Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine >

New Machine

New Machine

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 PM

When I got my new machine I put together a fabric book of all my stitches - it was fun and serves as a great reference!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 AM

I am doing what QuiltsRFun suggested - with all of my machines. I'm making a "fabric book" with all of the decorative stitches from a Janome 11000, a BabyLock Elegante, a BabyLock Sophia and a Babylock Evolution Serger. That way I will have a very quick reference to check out how each stitch looks (and sews out)no matter which machine I am using. The lady who gave me lessons on the serger suggested this, and it really is a great idea.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:41 AM

What made you decide on this machine? I am thinking of replacing my babylock, so tell me, thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I have an older Singer Quantum and it has never given me a problem. In fact it sews a better straight stitch then my Bernina. I bought it before I started quilting for the decorative stitches. It has a perfect overlock and blanket stitch.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:19 AM

I also got the Singer Quantum in december for my birthday. The only machine I had owned before this is a Kenmore, 158 series I think, about 45+ yrs old. Will never part with it, it's in the original stand, and it is a real workhorse, I think it would sew through a bed of nails! Anyway, I picked the Singer for the extra stitches, extra feet, thread cutter, needle threader, and got a really good deal on it from Amazon. I am loving it, I just used some scraps to practice on at first. Have quilted 2 quilts on it, does a great job. I always try out a stitch on a scrap before putting on a project, still have to refer to the book once in a while, but the instructions are very clear with pictures. Hope you enjoy yours too!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 AM

Latrinka's comments are so convincing. I did go to amazon and the price there sounds real good. Did it come with that extra table and hard case? I have read the comments on the site and most were very positive, hmmmmm.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 AM

I saw a suggestion in a new book I just bought "Stupendous Stitching" by Carol Ann Waugh. She suggests making a fabric bible, using inexpensive muslin or fabric you don't want, and you would stitch each decorative stitch regularly and then some by changing the width and length. If nothing else just do one of each how it regularly would stitch without changing the stitch width or length. She then puts grommets in them, puts metal rings and creates a book. She makes one for each of her machines.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

What better to use it on than scraps!. you've got the material. Got an old pillow case? Use that or an old blouse you haven't worn. You just might come up with a quilt out of it. Sounds like locking the door and put a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door of the house and the sewing room. "I'VE GONE QUILTING" ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK"!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 AM

I put some fusable stablizer and atarted with first quilt, white thread on black, and did every stitch and numbered with white out. Now I know what all the stitches look like.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
What made you decide on this machine? I am thinking of replacing my babylock, so tell me, thanks
I was thinking of upgrading and was just not sure how or to what. My husband actually found this machine on Amazon a while back and after reading the reviews thought it sounded good. He knew I wanted the extra table and didn't even realize this on had the thread cutter!

I was watching it for months and kept it in my wish list on Amazon. My birthday is in June and we were thinking maybe then. My other machine was less that $150.00 so this was pretty pricey for me and I was just not ready to commit.

Then last week Thursday or so it was the Amazon deal of the day and was another $80.00 off. I e-mailed my husband who told me to order it right away!

I just love it. The extension table is great..the thread cutter...the stitchs look great...so much variety and I love the fact that I can sew without the foot pedal. I was not too sure about that but after using it yesterday decided I really like it. I think that will help me alot regulate my free montion (up until now I have only done SID on my quilts).

This machine also came with easily over $400.00 worth of extra feet and accessories. AMAZING

I ended up getting mine for only $250.00 and free shipping. The hardest part was knowing on Saturday it was only 15 minutes away at a UPS terminal - and I had to wait until Monday for it to deliver!

I am thinking about the fabric book. That sounds fun. This machine has a lot of stitches that can be elongated and even mirrored so the options are limitless.

I don't have anything bad to say about it. Well - actually when/if you get one go through all your pcs carefully. You get so many if something is missing you may not notice. I ended up with 2 of the same and was missing my darning/free motion foot. It took me about 30 minutes to go through all the pcs and match them up to see what I had extra! I called and they are sending my foot out this week. They also told me just to keep the extra one I had - which retails for $49.99!

All in all - very good machine. I read a lot of the reviews and didn't really find many negatives. Online I saw that someone had 2 negatives - first the lights were too bright (thats ok with me!) and 2nd there were so many choices of stitches it was overwhelming. (Again - ok with me!)

I strongly suggest this machine - I just love it!!