Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-quilters do not understand

I don't throw out any fabric except a real small piece even if I make a mistake cutting it can make something else. Fabric is just to expensive to throw out no matter how small, but then us wealthy people who can afford a sewing machine for a craft wow I guess they have no hobbies. I try to keep my sewing room neat but when your cutting fabric, etc. sometimes you just can't have everything perfect especially when you have a home & family to take care of so be happy quilters/sewers/crafters enjoy our life. Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
    Anyway, I now take those scraps from the shirts and left over quilting and cut them into 1" squares. They will be a postage stamp quilt some day. (Hopefully)

I am making one with 2" squares, but I am using them as leaders and enders. I am up to 10 blocks of 8X8. I think this 1st one will have to be mine. I spotted some squares of my son's shorts when he was little. If he was good in the fabric store, he could pick out something for me to make shorts out of. He had geckos, marbles, Monopoly, planes and taxi cabs... When I get on a cutting kick (to TRY to get my scraps TAMED! Like THAT is going to happen!), when I get down to the 2" squares, the go in the leaders and enders basket. Send me a PM if you want to know more about leaders and enders.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I always hear "Why do you need all this fabric? What are you going to do with it? You'll never be able to use all of it" This all from people who don't financially support me and act like it is their money I'm using to buy it!
    That's my husband! He never does understand why I buy so much fabric.

My ex husband didn't get it either. He had no problems spending piles of cash on collectible toy tractors, but he would get that dumb/confused/annoyed look on his face when I bought fabric. And I truly didn't have much at all, just 2 little milk crates full.

I bet they wouldn't understand why I stood for about 30 minutes at a "scrap basket" in a quilt store sorting out scraps to buy! What was amazing was that my aunt and cousin who do not quilt were with me and really got into it. I could hardly convince that I had enough and get them away from it. Might make quilters out of them yet!

3000+ yards of fabric....really? Will we see you on TLC's program Horders, in the not to distant future?

Blog Entries
    I am very lucky. I have a friend who makes paper. When we get together I give him bags of all scraps from retreats, friends and me. He will take anything that is cotton. Sometimes it is hard for me not to go picking in the bags. As many of you have said...some scraps are big enough to make a quilt :-)
    Nana of 1 E and 2 G's

Blog Entries
    I found the "mile-a-minute" pattern on the internet. My friend who did a lot of RV traveling recommended it as a way of eliminating scrap clutter in her limited space.

Blog Entries
    I just have to comment, there are non-quilters (and non-sewers) that absolutely get it and I love it. I started quilting about 4 years ago now. My sister lives across the country from me and I've probably seen her twice in that time. She LOVES visiting quilt shops and fondling fabric. Seriously, she's not a sewer, quilter, crafter...but she loves fabric. She's actually been collecting fabric for a while and she's given me so much. She's up here visiting right now and stopped at a shop in Foam Lake, Saskatchewan on her drive up here and picked up a $140 fat quarter bundle of Japanese fabrics, fresh from the last market. She walked in the door at 1 a.m., after driving for 3 days, and promptly handed me the bag and said you have to look at this! We were up to 2 a.m. fondling and dreaming of what I could do with it.

So trust me, there are those out there that totally get it!
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

[

I don't make little scrappy squares, but do save my scraps for a lady who does. I just don't have the patience smile. Big and simple is my motto........lol..I do understand.

QUOTE=Lori S;5345560]You are so right .. they really do not get it... at all. But I have run into some quilters that don't get it either.. when it comes to smallish pieces... they just say pitch the scraps... but some quilters don't get the scrap thing either.
    I am glad my sewing space in in the basement.. guests don't see my "stuff" unless they are very "quilter friendly". That way I don't have to provide any "reason" for the "stuff".[/QUOTE]

I save everything except for crumbs - defined as less than 1"x1"! I have reupholstered my daughter's dining room chairs with selvedges and they are sooooo cool! I have only been quilting for 4.5 years and I have been saving my strings and selvedges since the beginning. I love making my own fabric by sewing my strings together as leaders/enders. If a strip is less than 5" long I will cut it into the largest square possible, down to 1" sq. I honestly don't need to buy any fabric for the rest of my life, but it does give me pleasure to find great deals on fabric. Most of my stash is in tubs now since I took most of it to Florida for my 10 month stay there and then brought it home again. I am lucky to have a daughter who is getting into quilting, so she will get my stash of material, thread, embroidery machine, sewing machines and longarm.

But I have had even quilters be surprised at the size of my stash!!! What can you do when a store is going out of business and the material is $2.67 a yard??? Even if it is "ugly", I can cut it small or use it in a backing!!!

Now I need to get my behind back up to my loft and quilt!!!

when my husband was alive he never gave me grief about my quilting because he had his hobbies too, he collected coins, stamps, guns, and many other things. my son has a computer room that matches my quilting room for sheer volume of stuff, so he understands. my poor daughter-in-law doesn't keep anything that isn't functional, at the moment, even if it will be needed soon. she doesn't get it.

i appreciate looking at the tidiness of people who don't get it but wouldn't want to live there. where do they go for comfort when feeling down? how do they get warm when it gets cold? what do they touch for that warm, fuzzy feeling? i need to pet some fabric!
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

