Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No frame, no hoop, no thimble >

No frame, no hoop, no thimble

No frame, no hoop, no thimble

Old 06-20-2017, 10:33 AM

I have a nice large quilting frame. I can only sit at it about 30 minutes then my back starts to hurt. I was trying to quilt with a hoop but was finding that awkward at times. I just tried the no frame, no hoop method and I really like it!

I do use a thimble. I have a leather one I like. I recently picked up an inexpensive "plastic" one at the quilt shop and I like it. It is like those jelly shoes that used to be popular. My problem with a metal thimble is the side rubs on my ring finger causing a wee bit of pain.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
I also hand quilt with no frame/hoop. I do use a leather thimble though..my dd makes them for me and they last longer than the store kind. She discovered that by putting the rough side of the leather on the outside it is harder to pierce with the needle. Woodworking thimbles are made that way. Hubby is talking about getting me a frame but I keep telling him I don't need one. Will try the tray as it's awfully hot quilting here in the summer.
Tell your DH to save his money or spend it on fabric for your stash! I have wasted money on all types of hoops including the PVC type, and don't like any of them. Yes, its hot here in FL, too, so I intend to try the tray table idea, too. I found the pink thimble at Missouri Star QC and ordered it when I ordered fabric. I can't get to Joanns and MSQC was cheaper than the ones I found on ebay. Should have it by next week so can try the new thimble and my tray table at the same time, and maybe I can finish up a UFO or two!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:04 AM

I just started hand quilting, and I did it with no hoop, no frame, no thimble ... it was pretty relaxing. Just need to practice a bit more on spacing, size of stitches, and I'll be off to the races!

Glad you found the best way for you!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 AM

I do it this way too. I don't usually pin though; I thread baste for hand quikting. It was too much for me to hold onto a hoop and manuver everything around. I do use a leather thimble otherwise I get a sore finger.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:00 AM

Wow! I am so excited to have found this thread! I feel vindicated. I recently went back to hand quilting after machine quilting for years. But when I did, I found hand quilting to be so awkward, even though I hand quilted my last quilt only about four years ago. Is it that I've aged and my fingers are no longer as nimble? After a little quilting, I had considered ripping out the stitches and heading for my sewing machine. I felt a sort of guilt for feeling that way. All the time I was teaching myself to free-motion quilt, I had romanticized going back to hand quilting a traditional Dresden Plate quilt I'd started years ago.

At first I tried a large oval hoop. That was awful. A much smaller round hoop was a little better, but still pretty miserable. My stitches were awkward and uneven. The quilt was heavy and cumbersome. (I usually have a cat perched on it). I was really frustrated. Finally, I decided to pitch the hoops and just bundle the fabric onto my lap with the bulk of it on a TV tray. Hand quilting is so much better now. My stitches are more even. I actually enjoy quilting this way and it goes much quicker. I do use a thimble, two actually, depending on which direction I'm working. I quilt forward with my index finger and backwards with my thumb. Thanks all and quiltingboard for sharing this information which I've found invaluable.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-17-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 09-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I use a hoop and a leather thimble but the way we hand quilt is as unique as we are.
I realized that when all of us hand quilters got together. Every person did something different.
The bottom line is to find what works for you, which you have. Great!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I have never used a frame or hoop when handquilting after I realized I didn't like using them. I never felt like I was doing it wrong not using a frame. I do use a thimble. I don't want a sore finger. I don't pin baste, I spray baste. I also use a running stitch with tiger tape when handquilting. I won the handquilting award at a local quild show yesterday! It was a small show about 50 quilts. The guild members voted for it and they don't know I don't do it the standard way. I think some would be shocked. LOL
Old 09-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Hmm, this is making me really think. I do have the PVC frame which I haven't used. (I have been wanting to). But if it doesn't work, maybe I could use it for a design wall on a smaller scale...
I took a class once from a teacher who did beautiful hand quilting and she used a small round table to support the weight, like a four person one.