Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New mechanical (not computerized) machine suggestions with large throat/harp >

New mechanical (not computerized) machine suggestions with large throat/harp

New mechanical (not computerized) machine suggestions with large throat/harp

Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM

The Brother 1500S is not computerized, has 9" throat, has thread cutter and needle threader. It's a work horse. Does a great straight stitch. The difference of it to the Juki is the pin just behind the foot that helps feed the fabric when stitching and it doesn't have the speed control button. It does fabulous FMQ. This is my go-to machine and gets ~95% of my sewing. It's also inexpensive, especially for the quality.

There is a Bernina non-computer with zig-zag stitches. It has a small throat. It is also a work horse.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:27 AM

You could always go with a vintage Sewing machine. I have a singer, well I have a number of them, but the 201-2 is just gorgeous. Has feed dogs that will drop, large harp area, strong and quiet motor, and sews like a dream. Plus the older mechanical machines are pretty easy to work on and maintain.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:37 AM

I bought a Juki TL98Q eight years ago and I love my machine. I've never had tension issues or thread/needle breaks. I do thoroughly clean/oil my machine frequently and change the needle often to keep it happy. It sews a wonderful stitch and was user friendly for me as a person who didn't come from a sewing background and just wanted to learn to make quilts. I like the thread cutter, needle down button and knee lift. It is a heavy machine and so my DH made a cabinet just it so I don't have to move it around.
I hope to add another Juki to my sewing room. I've looked on Craigslist to see if I can get a used second machine. I have only seen two Juki's and they were priced at what I paid for mine when it was new.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:48 PM

i have a Juki 2010 and i love it! i was planning on getting the older 2000 model but my hubby insisted on treating me to the speed control and it's really handy for FMQ. it's a super sturdy machine, highly recommend. it is thirsty though, needs oiling very frequently, I keep one of those Zoom Spout Oiler bottles handy
Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM

I have 7 machines and the Brother 1500 is my favorite.

The 1500 is mellow, not fussy, reliable, and steady. I have no issues with tension at all. The problem some people have with it coming unthreaded can usually be solved by reducing the number of holes you feed the thread through on the pre-tensioning bar. It is a straight-stitch workhorse. I have a smaller Brother I use for buttonholes, applique, etc.

The 1500 also has a needle threader that is mechanical, not computerized.

The Janome 1600 is nearly identical to the Brother 1500, with a few minor differences.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:57 AM
dms

I have the Juki 2010 and love, love, love it! It has a really fast thread cutter, auto threader that does take a little getting used to, but works after you figure it out, and a larger work table for free motion quilting for the option of turning your machine to work as a sit-down machine. It also has an automatic needle down option and for some reason I have better results doing piecing cause it wants to go straight rather than veer off at the end like my high end machine. It really does most of what I want to do for quilting. I still have another machine to do whatever this one doesn't, but it really is a honey.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:33 AM

How many hole to thread thru?. I have tried 1 or 2 and still have problem (sometimes) had it check out but no problem found. I personally do not use needle threader . Seems quicker to thread on my own.

Still love this machine!!!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:07 AM

I'll cast another vote for the Juki TL-2010Q. Love mine! However, it does not have the drop-in bobbin that the OP is looking for. Don't think I've ever seen a large throat machine that has a drop-in, although most of my other machines do, and I understand why you would prefer it. I can tell you that the bobbin door on the Juki is nice and large and I don't have any problems getting my fingers in there to change the bobbin. Love the fact that it has needle-down and my favorite feature is the thread cutter operated by the foot pedal... best thing ever (although there was another discussion on this Board earlier in the week about how some people hate it!).
Old 07-07-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mmncsw View Post
Anyone had a Juki? Juki TL2010Q orJUKI TL-2000Q they also seem to have a lot of features I am interested in...
I have a Juki & I love that machine. It is straight line stitching only, no fancy stitches but it has a good size opening & it is a workhorse machine. Sewed through 8 layers of denim with no problems. The only thing I would also like on it is a zigzag stitch but that's about it.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Keep in mind that the brother 1500 Babylock jane and janome 1600 are just juki machines renamed so they are all going to get good reviews for that reason. All the machines will give you the same results and are all popular.
thank you! that is really, really helpful!