Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New survey....to quilt or cook? >

New survey....to quilt or cook?

New survey....to quilt or cook?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM

Prefer to quilt, so generally we eat out or I am doing more crockpot stuff. My kitchen is old and not that user friendly.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:03 PM

It depends. If I'm doing well sometimes I don't want to stop.

Then there are those other days when I goof up or things go wrong or I'm struggling with something new. That's when I don't mind cooking to take a break and regroup.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 PM

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Makes me feel like I'm not the lone ranger anymore. I usually cook two meals per week (both of us are retired -- except DH goes in to work one morning per week). One of the meals is on Monday night and the other is Tuesday's lunch (the day he works). After that it's leftovers or, as someone suggested, planned-overs. And of course there is a lot of eating out. We try to have family meals occasionally to bring everyone together (and they invite us over occasionally). No one just "drops in." I love the story of the plant on the stove!!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:16 PM

I would say quilting hands down, but if I am making something either one or both of us really want, I don't mind cooking. It is those times when one of us is hungry but don't know what we want. It is just the two of us now, and we get our eating times off. He won't want anything for breakfast, but sure as I fix myself something, about the time I am done eating, he comes and wants to know if I am hungry.

He doesn't mind fixing himself something...will cook sometimes. He may cook 3 or 4 days in a row, or he may go 3 or 4 weeks without cooking a meal, unless it is especially something he likes that I hate. Sometimes we eat pot pies, or a can of beef stew. And we eat out more than we should.

I just really like my own cooking, too...plus some dishes he does. He does broccoli and beef that is delicious, as well as fried rice...and makes good chili. And lots of things I fix, I do try to fix enough for a couple meals at least. Some things are even better as leftovers.

I could live on potato soup, vegetable soup made with hamburger, chili, and navy beans or pinto beans. But he likes a hamburger or steak or roast fairly often.

I just wish I didn't feel guilt when hubby cooks..
Old 03-05-2015, 01:41 PM

I would rather quilt. Like others said, we have to eat sometimes and no one else here cooks! My DH is a wonderful hubby, but he doesn't cook.
I love to cook also, but I really get tired of it. Then think how Blessed we are to have food and food to prepare! So man people don't have. Mariah
Old 03-05-2015, 06:06 PM

After 50 years of cooking I would rather quilt,sew,crochet be crafty.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:43 AM

I am not a fan of crock pots. I love cooking and enjoy the aroma of sauces and soups simmering on the stove for hours. I still have plenty of time in my sewing room while I cook. Cooking and quilting give me the same pleasure of anticipation so I enjoy both.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 AM

count me in for quilting!!! always have a huge glass of ice water on hand. Sewing also helps me watch my weight LOL!!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:55 AM

I had to answer this one because I would rather do ANYTHING besides cook. I will clean your house, scrub your toilets, watch your kids, but I HATE cooking. I raised 3 sons as a single parent and now that I don't have to cook, I won't. My boys were shocked when they heard me say for the first time that I hate to cook. But, Mom, you were always a good cook and you made a great meal every night. Yes, I did! For 25 years. I would much rather be sewing!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:25 AM

Since I was 'hit in the head' (car accident) my memory sucks.
I do't know how many times is take something out of the oven and my husband reminds me maybe an hour later, "Did you turn the oven off?"

So I really rely on my crockpot, and many times do not have to decide between cooking and quilting, I do both!

The strike that some US refineries are going through right now, affects my husband. One day he cooked breakfast, loaded and ran the dishwasher, and cooked dinner. I could get kind of used to this strike stuff!