Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie to childrens' quilts...advice please >

Newbie to childrens' quilts...advice please

Newbie to childrens' quilts...advice please

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I strongly advise that you wash all the fabrics before cutting them - so you know how they will behave when they get dunked.

I'm also in favor of washing battings like warm n natural before using them, too.

But that's because I prefer the flatter look to a finished quilt.

As far as the diagonal stitching - if one has a zigzag machine - set it for a very narrow zigzag when doing the diagonal stitching. That will allow some give to the quilting.

If you have extra fabric left over, a matching or coordinating pillowcase might be fun.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:56 AM

Or, if you do diagonal quilting, use a slight zig zag stitch, which will stretch.

Also, take pieces of the fabric you are using and place them behind the label. Then, if you need fabric for a fix, you have fabric which is the same age and has been washed the same as the quilt. If you have to make the label a little larger to hold the fabric, it is totally worth it.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
One suggestion I might make is to avoid straight line diagonal quilting. I made the mistake of doing that on my SIL's quilt and he has broken a lot of the stitching. He tends to kick or push against the quilt with his feet and that stretches it on the bias. The quilting stitches do not stretch, hence the breakage. So maybe avoid diagonal lines on your kids' quilts if you think they will be rough with them.

Last edited by mckwilter; 06-12-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=Sewnoma;7224435]The good news is that a patched quilt is an even-more-loved quilt! I have my "blankie" that my gran made for me when I was little, and it has been patched over and over again. I love each and every patch because some of them have stories (parts of other family member's old clothing, for example) and every patch is proof my "Grammy" loved me. My cousin still has his patched-up "blankie" too."

Sewnoma - your response reminds me of MY cousin. She had a Raggedy Anne doll that she loved to pieces. Her mom sewed a new doll and stuffed it with the old doll! My Aunt made sure that my cousin saw the old "Precious" go inside of the new one! My cousin is now 60 years old and still has that "new" doll sitting on an antique rocker.

Thanks for bringing back that sweet memory!
Old 06-12-2015, 04:30 PM

I like your suggestion, mckwilter, of

"Also, take pieces of the fabric you are using and place them behind the label. Then, if you need fabric for a fix, you have fabric which is the same age and has been washed the same as the quilt. If you have to make the label a little larger to hold the fabric, it is totally worth it.'
Old 06-12-2015, 05:07 PM

Lots of bright conversational fabrics are fun and interesting for kids. Google or Pinterest for I Spy Quilts for inspiration. You can use just one main focal fabric or several.
As others have mentioned- prewash fabrics, avoiding scented detergents and dryer sheets if any of the children have allergies. I don't use flannel as it tends to pill after washings. There are many simple patterns that children love- 6 inch finished squares alternating with 4 or nine patches, or another called Quick Strippie on Maryquilts.com. Choose fabrics individualized for each recipient, and use bias binding for more durability. If you need bits of certain fabrics- cats or transportation for example- just ask. I'm sure some of us can help! Have fun.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:50 PM

I have a friend who serges all of the quilts she gives to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren (some of whom are in their 20's. She says they hold together better. I used a stich on my sewing machine similar to a serging stitch for DGS and then did some echo quilting. It has held up very well.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:42 AM

Thanks everyone; yep, I always prewash my fabrics and batting so will do so with these quilts too. Good tip about the diagonal stitching...thanks for that.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:20 AM

I made my grandchildren quilts long before I ever considered myself a quilter. They were simple flannel squares sewed together, sandwiched together with puffy batting, and topstitched on the sewing machine. Oldest DGS is almost 24 and he still has all the blankets I made him. They are a little love worn, but it shows how much they have been loved. My DGKs tell me they have EVERY blanket I have ever made them. The early ones I put satin binding on them, which babies love to touch and pet. I replaced a couple satin bindings over the years, but seeing those very crude imitations of a quilt that I made make my heart just burst with love knowing how much they were appreciated. In other words, they need not be fancy, children love the simpler stuff. And I did not use the best of supplies, but they held up through countless washings.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:26 AM

I always wash my fabrics, but have never heard of washing the batting. I use warm and natural on all my quilts - even the baby ones. How do you wash and dry your batting? Then do you iron it?

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Thanks everyone; yep, I always prewash my fabrics and batting so will do so with these quilts too. Good tip about the diagonal stitching...thanks for that.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Tartan always has fabulous advice. Can't go wrong.