Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilt fabrics >

New quilt fabrics

New quilt fabrics

Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 AM

Default New quilt fabrics

Does anyone else think that maybe the manufacturers put out too many new lines of fabric all the time? Seems I can't keep up with the lines of fabric from just a few favorite manufacturers. Quilt shops must have a hard time keeping up with all the changes too. There's no way I can make a quilt or project from every line I love.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Back in the day you only had a few choices of small print quilt fabric. While I admit there are far too many new fabrics to ever use them all, I love picking and choosing my favourites.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Just that much more to tempt you with my dear!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:00 AM

I usually fabric shop for specific projects. That makes it easier to choose.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:19 AM

It forces you to purchase the entire coordinate line at the same time. Afterall, who knows if it will be there next month.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:27 AM

There is an amazing number of fabrics being produced. I find Fabric Shack is an excellent website to use, to keep up with what's coming out, as they carry a wide variety and their website is a breeze to use. If you click on 'shop', and then on 'new arrivals' (or however it is they phrase that), and do this a few times a week or month, you can quickly make note of what's recently come out. If you go to Hawthorne Threads (specializing in modern fabrics) and sign up for their newsletter, which is beautifully set up and easy to scan through, and if you go to Shabby Fabrics and sign up for their newsletter, which is equally beautiful and easy to scan through, you will pretty much have the new fabric lines covered.

As for choosing -- that's a different story! My main goal is to try and resist buying fat quarter bundles, which use up such a big chunk of the monthly budget. But I find them so appealing.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 AM

I agree there are more fabric lines than I have time to investigate, let alone make a quilt from. That said, I love that we are provided with such an abundance of choices. You're sure to find exactly what you want or need. I hope that never ends.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:02 AM

There is no such thing as too much fabric! hehe
Seriously, though, I really enjoy having something new to look at every month. If I can't find exactly what I want when I first go in, odds are there will be something new coming in soon. I guess it all depends on what color scheme you prefer. I love doing a polychromatic scheme for baby quilts. It is sometimes difficult to find 8+ fabrics that all work together at once. I often end up hitting 2-3 LQS'es in order to get them all. I suppose I could just do everything in Kona solids but what fun is that???
Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 AM

I agree there are many lines, however, we don't have to buy it all (do we?) I've found that if I buy what I really like it all works in the end. I will admit to liking to put many fabrics in a quilt and to having a stash that is w-a-a-a-y to large.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Back when I first started making quilts (1975) about all there was to choose from were small calico prints. I really enjoy all the choices we have now. Not everyone likes the same thing, civil war, 1930's reproductions, novelty, modern, florals, we are so lucky to have so much to choose from!