Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newly quilted quilt already coming apart >

Newly quilted quilt already coming apart

Newly quilted quilt already coming apart

Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Well, this is a sad situation. I made the quilt for my daughter...her MIL arranged for the quilter, (daughter had not requests made as to the thread etc), who was in her church, MIL is a quilter also. Since taking possession of the quilt my daughter got left by her husband. So, MIL and quilter are not in the picture. I am just sick about the situation. So, I'm gathering, it can be requilted? I told my daughter to just to take care of it and continue to monitor it.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I've also used monofilament threads (polyester, not nylon) with no problems. One thing is that you have to really secure the beginning and end of a quilting line, because the thread works loose easily. Could it be that this is what is happening, rather than that the thread is cutting the bottom thread?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 AM

Harriet Hargrove is a an award winning Master Quilter and author and has been using Monofilament for many many years. I have used it on several things and never had a problem.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM

I am a longarmer......that being said.....mono thread is not my choice of thread-not even for wallhangings. Our sisters of the past used cotton thread for quilting and it has lasted up to today (in most cases). I love the look of thread blending with the fabric.....gives another dimension to the quilt. The trouble with mono is when one stops sewing a "line" and proceeds to make the machine or hand knot the mono thread does not knot....because of its composition you cannot tug at it like "REGULAR" thread and get a tight knot, therefore, you get unraveling in the future....I think that is what is happening to your daughter's quilt. Unless you requested mono thread, I would suggest you return to the quilter and see what can be done........if she only uses mono thread - say goodbye........and not recommend her to anyone.......JMHO
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

it looks like you will need to quilt it again. i've only used invisible thread for wall hangings. not a quilt that will get a lot of use and washings.