Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
no borders >

no borders

no borders

Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Doesn't matter if it's the way things are headed. As long as you make them how you like, it doesn't matter how everyone else does it. You can add a border and sashing to any pattern that doesn't have them.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I am big on borders. I let the quilt tell me if it needs borders. I have made quilts without borders and many with many borders. Often I use borders to make quilt bigger. One that I am working on now will have 6 borders. Do what you think looks good. Do not be a sheep and follow the herd.

I agree....!!!

I've also noticed the trend and wondered if quilts from this era will look dated, or if this is a timeless look. I'm guessing it depends on the pattern.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM

When you're cold, and snuggling under a quilt, it doesn't matter if it has borders or not. The ones we use are usually tossed in a pile on the couch and you wouldn't know if there's a border on it anyway.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM

I agree with these sentiments - oops - meant to multi-quote but evidently didn't do it right. I think you should do what you want with your quilt. I've done them both ways.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 AM

It's a personal choice - not modern at all. The way I was taught was foundation strip piecing. When we had enough squares, we sewed them together and tied them (backing, army wool blanket, and piece top). No borders and no binding - just hemming.

The current lap quilt for DH has no borders - Window Paned D9P. My tumbler and Dancing Cranes both have wide borders.

I remember one quilt a while back, it was a rail fence. I ran out of a couple of fabrics. It was a Quilt in a Day pattern and I was suppose to get 5 blocks (8 1/2" unfinished) from each strip set but was only able to get four because fabric is not the same width. Some were 40" and some were 44". I bought my fabric according to the pattern. Well, I was short by several blocks. Went back to the store and they were out of some of the fabric I needed. But they had a bolt of one of the fabrics so I bought enough to put wide borders to make the quilt the right size. Lesson learned - buy extra fabric. If all goes well can always make matching pillowcases with the leftovers.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM

The picture I posted is a wallhanging. I thought a border would detract from the center which is the focus. No binding either. It has a facing, not binding.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM

As a lifelong hand quilter what I prefer the most is a "whole cloth" quilt. It allows me to work without having to put up with all of those seams. At our State fair there were a number of entries with no borders but only a few "whole cloth" quilts. One was bed size and a masterpiece. While I have made my share of pieced quilts in my 63 years I prefer to work with whole cloth and let the quilting tell the story. I make at least 21 Linus quilts a month but most of them are just a child friendly print with a solid piece of colored flannel on the back and some simple machine quilting with a decorative stitch. The little tag we sew on the Linus quilts shows Linus sucking his thumb and clutching a quilt to the side of his head. That is the way I picture most of my little quilts being used. The idea is to provide comfort to a child in pain or need. We all know of at least one child who loved his or her "blankie" to death. I think making it as simple as possible helps extend it's life and the comfort it brings.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Most of my quilts "tell" me that they need borders. Some do not. At any rate, I do not follow fashion in clothing, and I don't with quilting. I say let your quilts speak to you, and the quilt police need to get back to the station.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 AM

Haven's read all posts but my mother never had borders - just blocks out to the size she wanted. I kinda like that too. My borders are not so special.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 AM

I tend to like quilts without borders, or with borders that are the same as the background fabric just to make it a little bigger, or to make sure the blocks on the edge don't get cut off looking - but all is a personal preference, and very much depends on the design. Sometimes things need a frame, and sometimes they don't. I don't want a border to compete with all the work I put into my blocks!