Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter messed up quilt >

New quilter messed up quilt

New quilter messed up quilt

Old 07-15-2016, 07:22 AM

You finished it!!! Take pictures! Yes we are a picture greedy bunch. We love to show off our trophies and our boo-boos. But sometimes, those same boo-boos become our trophies just because it's the first.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM

The only perfect quilt is the one in your head. As others have said, every quilt I make is a learning experience and none of them are perfect. I have yet to have anyone complain that points got cut off, or stitches are crooked or whatever wasn't right. No one sees the mistakes but me and maybe some fellow quilters who have had the same problem. Remember, it's just fabric and have fun with it.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:22 AM

My first bed size quilt was made for my older sister. She loves knowing she got the first one. She always has it on her bed, under the bedspread so it still looks new after 20+ years. I am glad it lives under the bedspread, it is obviously a "first" quilt. Lol! (That quilt is tied, since I did not yet know how to quilt them)
Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 AM

We all started somwwhere. My first quilt was a churn dash quilt also. When I think about, I can picture all of the mistakes I must have made. However, my parents enjoy it and that is all that counts. Evdryone continues to learn as they go and still have questions. Enjoy it and feel accomplished, it took me three years to finish mine!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board, you will love it here.
We are our worst critics. No one looks as closely at our quilts as we do. Pretty colors and pattern will take eyes away from your mistakes
I have made around 200 quilts not to mention Comforters, biscuit quilts and such. I still make mistakes.
The secret talent is to know how to make the mistakes blend in so they aren't as noticeable.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

Keep it, because you made it, so that makes it special. The second quilt I ever made was for a king size quilt using a crib size quilt pattern, "All I had to do was make more blocks, right?" I learned so much making that quilt and then machine quilting it on my domestic sewing machine, and I learned even more. At times I will be looking for something and come across some of my earlier quilts, what a difference 25-30 years make; but do I still make mistakes, absolutely, but I learn from then and keep quilting, as it is my passion in life, so I can't quit, I'm addicted to quilts.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM

My first quilt was cut wrong for the pattern I wanted to make. Luckily a sweet experienced quilter shared a pattern that I could use with the pieces that I cut. My quilt was saved and I have been quilting to this day.
Originally Posted by Teach77a View Post
I am a very new quilter. For some reason I decided I could make a king size quilt. Well, after having several mistakes it is now finished. I spent a lot of time and money on it. I'm terribly disappointed. I chose low loft batting. The quilting just hasn't popped out. What should I do?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 PM

Enjoy and use it. Each quilt has it's own feeling some good others not. After its first wash it will change. Try a smaller quilt lap size and wash it.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:11 AM
Power Poster

Well, I think everyone just about covered it! Terrific job finishing, especially a king-size. Keep it, use it, learn from it. You never stop learning, this is the first step in your journey, now on to the next.....Oh and we love pictures!
Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 PM

After quilting for about 35 years, I still look at each quilt and think of things I should/could have done differently or better. I've learned that I can enjoy the process, learn along the way, and turn out functional and even pretty quilts. You'll find a lot of encouragement and understanding here. You finished your first quilt! That is more than many people even attempt. Each quilt will have its challenges, but enjoy the process and keep learning as you go.