Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine >

New Machine

New Machine

Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM

To really get to know my machine, I did all the tricks in the owners manual and attached the sample to the page. I became so familiar with it, I rarely needed to look at the manual. That was 40 yrs ago. Now, I think I'd have to modify the manual to fit into a 3" binder to accomodate all the samples. And would need it to remember all that the new machines can do. If only it could vacumn, dust and clean dishes.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 AM

I played with all my stitches, then cut the practice piece into whatever sizes and used it for a cover for the machine, not that it ever has time to be covered up
Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by wantanaquilt View Post
I also just last Wed. got my new Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 & love it so far. I have a lot of scraps laying around & use them to sew with. I have tried a lot of the different designs in top of the lid. I can't tell u myself what to do, I am just playing around w/ it is so quiet & such an upgrade from the Brother I have. It is so nice and sews so quietly compared to other machines. I rather use my scraps then use a good piece of fabric that can be cut into something I want to make, u will always be getting scraps from everything u sew. Just use yor book and scraps anyway and enjoy it. I am collecting fabric now & went to Hancocks yesterday & bought some fabric getting ready to wash it now. First I have to get out my pinking shears so it won't have so many strings. Good luck hope u enjoy yours like I am enjoying mine. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Maybe u could use some old clothes u have laying around to throw away.
Just a comment on washing fabrics - I was using pinking shears a lot until I tried the Hand Wash cycle on my washer. It virtually eliminated all "stringing" of the fabric as it agitates a few slow strokes and then rests, etc. I don't have to do anything but throw it in the washer for near perfect results every time.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 PM

I remember when I got a new sewing machine that had special stitches. I layered some muslin and batting and just made random tracks across it in different colors, trying all the stitches. I happened to do it in metallic threads that I'd just bought at a quilt show. It was lying around for a long time before I figured out that I could cut it into the shape of a Christmas stocking and finish it up with a red cuff. My favorite stitch pattern on that old Singer was a little train engine. I have not been able to sew little choo-choos since moving up to a newer machine in 2005, and I still miss it, especially since my grandson was born.

Editing to add that another nice use is if you have plain everyday sheets and pillowcases, it's fun to trim them with some decorative stitches. It's more of a project, though, because you have to sew pretty far with each stitch, but you can do several rows, each different, and maybe change colors as you go.

Last edited by Rose_P; 05-18-2013 at 05:35 PM.