Power Poster
    You're absolutely right about non-quilters and some quilters not understanding about our fabric "stash". I admit I had quite a "stash", and when we were forced to leave our home of 33+ years, giving it back to the bank I suffered with every piece of fabric I had to leave behind, including the fabric I got from my sister's stash when she passed away the year before. It was gut wrenching to say the least. I logically knew that I could not take all my fabric, but I gave the bulk of it to a friend of mine, then I just put my foot down and said "NO MORE:". I knew that I had to keep quilting for my sanity, being with mydisabled husband 24/7, so I have bins in my bedroom and a few more in the dining room. I knew I could not afford to buy more fabric, and knew that eventually I would use it up. Case in point, when making the family reunion quilt, I had the background and backing fabric in my "stash", although I had to ask my friend for one large piece back for the quilt backing, but having that fabric and my niece who sent me the batting, I made that quilt and didn't need to buy any fabric. Now that is a fantastic proposition, and the quilt was a big hit at the reunion. Sometimes I just need to pick up my fabric and plan what t o make, but at least it is there for me to use. You just have to realize that some people never completely understand and probably never will.

By any chance do you mean Quiltiques? They have such nice displays

Quote Originally Posted by kpelletier83 View Post
    Yeah, well those Harley's men drive as a hobby are expensive too. And you can't get warm under them when it is cold. At least our hobby has a useful purpose. And even if it didn't....poo on them. :-)
    Too funny!
    Sheri (zkosh)
    Those who can, teach. Those who canít teach get into some less significant line of work.

After several years of one project at a time... I am finally buying at least a half yard extra of anything going into a project. Scrappy quilts are the best medicine for using your brain to select and make do with the "almost" right colors and patterns.
    Have a Blessed Day

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    You are so right .. they really do not get it... at all. But I have run into some quilters that don't get it either.. when it comes to smallish pieces... they just say pitch the scraps... but some quilters don't get the scrap thing either.
    I am glad my sewing space in in the basement.. guests don't see my "stuff" unless they are very "quilter friendly". That way I don't have to provide any "reason" for the "stuff".
    I have a quilting friend who drives me crazy throwing away fabric. If it is less than 1/4 yard, she pitches it. I just follow right behind her and retrieve it. I'm not too proud to dumpster dive. I love scrappy quilts. lol
    Last edited by nstitches4u; 07-08-2012 at 01:23 PM.

It is not necessary to understand everything, just to be happy the person has things that satisfy THEM!

"I have a quilting friend who drives me crazy throwing away fabric. " Me too! She buys new for every project and doesn't save anything.

Sorry I didn't see the question about the Mile-a-Minute quilt. I start with one long strip, leftover from binding or border, and start piecing smaller bits to it, all along the long strip, leaving a bit of room between each little piece. When done with the strip, I cut them apart, making the edges strait, then grab another long strip and add the smaller units to the long one in the same way, log cabin-ish, but not strait or even or even matching, just adding and adding until they are big enough for a quilt block. Does that make sense?

I'm sure there's a better explanation, with photos, out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    You are so right .. they really do not get it... at all. But I have run into some quilters that don't get it either.. when it comes to smallish pieces... they just say pitch the scraps... but some quilters don't get the scrap thing either.
    I am glad my sewing space in in the basement.. guests don't see my "stuff" unless they are very "quilter friendly". That way I don't have to provide any "reason" for the "stuff".
    I used to think, "Why would I need to save strips an inch wide?" I put a whole bunch of them into a bag, thinking I could give them to someone, instead of throwing them away. Well, recently on a major reorganization of my sewing room, I found that bag and reclaimed them. I used 3/4" strips on a quilt a couple years ago. So I know the possibility of me using those inch wide strips could happen.

When someone makes a comment about my fabric or machines or etc....along the lines of expense or extravagance...I always ask what they do for pleasure...what are their hobbies? My husband has a wood working shop and kayaks...he never says a word to me about my hobby and the expense and I never mention his tools or toys....If we can live with it, who else matters?
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I love scraps they make the best quilts- it si so much fun going through your stash to find what color combination you can put togather without going out to buy every piece you need. I LOVE IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    it's not just non-quilters --- there are quilters too who do not save anything beyond what their current project requires.
    i have a friend who has been creating beautiful quilts for 30 years---she uses exactly what her pattern requires & (used to) toss anything left over---i about had a heart attack when she first told me this---& told me----'oh- don't become one of THOSE string savers!'....it took me a couple years but i did finally convince her to let me have the contents of her (waste basket) before bagging it to go to the landfill---she just shakes her head & gives it up---sometimes there is 1/2 a yard or more pieces in there---i know she is not alone- lots of people use what is required then get rid of what ever was left over- regardless of amount- and then there are those of us who buy extra on purpose & keep a stash and save every scrap--- not every quilter understands any more than a non-quilter understands.
    I also have a friend like this....luckily she quickly recognized my almost heart failure at her tossing "scraps". I am now the recipient of bags of "goodies". Some I am able to use, some go to the dog bed project. All is good!

I am only on my 2nd finished quilt, and have one ready to put in the frames. I love to buy fabric, and find it lots of fun, but I do need an inspiration or pattern to decide what to purchase. Although I am building a small stash, I do have to wonder when I see these sewing rooms with more fabric than my LQS. It would be impossible for the owner to use all that fabric in a lifetime. I don't mean to offend anyone but it seems like an addiction or obsession to me.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I get that one all the time from people who then expect me to make them quilts to justify the cost of MY machine ;-)
    Well, if they are willing to PAY you for it, that would certainly justify it! (Not that you need to justify anything to anyone other than yourself.)
    Stephanie in Mena

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast