Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilt fabrics >

New quilt fabrics

New quilt fabrics

Old 09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Yes, there are so many to chose from. I too get the email from Fabric Shack and can look at what is new in their store.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Just that much more to tempt you with my dear!
Yep they are schemers to us dreamers..... Bless their creative hearts
Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 AM

Thank God we keep seeing more lines, if not, then I would start to worry that the love of quilting has gone. I don't usually by several in a line. I also can't afford to, but am glad to know I have many choices when the time comes.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 AM

I just wish some of the "favorite" prints would stay around longer. Nothing worse than needing a bit more and finding out the manufacturer is no longer making that print. I remember when certain prints were always available.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 AM

I too wish some would stay around longer! Stitchit123 - what an appropriate (and cute) saying!!! I know we are "blessed" to have such a large amount to choose from, I guess I just think it gets overwhelming at times. And a fixed budget doesn't allow me to purchase everything I like either. Guess a lot of us are in that boat together.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I have fabrics I bought way back and the newer colors do not match them or go with them. So if I don't have coordinating fabrics to go with them then I make scrappy quilts. I know it is my fault for buying 4 - 6 yds. of most fabrics I have, and some more than that.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:35 AM

The fact that fabrics come and go is one of the things that makes quilts so fascinating and unique. You know no one will ever be making another quilt with that fabric. It also works well as a sales incentive: If we see something we really love -- better grab it now. But I believe there are blenders and basics that stay around for a longer time.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:12 PM

This is the reason that people talk about "dated" fabrics that they just couldn't possibly use for quilt making; this despite the price of the fabric. I love new lines of fabric, also, but because I am slow as cold oatmeal, I know when I buy one of a new line it will be "dated" before I ever get to it. My motto is to buy what looks good, be sure you got enough of it for some project or other, and not worry about whether it is the latest or the "datedist." Does anyone else share my amusement at the popularity of reproduction fabrics from the early 20th century? froggyintexas
Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 PM

I'm also careful about what I buy--total love has to exist before money changes hands!

Also, some of my best quilts, I believe, are made with fabrics that are several years old. Just because you don't get to a fabric or collection as soon as you buy it doesn't mean it needs to forever languish in a drawer or closet out of fear of looking dated. Enjoy your fabric, no matter how old it is!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

I never really thought about it, but I truly like all the choices. I cannot afford all of them, but I sure do like to look.