Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilt as you Go in which you quilt directly on to batting. >

New Quilt as you Go in which you quilt directly on to batting.

New Quilt as you Go in which you quilt directly on to batting.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:06 PM

I have done the quilting with my embroidery machine with no backing. I do this in columns and then sew the columns to get with a 1/4 inch seam to the backing and then square it up and bind it. I have done a queen and a king like this.[ATTACH=CONFIG]526541[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526542[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails basket-king-size.jpg   r-t.jpg  
Old 07-31-2015, 05:05 PM

http://www.quiltingintherain.blogspo...-tutorial.html
Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I think so you can add backing as one large piece (as in normal quilting) after the blocks are joined.
Yes, still has a backing which is placed last after all quilting done .The top pieces are sewn right side together one at a time around center square and quilted as you go. She uses a slider mat and feet down.I will try to attach blog link.

Last edited by ukdame; 07-31-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 PM

The Log Cabin wallhanging I made years ago like that used large squares of backing and batting layered together then the strips added on the top like you would any LC. I did it by hand on my lunch hour - sold for nice amount at the church bazaar.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:19 PM

I did my avatar that way. It is reverse applique which I marked and cut then spray glued 505 top batting and backing. Then finger turned and on sewing machine did the fancy stitches
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 PM

I have done a very small sample to learn QAYG, but the block, backing and batting were all quilted at the same time. Then they had to be attached together.. I use Warm & Natural batting for the most part. Also treated myself to a Marti Michell Craftsy class called "Piece by Piece, Quilt As You Go" to help me even more. I did pay for this class. But it's pretty good too. I'm going to try to get really good at this method as having the larger quilts done by a long armer can be expensive. Plus they have a gal called Ann Peterson that has a good class on quilting large quilts on a normal domestic sewing machine. Both have been extremely helpful to me.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Any chance of a link to where you saw it. I just can't imagine what is happening but would love to learn
This is a tutorial that describes the method and the materials.
http://www.maureencracknellhandmade....-tutorial.html
Old 08-01-2015, 04:39 AM

It works very well. I have used mostly cotton type Warm and Natural. I like to use double batting in my purses so I just quilt the exterior to the batting and also quilt the lining to the batting. It stabilized the totes nicely. You do need to clip batting at the top seams before topstitching to reduce bulk. I also have made many strip pouches (like with jelly rolls strips) and just sew directly on the batting so it is really already quilted if you desire less quilting or you can quilt some more in between the seams. Try it you will like it...LOL
Old 08-01-2015, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have some of this, same thing really.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/43497626?w...101336&veh=sem

I have drawn different block patterns on batting and then QAYG . Great for kids to do too.

Here is a video how the pre printed batting works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG-N-mfDqnA
Thanks for the video. Looks like fun. I wonder if it gets tedious.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:21 AM

I have been doing QAYG for about ten years, off and on. I have always cut my backing and batting and sewn directly to both. I've used both high and low loft batting and feel any type would work. If you don't add the backing with the batting, I would think you would have to tack it down after it is all put together. I can't wait to see pictures of what you come up with.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:25 AM

I guess I just don't understand why you would want to quilt to batting and not have a backing, especially if you later put a backing on and have to quilt that again. I would only want to quilt it once.

I did watch the video and the marked batting they use looks very stiff. Not sure I would like that. I'm scratching my head on this one.