Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New member here, looking for a little advice and direction >

New member here, looking for a little advice and direction

New member here, looking for a little advice and direction

Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 PM

I have a Babylock Quest and it's wonderful. I drove a Bernina before I made the final decision and loved the feel, but the throat was too small for me--and a bigger throat than what I had was a huge priority. I test drove a Janome too and loved that one!! But, at the time, the BLQ was a better price and for the same features; on any other machine I would have had to spend much more.

Good luck. Take you time. And I LOVE your avatar photo. It's beautiful.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 PM

I have the Baby Lock Espire and I love it. It is made just for quilters, needle up&down,threader, knee lift or peddle free sewing. All of the above machines are good, but be sure when you purchase you get someone who can demo the machine and do maintance when needed. But don't stress out just relax and enjoy your new journey.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by mysacrifice
Rachel, I have both the 440QE and the Janome and I can speak HIGHLY about both. I use my Bernina for Patchwork and for Embroidery, but truthfully, the Janome can do patchwork just as well, if not better than the Bernina. I use the Janome for all free motion quilting and stitchin' in the ditch quilting. I've used it for patchwork once or twice and it works great there too. I really like the bright light on the Janome and if you can get the table as well, it is certainly worth its weight in gold! Please feel free to PM me any addt'l questions you may have.
I went to quilt show this past summer with a couple of friends and we decided to take a class where a local quilt shop offered the machines so that we didn't have to bring our machines/tools.

I own a Janome Memory Craft 9000 that I wouldn't trade for anything. It's about 12 years old and I paid top dollar for it because it had just come out. It does small embroidery and is an absolute workhorse. I also own a Janome Jem Platinum that I take to classes with me because it's lightweight. I love both Janome machines ... however, I do get some loops on the back when doing free motion quilting. I am aware that I can play with the tension.

Back to the quilt show; the local quilt shop provided us all with brand new Bernina 440 machines. Some of our class was on free motion quilting and I was blown out of the water at how beautiful the FMQ was on the Bernina.

I have since talked to my local sewing machine shop's owner about my Janome's (that I bought from him) and the Bernina. He said Bernina is known for beautiful stitches and is an excellent machine for FMQ. He also said that my MC 9000 is one of the best machines Janome has made. He has a brand new Bernina 155 (a basic machine) for $750 right now that I'm thinking of buying. The MC 9000's go for around $1,000 or less now. The MC 9000 has the needle up/down and knee lift lever that you talked about as well as tons of other nice features. The knee lift lever was something I had never heard of before looking at this machine and was very much a selling point for me. I cannot imagine not having one now, it is that helpful!

I have been looking on eBay for Bernina machines and they do have them. Looking there might give you an idea of the going prices for all brands of machines.

I totally agree with the ladies who say you have to sit at a machine and and have someone show you how to use it and tell you what each machine's benefits are. You've done excellent research, but the machine has to feel right for you. No shop will be offended if you want to try the machines before deciding on what to buy.

Best of luck and please let us all know what you decide. :)
Old 01-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Gosh, thanks everyone for your posts, I really appreciate y'alls time. It really is helping me sort through my options and narrow things down a bit. I love hearing what machine everyone has and their thoughts about it.

Originally Posted by barnbum
Good luck. Take you time. And I LOVE your avatar photo. It's beautiful.
Thank you, I really like your avatar as well! I love Minis but don't have the fencing for them right now. Two strands of hotwire keep my lazy Paint gelding in but wouldn't keep a short guy in. :)
Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Back to the quilt show; the local quilt shop provided us all with brand new Bernina 440 machines. Some of our class was on free motion quilting and I was blown out of the water at how beautiful the FMQ was on the Bernina.

I have since talked to my local sewing machine shop's owner about my Janome's (that I bought from him) and the Bernina. He said Bernina is known for beautiful stitches and is an excellent machine for FMQ. He also said that my MC 9000 is one of the best machines Janome has made. He has a brand new Bernina 155 (a basic machine) for $750 right now that I'm thinking of buying. The MC 9000's go for around $1,000 or less now. The MC 9000 has the needle up/down and knee lift lever that you talked about as well as tons of other nice features. The knee lift lever was something I had never heard of before looking at this machine and was very much a selling point for me. I cannot imagine not having one now, it is that helpful!

