sewing machine with feed dogs that lower and some basic stitches, nothing too fancy, but quilting friendly. I am not a fan of Brother, but any other brand reccomendations would be welcome.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Stick with Viking, but do get a computerized machine.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I haven't sewn on one, but the new Eversewn machines are getting great reviews from quilters. They have a range of machines. This one is their more mechanical machine:
https://www.amazon.com/Ever-Sewn-SPA...dp/B01FEI3FI6/
I think this is their newest, highest-level computerized machine:
https://www.amazon.com/EverSewn-Spar...dp/B073QYJY3Y/

By mechanical, do you mean non-computerized? Or do you mean all metal?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM

How much do you want to spend? When I was looking for a new machine I had my mother's 15-91 - all decorative stitches and buttonhole were done with a rather large attachment.... After a bit of research I decided on the Janome MC6600P. It had a larger throat, multiple stitches are programed into it (Including a few fonts). I love that I can program a variety of stitches together. When I bought it I did not want anything too fancy.

But there is a lot to be said about getting machine you can grow into. I keep my Janome up in a table for sewing but after a couple years I decided on an embroidery/sewing machine. And I got the Husqvarna/Viking Designer Topaz 20. And I love it - at times I wish I had gotten the 30 - but didn't know how much I would get into embroidery. The other part I love about the Viking - it has a large variety of stitches, it has a free arm (which none of my other machines have) and it will sew thru 6 - 8 layers of denim without skipping a beat. (My 15-91 may be able to, not sure, but the Viking can for sure.) Now I would really like the Viking Ruby - but it is not in my budget right now.

So figure out how much you want to spend and go from there.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

A second for the Eversewn, you will just love piecing on it. I know I do. There is a caveat: you may not enjoy FMQ on a bed size quilt on this machine. I do not use my Eversewn for quilting, just for piecing the quilt. Quilting belongs tto the Janome 1600p, which does not even have a zigzag.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:29 PM

I love my Viking - She is about 17 years old and have had no problems. It is computerized, but very easy to use.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Mainly all metal, but I'm not a huge fan of computerized machines either.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the insight ladies! My biggest problem with Viking machines is that none of my local shops service them, I'd have to travel 2 hrs one way!
I don't have the space to have more than one machine, so a good little machine to piece and free motion quilt on would be great. At the moment I'm looking at the lower end models in the $200-$300 range.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:05 AM

How about a vintage machine? A 201 has feed dog lowering capabilities, there might be others also, but I'm not sure. I would stay away from ANY new Singer.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 AM

Maybe a simple straight stitch like juki 2000 or brother pq1500 are very popular and simple, plenty of people love these models for piecing and Fmq and they are metal and heavy duty