Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member here, looking for a little advice and direction

I adore my Bernina, but part of the beauty of the Bernina is the wonderful warranty and the awesome dealer I have. Granted they are about 1 hour from my house, but it is worth the trip. Also, you get free classes on how to use your machine, which you can take as often as you want, for free (at least at my dealer). So, try to get it from a dealer. They have frequent sales, with great deals on used machines and as I said before, interest free financing. I didn't think I would qualify, but they did allow me to finance $1000 for 6 months. Paid it off in December, so "Nina" is mine free and clear!

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    I adore my Bernina, but part of the beauty of the Bernina is the wonderful warranty and the awesome dealer I have. Granted they are about 1 hour from my house, but it is worth the trip. Also, you get free classes on how to use your machine, which you can take as often as you want, for free (at least at my dealer). So, try to get it from a dealer. They have frequent sales, with great deals on used machines and as I said before, interest free financing. I didn't think I would qualify, but they did allow me to finance $1000 for 6 months. Paid it off in December, so "Nina" is mine free and clear!
    There is a Bernina dealer about an hour away from me (everything is about an hour away because I live in the sticks). I've put them on my "for sure" list of stores to visit, probably next weekend. I'm not sure if they sell used machines but I won't know unless I go look, huh? :) I was going to look around a bit this past weekend but got busy adopting a cat at the animal shelter. She's laying next to me now and she's glad I didn't go look at sewing machines. :D

I own 2 Berninas, 2 older Pfaffs and 1 newer one i bought on ebay about a year ago and that is where i got my Bernina 1010. which is my favorite? Got 1 pfaff on craigs list and LOVE IT more then the newer one. i also have Singers..what i want to say is the same...test drive them all. just remember, the more features,the more that could go wrong,but u must try b4 u buy so u are confident. I love ALL of them..they each serve my needs very well. happy shopping. joanie

I have a Viking No 1 (bought it new around 1992...workhorse, but machines changed a lot in the next few years. I use it at our cottage.

Janone silver (ASG anniversary edition) very light weight and good for taking somewhere for minor work, but just doesnt have the feel that I like. It is a good machine depending on what you want to use it for.

I have a Bernina 180(bought new in 2001) use it for sewing only and never for embroidery. Love it/

I have a Pfaff 2056 2002 new, love the built in dual feed. Great machine.

Babylock Elegante bought new 2007, wonderful machine, use mostly for embroidery but all functions on it great.

Brother Duetta bought new 2008, same as Babylock built by same company, wonderful machine, use mostly for embroidery all functions on it great.

Got a Bernina 830E for Christmas....wonderful!

I like all the above listed machines, however, I LOVE LOVE the Berninas. Their motto is "Nothing sews like a Bernina" and I believe it...they are fantastic machines. Made in Switzerland and have great features.;;

There are many great machines out there, you just need to try them and see what feels right to you and what fits your budget.

GOOD LUCK and happy quilting.

Margie

Good for you! I have 3 adopted/stray cats and have a dog now and 4 in the past all adopted or strays.

I think most Bernina dealers handle used machines because they trade them in. At this point I could trade my model for a newer one for about what I paid for it. They have sale promotions frequently through the year with that free financing. The last one was just before Christmas. Happy hunting!

Hi and welcome from Oklahoma

Try a number of machines before you buy, Take pieces of fabric you will be using and if they won,t let you try don,t buy there. The built in walking foot on the Pfaff is great but you can buy a walking foot for other machines . Bernina must use Bernina attachments some othe r machine you can use generic feet. Buy the best you canafford and make sure service is near and that you can have lessons Good Luck. ( used to sell machines)

I have a new 830 Bernina with all the bells and whistles,BUT I also have an old 930 Bernina, with knee lift, not much else,a few decorative stitches, the reason I bought it in the first place I wanted to do free motion stuff, I had just bought a new sears for $450.000, when I took a free motion sewing class, all my friends had the project finished and I was still sweating blood to get it done , They had Bernina and Viking machines, The next day I went to my credit union and asked for enough money to buy the new 930 bernina , the price had dropped to $1,300.00 because it was a demonstrator, I paid it off $30.00 a month, my paycheck at that time was $5.00 an hour 20 hours a week as a council on aging home health aide , I have never been sorry, the speed of the Bernina for freee motion is perfect and smooth , Ten years ago I did a lot of sewing for a couple of professional Knitting friends in Salt Lake City putting together ski hats and cut and sew sweaters, At that time I was offered $1,000.00 for my Bernina , I bought my new 830 in November of this year, I was offered $900.00 cash for my old 930 bernina ,I live several hours from my Bernina Dealer, ,he is as close as my phone ,Last year I bought the 440QE, it was a very nice machine, and I loved the self threading , several other features and the knee lift or the push button start ,great but it must be hooked up to a computer to use the embriodery part, when the quilt show came to Lake Havasu in November, the dealer was there ,he offered me back every dime I put into it for the new 830, My husband was so impressed with the features he encouraged me to buy it , At my age 75 it will be the last machine I will ever need to buy , I hope to live to be 100, as I have tooooo many quilts to make yet, I am enjoying every minute of it , I sew every day, I have just made a shopping bag and a bow tie purse from scraps, going to put together a quilt top and quilt it on the machine getting these things ready for a family reunion in Oklahoma in April, wanted to donate some raffle items and a bid item :lol:

Omigosh, omigosh! My wonderful, loving, fabulous husband (okay, so I don't always describe him like that) just called to tell me he was walking out of the Bernina store with a brand new 440 QE! To say I'm excited is putting it mildly. Yay, yay, YAY! I had no idea he was going to do that today. Looks like I don't have to stress over which machine to get anymore. LoL

(The owners of the store are apparently very nice people according to my husband and they told him to have me come in this weekend to go over all the stuff and to set up some classes for me to attend.)

