Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter messed up quilt >

New quilter messed up quilt

New quilter messed up quilt

Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 PM

I handquilted a queen sized as my first quilt. 26+years later, I still have it. I pretty much think it is terribly put together, it is tearing, the fabric was low quality and I tend to use it as a picnic/astronomy blanket. But you know what, I still LOVE it....
Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 PM

I still have my first quilt and love it. When I was half way through quilting it, I decided it didn't look right, so I put it away for several years. I finally decided to finish it. What I found was that I was much too critical of my first quilt. Today it is on display with several of my later quilts and it holds its own. Move on to your next quilt. With time you may feel differently about your first quilt.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:06 AM

Welcome to the board and to the art of quilting. Just because you are not happy at the moment with the loft of batting used, doesn't mean you haven't made great accomplishments. Many of the quilters here have never made a king size quilt...especially being new to quilting. And so many of us make mistakes. Dust yourself off, be proud of what you have done already and move on to another project....next time you will know what to do!!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:25 AM

My first quilt was a crazy quilt and I had no idea what I was doing. I layer out the backing, put the batting over it and just sewed random patches over it, by hand, until it was all covered, then I bound it in store bought binding. My grandson, then 3 loved it, he still loves it at 16 and has used it every night since I gave it to him. I have over the years made him at least 3 other quilts but he still uses that crazy quilt, says it is so warm soft and snugly. My hand sewing did not hold up real well with years of washing and at least once a year I have had to fix parts of it for him. I just stick it under the machine and machine sew the edges that are coming unsewn. I've fixed it so much that I think all the patches are actually machine sewn now, lol. Any way, the message in this long missive is, USE IT, someone will love it.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Teach77a View Post
I am a very new quilter. For some reason I decided I could make a king size quilt. Well, after having several mistakes it is now finished. I spent a lot of time and money on it. I'm terribly disappointed. I chose low loft batting. The quilting just hasn't popped out. What should I do?
I think with a King Size quilt you probably want a thinner one. It won't be so bulky when it is folded in the closet for the summer. Takes up less shelf space.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:09 AM

Welcome from Michigan! My first effort was a small table runner so I am very impressed at you and others who begin big! A quilting class at a local quilt store is an excellent idea especially if you don't have anyone you can ask questions of as you work on your quilting.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:49 AM

In 30+ years I have made many mistakes. Hang on to it, you may change your mind Washing wil change the look of it also. Keep quilting
Old 07-15-2016, 05:58 AM

As a beginner we look for each and every mistake. We think it should be perfect well did you know that the
Amish make a mistake to show humility. Even the most accomplished quilter can and do make mistakes. You go quilter having completed a king you will find another smaller quilt ,table topper, etc much easier and don't point out your mistakes most people won't even see them. We don't allow the quilt police here so send a picture I'm sure your quilt is beautiful.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:13 AM

A king is quite an endeavor. And rereading your post I noticed that all you are frustrated about is the lack of "poofiness" so if your seams match and you like your color choices I call that a winner.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:07 AM

For you to take on a king size quilt AND FINISH IT, is a huge accomplishment. You should be very pleased with yourself. Every quilt you make is a learning experience. You will learn new techniques, new patterns, new color combinations, new friends. Embrace all of it. One thing you will also learn is how hard quilters can be on themselves - you will always be your worst critic. We try to say that we don't make mistakes, we just have some odd design elements! You will also discover that if you don't point out the 'error', most people will not notice it. Unless you are submitting it to be judged, don't stress over small things. Enjoy the process and keep on quiltin'.