Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Next Project

Dkm
    I'm usually a one and done. I don't like things looking at me saying "I'm over here finish me". Although I have MANY, MANY things waiting in the wings.

Blog Entries
    I always have more than project going. Usually different types of projects. I also have way more lined up to do than I have years to live.

If I don't have my next project laying somewhere to pick up,
    I will have it worked out in my brain. LOL!

I have 3 children at home aged 6-9, all boys, and they all keep me very busy. Until recently, I worked outside of the home at least 40 hours a week and with me, I can only have 2 projects going at once. I have a sewing closet, not a room, and therefore, no where by grocery sacks and pizza boxes to put my WIPs in.

I keep a running list of the projects I want to do on some paper. I also have a electronic one here on the board for the year, so I can keep track of it. I plan and plan. I have one in the hand quilting stage, then one in the piecing stage so I can keep them separate.

When I'm close to finishing the pieced one, I plan the next one. I don't start on it until I've finished the one currently quilting. The only exception to this is when I make smaller baby quilts that can be tied instead of quilted. I'll make 2 at a time, get them pieced and sandwiched, then tied and bound. All can be done in a single weekend.

Since I don't have the room to store UFO's, I refuse to have any. If I want to start something new bad enough, I know to finish what I already have going.

I also alternate large projects with small ones. I make 1 or 2 large quilts a year, then toss many a smaller project in between. I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes when something is finally finished.

I hope this helped.

MommaDorian, I am curious about your Autism Speaks sign. Can you tell me about it? My eldest Grand daughter is autistic.

I usually have two or three things going at the same time and switch back and forth. I piece on the machine during the day and hand quilt at night to leep from going to sleep in my chair. I have been told I have a short attention span but I eventually get them all done.

I try to just do one project at a time (with some exceptions!).
    I do have one plastic sweater container that has 6 or 7 projects just "waiting their turn". My biggest problem I find a pattern that I just have to do right now so I am almost to the point of needing another sweater container. I guess I just want to enjoy the process with every project I do whether it's a table runner or a queen size quilt. Just me!

Blog Entries
    I just volunteered to make a lap quilt for our Church's Fall Funraiser. I make look at what I already have and call it done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by betlinsmom
    MommaDorian, I am curious about your Autism Speaks sign. Can you tell me about it? My eldest Grand daughter is autistic.
    My 10 year old son has autism. He's a true joy. I don't know what our life would be like without him. He has Pervasive Developmental Disorder NOS. What is your GD like?

Power Poster
    I always have at least one waiting to be finished.

Blog Entries
    I too try to finish one project before starting another. But, sometimes life gets in the way. I just did some stitch in the ditch quilting for a friend - she's going to finish the blocks by hand, so I squeezed that in while piecing a top for my mom.
    Yes, I usually have projects waiting in the closet. The quilt I'm making for my mom - I bought the fabric almost 2 years ago!

Right now I have 5-6 projects going. All in different parts of compeletion.

Blog Entries
    I'm breaking my own rule!!! lol I started cutting 3" squares yesterday for a D9P scrap quilt. Then I found this great pattern with PP, which I've never done before. Now I'm doing the tutorial for the PP. My mind is swirling!!!

Blog Entries
    Had to, yes had to, start another quilt today. I volunteered to make a quilt for our church's Fall Festivial. It needs to be done ASAP of course. I am using 9" plaids and I plan to applique punpkins on it.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I do several at once, have several waiting and I'm always looking for the next pattern or fabric. I could never stick to just one!

I do one project at a time. I feel too overwhelmed if I get too many things going at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I'm breaking my own rule!!! lol I started cutting 3" squares yesterday for a D9P scrap quilt. Then I found this great pattern with PP, which I've never done before. Now I'm doing the tutorial for the PP. My mind is swirling!!!
    Starting PP and doing a tutorial too? Wowza. Enjoy it. Let us know when you post the tutorial!

I'm kinda breaking my rule too. I need to start one of my Christmas party gifts right away. I can make one, then make another and tweak it if I need to to make sure it's ready in time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I usually spend all my quilting time on one project, not working on more than 1 at a time. I spent 3 days making easy tote bags. Then I spent 2 days practicing my stitching on a line with a plain baby panel. I tell ya, I didn't get much better with practice. lol

Now I'm stuck on what to do next. I know what I want to do, but I don't have the fabric yet. I could make more tote bags, but I'd like to try something different.

If you're like me and only work on one project at time, do you have another waiting in the wings, all ready to start?
    now like 2 on the go as it stops boredom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2