Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New sewing machine for graduation! >

New sewing machine for graduation!

New sewing machine for graduation!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 AM

Congratulations on your Nursing graduation and may I say you have made the best career choice ever so rewarding. As far as the sewing machine I purchased a Brother that does everything I needed it to do. When and if the time comes when I want to get something that has more bells and whistles I will do it then. I have several other machines and each does something I like, some are computerized some are not but the one I use the most is the Brother or the Janome.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Go to more than one sewing machine dealership to try out machines in your price range. You may be surprised to find that you "bond" with one brand more than the others.

If you can, try out Janome, Bernina and Pfaff brands; they are three of the top brands right now.

Also ask at a dealership if they have used machines in these brands in your price range. You get more "bang" for the buck with a used machine; some people trade up every year, similar to cars.

Instead of going for a machine that can both sew and embroider, I would get one machine dedicated to sewing and another machine for embroidery. Embroidery takes time to sew out; with two machines you can still be piecing while one machine works for you on embroidery.

I would add that, for me, the sound of the machine is important. My Bernina purrs when I sew. Loud machines and clunky machines are annoying to me. However, YMMV!
I now have a Pfaff Expressions 3800, and I like it, but I sewed on a Memory Craft (Janome now) 6000 for over 20 years. If I had to do it again, I'd do a little more shopping and get a Janome! (FYI, Sears Kenmore machines are made by Janome and are workhorses as well.)
Old 05-22-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Originally Posted by cafegold2
Welcome to Nursing. I loved it and was never sorry . Perhaps consider a basic machine and start on your masters degree soon with the rest of your gift.
Masters UGH,LOL.I bet more school it the last thing she is thinking of right now. Speaking as a nurse that has been up and down the ladder I suggest getting a good solid floor nursing foundation, So many young nurses climb the ladder too fast because administration pushes education, I have seen bedside nursing skills drasticly decline over the last several years. Most administative nurses have totaly forgotten the reality of bedside nursing and what it takes. I can speak from both ends I have been everywhere on the ladder from aide,to Director of Nursing and now reside on night shift back on one of the lower rungs lol.
I hear you on the decrease in nursing skills....There is a nurse where I work who says it's "not in her job description" to change the briefs of our incontinent residents. (I work in a facility for mentally and physically challenged adults.) For heaven's sake, who did it when Florence Nightingale was working!? I'll bet she didn't even HAVE an aide to help her! Sorry, I just had to vent a bit.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Congratulations on your accomplishment!!!!

If it were me I would buy an entire collection of vintage machines but I am an enabler when it comes to the vintage machines. :mrgreen: But I would consider buying a Singer 500A loaded with all of the accessories and taking the rest of the money and buying fabric and what not. You can get a super nice one with everything for around $300 or less. Even though the machine was built in 1962 for only one year I would put it against any high end Bernina (like the new 830) and send it back to school. For a machine that is almost 50 years old that is saying something!!

Billy
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM

No suggestions for a machine, but want to welcome you into the ranks of nurses. I'm glad that there are young people coming in to take the place of us oldsters who are retiring. I've been an RN for 42 years and am about worn out.
Congratulations
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM

That's just laziness. That is as much a nurses job as anything else. I'VE DONE IT ALL FROMM EMPTING BED PANS TO DELIVERYING BABIES, wound care,draw blood, give chemo. Loved my nursing career. I MADE SURE I HELPED MY NURSES AIDS WITH CHANGING AND TURNING AND ALL THEIR JOBS IF THEY NEEDED ME. I could always depend on them when i was in a pinch. Every one is important. I'll get off my soap box now.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by JACRN
That's just laziness. That is as much a nurses job as anything else. I'VE DONE IT ALL FROMM EMPTING BED PANS TO DELIVERYING BABIES, wound care,draw blood, give chemo. Loved my nursing career. I MADE SURE I HELPED MY NURSES AIDS WITH CHANGING AND TURNING AND ALL THEIR JOBS IF THEY NEEDED ME. I could always depend on them when i was in a pinch. Every one is important. I'll get off my soap box now.
My sentiments exactly! More power,too, to our new member, both in her nursing career, and in quilting!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Congratulations on your graduation! Now get yourself to every sewing machine store you can find and try out every machine possible. You need to find out what options you like and and what machine YOU are comfortable working with. If it's a $1400 machine that you fall in love with, so be it. Enjoy!