Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Non-Aerosol Spray Starch

Quote Originally Posted by newestnana
    Where do you buy lavender essential oil?
    Natural stuff--umm like natural foods. It is pricey but lasts a long time. Health food stores. GNC?

I had been using Faultless and ran out. My DH went to the store and got Niagra, I lked it better. The spray was finer and I thought covered better.

Mary Ellen's is good and well worth the expense! I know of a couple of quilt shops in my area that will refill my Mary Ellen's spray bottle for about $4.

Lavender essential oil is sold at health food stores

Power Poster
    sorry can't help you but I loved reading everyone elses comments.

I use the Niagra and it works great for me. I don't like aerosols at all.

I love Mary Ellen's Best Press. You don't have to use alot so it goes quite a ways.

There is also a product out there called "STAFLO" starch. It comes in several different sizes and it is concentrated. It is very cheap and lasts forever. You mix it as strong or as light as you want it. I would recommend that you make it very light for quilting. It works great for ironing cloths also. Can be found at most grocery stores as well as Wall Mart.

cc
    Yes, the Best Press is pricey and I think it doesn't give the body that starch does. I recently switched to Sta-Flo (mix 50/50 with water in my empty Best Press bottle!) as I had the same problem with the rusty nozzle on the Faultless brand. I might try the new non-aerosol, but I can't take the fragrance. When you press for any length of time, it gets to me. That's one thing about Best Press--it comes in fragrance-free.

Blog Entries
    I am trying the diy that you mix with vodka. Too many of these flake off. I like Mary E's but its too expensive when you do as many quilts as I do. I'll let you know how I like the homemade after it sits for 3 days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    I found something awhile back but no one carries it anymore. Dryel made a starch alternative and I loved that. They stopped making it however I can't even find it online anymore.
    I love Dryel also. I found it at Tuesday Morning a while back and bought every bottle they had. I only have two bottles left, then don't know what I'll do, maybe try making my own. I have been keeping the Dryel bottles and sprayers, so I won't run out of spray bottles any time soon.

Dee
    The starch mom used. Was my job on laundry day. It was in a blue box. But the receipe is great -thanks I'll be mixing my own. :thumbup: :-D

This is a great idea but I don't think I'm going to "waste" my vodka on starch LOL. I suspect another form of alcohol (rubbing alcohol?) would have the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepshed
    Home made spray starch...

I heard of people making homemade spray starch and adding a small amount of clear vodka to help it last longer, i thnk about 2 oz of vodka to a recipe similar to this site:

http://tipnut.com/homemade-lavender-starch-recipe/

I havent tried it, i like Niagara its $1.39 for a big can and lasts me a long time.... I saw the last time i got starch in the store a non-aerosol spritzer next to the Niagara, but they hadnt put a price on the product or the shelf, i checked the front 5 items, so didnt buy any. But I like Niagara.

Blog Entries
    Joanns has it in a gal. jug for $34.? less 40%

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Love that Mary Ellen's stuff, but boy is it pricey! Maybe one of our board members can direct us to a do-it-yourself version. The rust collecting on the can bugs me too. I use starch for my table linens and I always have to rinse and scrub the top of the spray can before I use it. What a pain.

I'd like to try liquid starch and make my own. But does it go bad? The Sta-Flo liquid starch is inexpensive.
    I use Sta-Flo and mix it in a spray bottle. I use about 2/3 starch and 1/3 water. It works great and it is so much cheaper than Mary Ellens.

Bev
    [quote/]I'd like to try liquid starch and make my own. But does it go bad? The Sta-Flo liquid starch is inexpensive.[/quote]

I think a similar thread to this one came around a while ago.
    I wrote in a recipe for liquid spray starch that was passed around at my guild, but I'll have to look it up now. I still am using up the Niagara non-aerosole that I've had for a while. But to tell you the truth, I haven't had a bit of trouble with the Niagara since I started using it. The spray top is all plastic and doesn't give me any problems. I've never had it clog up or anything else go wrong with it. With the one you make, you have to keep the large refill bottle of it in the refrigerator or it will go bad. I'm told it gets a nasty smell.
    The Niagara is certainly cheap enough. Someone even told me they get it at the dollar store.
    Just to ensure that I don't get flakiness on my fabrics, I spray a little above the fabric, and let it sort of float onto it, then I wait a few seconds before pressing.
    I guess that's the answer to flakiness because I've never had it happen with the Niagara. 8-)

Bev
    [quote]>I heard of people making homemade spray starch and adding a small amount of clear vodka to help it last longer, i think about 2 oz of vodka to a recipe similar to this site[quote]/

You may have read that wrong. I think you're supposed to pour about 2 ozs. of vodka into a jigger and toss it down while you're waiting for the starch to mix itself up. It may take a while and you made need more than 2 ozs.
    But that's just my opinion.
    :lol:

I use the concentrate Sta-Flo, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the canned and goes about 10 times further, maybe more. I mix 50/50 in spray bottle. I've never had it go bad, but they do say if you're not going to use it for a while to put in the refrigerator. I spray the fabrics, let them "soak" at least 2 hours then either put in the dryer or air dry, then iron.

Blog Entries
    I buy it by the gallon to help reduce the cost.

I did a quick down and dirty test of the "Best Press" stuff since there was no ingredient list available (no MSDS that I could find either so most schools will have troubles stocking it legally). Anyway, it didn't test positive for starch. I didn't bother to take it any further since I was just curious to find out if it contained a starch of some sort.

I finally got around to reading some of the posts about making your own starches with alcohols. Be very careful because all liquid alcohols are flamable (most have a pretty low ignition point in relative terms).

Bev
    My latest experiment was to mix Sta-Flo liquid starch & water (as per usage instructions on starch bottle) in a small plastic tub and soak my fabric thoroughly in it, hang it on the outside clothesline, and then iron it when it's dry.

This is exactly what my Mom and everyone else's (probably) did back years ago. I was a young teen in the fifties and can remember helping my mother do the washing and starching. The washer was an old-fashioned (even at that time) wringer style. Dad's dress shirts were starched to stiffness. Some other items got a starch mix that was watered down a bit more. When we took them in off the line they could almost walk on their own they were so stiff. But I believe I remember Mom boiling her starch. Anybody else remember that?

I picked up a bottle of the non aresol Nigara at the grocery store yesterday. I wanted it for the container more than the starch (as I use Sta Flo), it was $1.99. It works great.

Blog Entries
    I really like Niagara. Sometimes if I'm doing a lot, I do add a bit of extra water because the scent can be strong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3