I have been looking on eBay for Bernina machines and they do have them. Looking there might give you an idea of the going prices for all brands of machines.

I totally agree with the ladies who say you have to sit at a machine and and have someone show you how to use it and tell you what each machine's benefits are. You've done excellent research, but the machine has to feel right for you. No shop will be offended if you want to try the machines before deciding on what to buy.

Best of luck and please let us all know what you decide. :)
I have read a couple times now some glowing reviews of the Bernina's free motion ability and that is a big part of why I'm so interested in that machine. I've seen a couple used 440's on ebay and on craigslist. You've helped me lean towards the Bernina even more! :)
Old 01-11-2010, 08:08 PM

I adore my Bernina, but part of the beauty of the Bernina is the wonderful warranty and the awesome dealer I have. Granted they are about 1 hour from my house, but it is worth the trip. Also, you get free classes on how to use your machine, which you can take as often as you want, for free (at least at my dealer). So, try to get it from a dealer. They have frequent sales, with great deals on used machines and as I said before, interest free financing. I didn't think I would qualify, but they did allow me to finance $1000 for 6 months. Paid it off in December, so "Nina" is mine free and clear!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I adore my Bernina, but part of the beauty of the Bernina is the wonderful warranty and the awesome dealer I have. Granted they are about 1 hour from my house, but it is worth the trip. Also, you get free classes on how to use your machine, which you can take as often as you want, for free (at least at my dealer). So, try to get it from a dealer. They have frequent sales, with great deals on used machines and as I said before, interest free financing. I didn't think I would qualify, but they did allow me to finance $1000 for 6 months. Paid it off in December, so "Nina" is mine free and clear!
There is a Bernina dealer about an hour away from me (everything is about an hour away because I live in the sticks). I've put them on my "for sure" list of stores to visit, probably next weekend. I'm not sure if they sell used machines but I won't know unless I go look, huh? :) I was going to look around a bit this past weekend but got busy adopting a cat at the animal shelter. She's laying next to me now and she's glad I didn't go look at sewing machines. :D
Old 01-11-2010, 08:49 PM

I own 2 Berninas, 2 older Pfaffs and 1 newer one i bought on ebay about a year ago and that is where i got my Bernina 1010. which is my favorite? Got 1 pfaff on craigs list and LOVE IT more then the newer one. i also have Singers..what i want to say is the same...test drive them all. just remember, the more features,the more that could go wrong,but u must try b4 u buy so u are confident. I love ALL of them..they each serve my needs very well. happy shopping. joanie
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM

I have a Viking No 1 (bought it new around 1992...workhorse, but machines changed a lot in the next few years. I use it at our cottage.

Janone silver (ASG anniversary edition) very light weight and good for taking somewhere for minor work, but just doesnt have the feel that I like. It is a good machine depending on what you want to use it for.

I have a Bernina 180(bought new in 2001) use it for sewing only and never for embroidery. Love it/

I have a Pfaff 2056 2002 new, love the built in dual feed. Great machine.

Babylock Elegante bought new 2007, wonderful machine, use mostly for embroidery but all functions on it great.

Brother Duetta bought new 2008, same as Babylock built by same company, wonderful machine, use mostly for embroidery all functions on it great.

Got a Bernina 830E for Christmas....wonderful!

I like all the above listed machines, however, I LOVE LOVE the Berninas. Their motto is "Nothing sews like a Bernina" and I believe it...they are fantastic machines. Made in Switzerland and have great features.;;

There are many great machines out there, you just need to try them and see what feels right to you and what fits your budget.

GOOD LUCK and happy quilting.

Margie
Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 AM

Good for you! I have 3 adopted/stray cats and have a dog now and 4 in the past all adopted or strays.

I think most Bernina dealers handle used machines because they trade them in. At this point I could trade my model for a newer one for about what I paid for it. They have sale promotions frequently through the year with that free financing. The last one was just before Christmas. Happy hunting!