Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No more printing...My pledge...how about you... >

No more printing...My pledge...how about you...

No more printing...My pledge...how about you...

Old 05-19-2014, 07:09 AM

I will print the page that shows a picture of the quilt and put it in a document protector and in a binder. I save the pattern to a folder on my computer. That way, I can see what I have saved.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Atomicdog View Post
No, no, can't even pretend to go along with this one. I start shaking a little just thinking about not printing all those goodies!!

Cindy
I'm with you atomic! Computers crash! I want to know where it is when I need it, not have to go through dozens of files ...printing has a bad rap, but most printing paper now is made from renewable trees and/or recycled paper...I have no guilt at all!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 AM

I save the pic and directions on a memory stick, I can access it whenever I want. Print out the directions or patterns for inspiration. Less paper and ink wasted, really handy if I happen to find a different or easier way to do the same pattern. I can easily delete any pattern I know I will never do. I plan on doing a quilt album as well of all the quilts I have made, (well most) to keep a sort of log of who and what was made.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I also have pattern boxes stuffed full of downloaded patterns. I have an 8" pile of patterns sitting on my table in my sewing room, too. What kills me is the price of ink for my printer. It's a printer that doesn't print much with the ink I buy. I constantly buy ink. When I put in new ink, I have to purchase more, and it's 5 cartridges each time and the cost is high! I'm trying to find a printer that doesn't cost more than $69 and the ink is inexpensive. Anyone know of any?

Inexpensive ink... Does that insist? Sometimes we purchase a new printer as it is cheaper than the ink combo. Recently purchased a new printer and had trouble after installing it. Called company they worked with us and decided that the software was bad in the printer. They sent us a new print within 4 days delivery to our home. Guess what..........
No they did not want the defective printer back. Great customer service...think they want us to buy their ink. ??

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 05-19-2014, 07:44 AM

Maniac Quilter 2 said that when she finds something she likes, she puts the design into her EQ program. I was just wondering how do you do that? I have EQ7 but I am not familiar with all that it can do. How would you go about saving something you like into the EQ program?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 AM

I used to print out all my free patterns too until I found a program called CutePDFWriter. This program is a free download and allows you to save the file as a PDF. You click like you want to print the file but then click on this program and it will save it where ever you designate it to go. I now will just cruise through my patterns on my PC and print when I want to use it instead of reams and reams of notebooks full of patterns I'll probably never get to.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 AM

I know someone else who does that. Do you think this habit has anything to do with their always running low on paper and ink? LOL
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 AM

I would say the same thing on subscriptions - most of the quilt magazines are now in downloadable format and are available in in various applications so it's easy to read them on the computer or any tablets.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 AM

good for you, I am still doing it but I do get inspired when I am on a slump but that does not mean I actually use any of the patterns.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 AM

I need to quit printing, bookmarking and saving files on my PC. I have so many on my wish list it is overwhelming and I often don't start at all from not knowing where to start!