Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New Machine Quilter

Good Morning all!

I have to give machine quilting a good try. I have hand quilted for a number of years, and the fingers seem to just be wearing out. LOL After reading a number of posting on this site I have just two questions..

What size needle do you use to have it look close to hand quilting. (Half of a queen is hand stitched ..need to do the remaining on machine) AND what stitch length.

ALSO, am I correct.. Walking foot for stitching in the ditch and straight line. Darning foot and feed dog down for Free motion? I have a 3 year old Elite Kenmore. I also discovered I have a speed control slide on the front of the machine. I have read your posting on Speed Control.

Thanks for your Help.

Hi Barb! Welcome from Oklahoma!!! Cant help you on the machine quilting questions, I am a hand quilter too, but someone will be able to answer them for you. Glad you joined us!!!

Yes, you are correct, feed dogs down (some people free motion with them up, but it is much harder to guide that way).

I use quilters gloves too. My hands don't slide and I get a better grip on the fabric that way.

I use a quilting needle size 75/11.

Yes, for straight stitching, use the walking foot with the feed dogs up.

Practice a few times first. It really is easier than you may think. Hope this helps.

And, WELCOME!

:D :D Thank you for your help. SO, now I am off to Sew. I have my pratice piece ready.

You're welcome, have fun!