Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEW PFAFF Grand Quilter >

NEW PFAFF Grand Quilter

NEW PFAFF Grand Quilter

Old 05-27-2010, 09:42 PM

I have been a member of the Yahoo Pfaff Grand Quilter Group for 5 years. Without a doubt, this group and the Moderators know more about these machines than any single dealer in the country. I bought my machine and inspira frame 5 years ago, too. I cannot tell you the number of quilts that I have finished on it. The largest is a King scrap quilt - I did have to turn it 180 degrees about 2/3 of the way through as I ran out of harp space. I am told you can do fine designs, but I preferred to do free motion meandering and I am very happy with the results. For under $3,000 (with stitch regulator) I can finish my quilts and the only person I have to wait on is me. I have done 6 quilts this year and if you figure a minimum of $200 each to send them out, I am way ahead of the game. All I can say is make the jump and do it. There are a fair number of used machines to be had, as many start with this model and then jump up to real long arm. Join us in the Yahoo group, as someone is always upgrading. Thanks for letting me ramble

Race for the Cure
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74792[/ATTACH]

Yellow Ribbons and Purple Hearts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74793[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74787.jpe   attachment-74788.jpe  
Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM

What is the website for the Longarm group you are talking about, Id love to join. An you didnt ramble you gave me a lot to think about. I quess my biggest concern is just using the 1200 on a table, I cant afford the frame for awhile. If I knew I could use it on a table, without problems, I would probably jump in to it. thanks
Sharon
Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 PM

I am told they are dandy machines to quilt with on a table. I am not skilled enough to begin to try this task.

Go to Yahoo - Groups - Look for the Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter Group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PfaffHobbyGrandQuilter/

You will need to join the group, but it is worth your time. They are a super bunch and they even meet in a chat room every sunday night to chew the fabric!
There are several machines with frames and cruise controls for $2K if you can swing it. My system new was over $3K - a pittance when compared to a real longarm machine.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Hi there,
I have a Pfaff Grandquilter with an Inspira frame. Until now, all the quilts I have quilted have been quilted edge to edge. I have a X-mas quilt that is a panel in the center with several wide borders around it. I quilted the borders and want to hand quilt the panel. When I quilt the top and leave the center unquilted the whole middle of the quilt bunches up about 2 inches. I have ripped it out 3 times. I can't hand quilt it first because the fabric needs to go around the machine on the leaders. Help! Has anyone experienced this problem?
Maryellen
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM

Mary Ellen -

If you want to hand quilt the middle first, you can put all three pieces of your quilt on the take-up rail, loop it over the backing rail, and attach all three pieces to the quilt top (middle) rail. As long as you attach everything square and the tension is correct and even, you can quilt the rest of your quilt on the machine.

Darren
Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Hi Darren,
Thank you!
Have you done this before?
Maryellen
Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Absolutely! you will need to quilt the middle where you plan to eventually hand quilt...it will keep the whole quilt square and true while you hoop and handquilt. As you hand quilt an area, then pull out your machine stitches. I use a different color of thread that stands out (ugly) and it helps me find it as I work along.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Maryellen -

I have done this one time on a quilt that had no quilting at all, but was basted with pins, and I have "floated" several quilts.

Darren
Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Darren,
I'm attaching the url to the pattern. It is Dear Santa by CLothworks. I bought a QBOT, so I am quilting some pretty dense Christmas designs across the borders and then want to hand quilt the middle Santa part when done. This was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my sister-in-law last December. Now, I'll settle on just learning how to quilt it. I am making the big quilt in the background of the picture. Thanks for any help.
Maryellen

Dear Santa from Clothworks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256126[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-256120.pdf (257.8 KB, 335 views)
Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by skavanau
I quess my biggest concern is just using the 1200 on a table, I cant afford the frame for awhile. If I knew I could use it on a table, without problems, I would probably jump in to it. thanks
Sharon
You could always make a frame until you can afford something else. Mine cost about $200 to make. Here is a link to the plans. http://buildaquiltingframe.weebly.com/