Yippee! You have a real winner...Husband and machine.....

Whatever you buy, make sure you have a dealer/service location nearby so you can keep it in good running order for years since these machines are quite an investment these days. Lessons are also helpful if your machine of choice has any fancy bells and whistles. I must admit I have had Berninas for years and they do sew beautifully. My dealer does take trade ins when people want to go up a model; she then services the trade ins and resells them. That might be a route to take if you really want the 440QE. I have that model and it is great. It has been out for about 5 years so there may be some trade ins to be had if you have a Bernina dealer nearby. Make sure to haggle for the walking foot! You'll definitely want it if you are going to become a died in the wool quilter.

I have the basic "patchwork edition" Bernina. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles others do but it does what I want it to and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I have had it 4 years and never had a problem.

Oh my gosh! Rachel I am soooooo happy for you! I bet you are doing the hApPy DaNcE all over the place.

I just know you will love your 440QE as much as I do! AND if you ever decide you want to embroider, you have that option. That hubby of yours is definitely a keeper! Make sure you take the classes offered by your dealer. Not only do you learn all the ins and outs of your machine, but you start building a great relationship with that dealer.

Congrats! and ENJOY! (oh, pics of the projects please ;) )

I have two Juki TL98QE Machines, Yes they are basic, but, they will hold up to 8 hours or more to FMQ and still keep sewing. I doubt a cheap machine would hold up to that kind of use. I also have a Quilters Star quilting machine and it could not handle the load. If I need to do fancy stitches I have two other machines I can use. I only quilt with the Jukis and straight stitches is all I use. They also come with a heavy duty Darning foot - used for FMQ, Compenating foot - Heavy duty for 1/4" seams - Straight foot and a heavy duty walking foot. I haven't seen such heavy duty feet before. Juki is all metal - no plastic parts. Very worth the money. I have had them for 4 & 3 yr.s. It also has the knee lift for pressure foot,thread cutter, and comes with metal bobbins and needles and a good easy to read manual. They have the up/down push button.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Omigosh, omigosh! My wonderful, loving, fabulous husband (okay, so I don't always describe him like that) just called to tell me he was walking out of the Bernina store with a brand new 440 QE! To say I'm excited is putting it mildly. Yay, yay, YAY! I had no idea he was going to do that today. Looks like I don't have to stress over which machine to get anymore. LoL

(The owners of the store are apparently very nice people according to my husband and they told him to have me come in this weekend to go over all the stuff and to set up some classes for me to attend.)
    Enjoy your machine! I hope we get to see pictures of your quilts. ;)

You have a dream of a husband, treat him right!!

Al I can say is Wow!!!!, :thumbup: , I know just how you feel, Life is ssoooooo good and a new sewing machine makes it even better , You are going to have so much fun, My first machine was a singer dome top, from the 20's did not even do reverse, no zigzag and no light .This was in the 1980's.I made many shirts for my former husband that died in 2003,western shirts that were tapered and I did french seams, Boy times have changed,Been married 5 years and the NEW hubby picked out and bought this new machine for me :-P

Smart Man :thumbup: great Lady, have fun!!! Betty in Arizona

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80

Oh my gosh - I'm dancing here for you! Holy smokes, what a fantastic husband! You're going to love that machine! :)

Be sure to take them up on showing you how to use the machine. Get as much knowledge out of them as possible and then you'll be able to create just about anything.

I'm so happy for you! :thumbup:

Congratulations - on good hubby and his choice of gifts.

WOOHOOO what a hubby...he is a keeper lol. ENJOY it , I know you will....Nothing sews like a Bernina :)

Margie

I have a Brother 8500 sewing/embroidery machine, a Featherweight Singer, and a Bernina 830 Record (older classic) which I bought used on Ebay. I highly recommend Berninas, and the mechanical ones like my 830 are favorites.

You almost made me cry, I am soooo happy for you!!! I do love Berninas (actually gave my dd my 1130 classic), and I would love to see the 440! Have fun, and give your dh thanks from all of us!!!

You may want to go to your local sewing machine shop. My last sewing machine purchase was in the used machines aisle - the woman brought it home, changed her mind and returned it. I was able to buy it as "used". You can try them in the store before you buy and there are a lot of trade ins when people want to buy up to a better model.

I have a Janome 6600 and a Bernina145. I love my Bernina for sewing clothing, I love my Janome for quilting. I never got a higher end Bernina because I never use the decorative stitches and the embroidery has no appeal to me at all. You could probalby get a Janome for as low as $1200. I understand there is a new Janome in the pipeline this spring and if so you will probably see a lot of used Janome for sale then if you can wait. I got mine used for $800 from an area quilt shop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast