Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No more printing...My pledge...how about you... >

No more printing...My pledge...how about you...

No more printing...My pledge...how about you...

Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 AM

I will add to that: I will no longer buy practically every quilting magazine that entices me with a lovely quilt on the cover...I will purge my notebooks FULL of patterns torn from said magazines... I will take them to my guild meeting and try to entice another quilter with my lovely patterns!! ha ha ha... right there with you, sister!!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 AM

Oh this one is easy for me...the only patterns I print are my own, out of EQ7, when I'm getting ready to make a quilt. And I don't print a pattern, really, usually just an overall image of the quilt that I then mark up for colors (I only have a B&W printer) and use that as my guide for getting it put up on the design wall and keeping the pieces in proper order as I take them down and sew them together.

I don't like having things on paper - I much prefer digital format for my files. I keep a laptop in my sewing room that can access anything on our home network so that keeps me pretty well set.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:20 AM

I have hundreds of patterns downloaded plus all of those saved from magazines in binders. I keep doing it even though I have dozens of UFOs that I will probably never get to. Even so, the magazines are free from guild members at meetings an the binders and page protectors are from when I used them at work. It doesn't cost me to save to my hard drive. All in all it's a relatively benign compulsion. I think I'll stick with it rather than risk increasing my stash addition compulsion or add a new one. At least it doesn't take too much space or hurt my health. Joyce in Delaware
Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 AM

I am definitely with you on this!! A week ago I looked around my sewing room and realized I have containers
with nothing but printed patterns, ideas and tips that I had not looked through for ever!! I decided to do a purge and now these containers are gone! I am also saving on my computer but am now pulling these onto a USB drive and clearing out the computer space. If I live to be 100 and quilted 24/7 I could not make all the quilts that I see and love. Glad to see I was not the only one doing all the printing and saving! I love trees!!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:02 AM

Oh, how I wish I could do this! I have made the vow so many times and then in sneaks a quilt that just looks so great.

I have decided that I could have worse weaknesses and meanwhile I have lots of "pretty pictures" to look at - though I am trying to cut down on how many I print.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I also have pattern boxes stuffed full of downloaded patterns. I have an 8" pile of patterns sitting on my table in my sewing room, too. What kills me is the price of ink for my printer. It's a printer that doesn't print much with the ink I buy. I constantly buy ink. When I put in new ink, I have to purchase more, and it's 5 cartridges each time and the cost is high! I'm trying to find a printer that doesn't cost more than $69 and the ink is inexpensive. Anyone know of any?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Most home ink jet color printers ink cartridges costs are about the same. I was constantly buying new ink so I bought a small color laser and it prints thousands of pages from the cartridge. Amazon will have great clearances on printers every so often.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:53 AM

Well I did it! SAVED the cutest pincushion pattern from this forum. Seemed funny not to hear the printer chugging away! lol Oh and went to JAs to get batting...ya have to walk right past the mags to get to the register...nope...did not fondle ANY mags...no one
Old 05-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

That's why Pinterest is so great. You can save your "pins" there and go to them when you need them.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 AM

Wish I had enough guts to do that!