Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: new rulers from Angela Walters.......??

new rulers from Angela Walters.......??

I asked this question on a thread that someone else started but I was late posting and the thread had dropped down too far.
    Do I need a special foot to use these rulers? Some of the newer squiggly-shaped rulers need a certain foot to accommodate the template thickness but I'm not sure if Angela's rulers need the special foot. Thanks.

I think all of the rulers used for machine quilting require a special foot.

Power Poster
    You really need a ruler foot for working with rulers. If the ruler slip over or under your foot you are not only going to break a needle, you run the danger of throwing off the timing on your machine. Westalee has a generic ruler foot for some machines and Bernina and Janome have their own ruler feet.

I have the Westalee foot and it fits all the rulers made for machine quilting that I have used so far. I have several of Angela Walters rulers.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I bought Juki's ruler foot. It didn't come with any warnings about any specific rulers. Most rulers are 1/4" thick so you need a foot that will stay steady with that thickness. If you are buying new rulers, just check the specs on the size.
    If it looks odd, ask before you buy.

Thanks everyone. I will check out the Westalee website.

I have an older Nolting long arm. There is only one foot for it and I believe it is called a Hopping Foot. I have to buy 3/8" thick rulers. The 1/4" are too short. That's if I want to use the ruler as a guide while I am quilting. Now, if I want to use the rulers to mark a pattern on my fabric and then freehand the sewing I can use any size rulers.

The assumption for most quilting rulers is that they are 1/4" in thickness. These are 1/4" thick. They would be good design rulers for me, but not sewing rulers.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    I got the ruler foot that Janome makes. Its really a must have for both the templates and Angelas rulers

Blog Entries
    Also most of the major machine makers have now come out with a ruler foot for their machines. You might check with your machine dealer

I just bought a set of her new rulers. I have several of the Westalee rulers that I love but the options these will give me were too good to pass up.

Thanks all. I ordered her first set and I ordered the Westaleee foot. I also want Angela's second set but have to wait until my budget allows it Darn budget!!