Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New member, Need advice on overcoming inconsistant hand stitches. >

New member, Need advice on overcoming inconsistant hand stitches.

New member, Need advice on overcoming inconsistant hand stitches.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 PM

Welcome from Georgia! I think that, like everything else, practice makes perfect. I think the inconsistency gives the quilt personality. Just keep practicing and you will reach the point that you're satisfied with your stitching.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio. There's always room for improvement.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:43 PM

You didn't say how many stitches per inch you were trying to accomplish. Handquilting is an always evolving process. Consistency is prized with handstitchers. Try not to reach too far from your body as you quilt (don't "lay" on the quilt). It is harder to control the needle and tires you out. I am not a thimble-girl so prefer a pair of needle nose pliers to push and pull the needle as I work. As for frames, I will say that I learned to handquilt with my Mennonite MIL on a quilt frame just like the one you described (oh, the memories). As time went by, she decided to "upgrade" and went to an adjustable frame that she could change to suit her physical needs as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 AM

Welcome to this site. Inconsistent stitches. I have been to hand quilting classes with 4 top British ladies the message from them was keep going and not worry. The size of the stitches not important but try to be consistent it will get easier. They all hand quilt in different ways so try different styles. In a hoop, try with it tight so thimble bounces off to a bit slacker no bounce, not floppy. Try holding in your hand no hoop try borrowing a floor stand again watch tension of piece. A tip I had was to do blocks to join for quilt as you go. These blocks I promise you get better as you go. Also technique straight needle down and thimble or some pusher on hand below. I use those round sticky things on more than one finger. I also try to have a long nail on left hand first finger and use the nail to push up. Keep practising and have fun donot stress.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 AM

Hello There, There is a product out called Tiger Tape, it looks like masking tape but has little black lines marked on it. It will not leave a residue on your quilts and really helps in making your stitches consistent. It comes on a roll, and each peice can be used several times. I use the quilters 1/4 inch tape without markings when I want to quilt 1/4 inch, I love it and have used it for years.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned

Is there a stitch length that is consistent for you? If so, then practice this length until you are really comfortanble, then begin to gradualy shorten the length In judging quilts it is often the consistency that is more important and not the length. Don't try to get 20 stitches to the inch or fill the needle. If one stitch will give you the consistency then do one stitch and then gradually add stitches to the needle or whatever but go bigger and gradually work down.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM

One tip I learned with any hand work. Make sure your light is consistent whether day or night. Also the time of day makes a difference with the tension or stitch length. You may be more relaxed at one part of the day than another.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here's a link to the page of the originator of Tiger Tape with graphics of how it works. But you may find it easier to order elsewhere; Amazon carries it, for instance.
http://www.oldmadequilts.com/tiger_tape.html

Jan in VA
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM

Another option is to try a different method. I can't do a rocking stitich becasue it really bothers my wrist. So instead I do wha I call a running back stitch - I bring the needle up then back down behind where I came up, then bring the needle up again a little further up - rinse and repeat. I find I can regulate my stitch length easily and it creates a nice solid line on the wrong ide of the fabric (if you care about that...). The Quilt Police won't like it but I don't care- I like handwork and I don't like pain. So there!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM

Default handstitching

To all those who responded to my request re: consistant hand stitches, thanks to each of you. Thaere was good advice and I shall try as much as possible. I have to say that my pleasure is derived from the process not the finished product. So, good or bad, I shall continue to do better. again, good to hear from you all.