Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Non-quilters do not understand

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    it's not just non-quilters --- there are quilters too who do not save anything beyond what their current project requires.
    i have a friend who has been creating beautiful quilts for 30 years---she uses exactly what her pattern requires & (used to) toss anything left over---i about had a heart attack when she first told me this---& told me----'oh- don't become one of THOSE string savers!'....it took me a couple years but i did finally convince her to let me have the contents of her (waste basket) before bagging it to go to the landfill---she just shakes her head & gives it up---sometimes there is 1/2 a yard or more pieces in there---i know she is not alone- lots of people use what is required then get rid of what ever was left over- regardless of amount- and then there are those of us who buy extra on purpose & keep a stash and save every scrap--- not every quilter understands any more than a non-quilter understands.

I'm with you. I save everything, including the selvage. I always buy extra as well. It's like Jello, there's always room for more.

When we were packing to move to Florida from Michigan I had someone that was not into sewing help me pack. That was a big mistake, she wanted to throw out some small pieces of leather that I use to make doll shoes. I pulled them out of the trash, she does not let me forget it.

If I find fabric on a great sale I usually buy a lot of it---5-10 yds! Sometimes plans change or I use part of it for the and part for that until I'm sick of seeing it. Then I take it to our monthly week long quilting retreat at Threads of Time in Danville, Ill. and give it away. I've even done that with partially finished quilt tops or blocks. There's always someone willing to take the things that I no longer want. Just as sometimes I like their scraps. Scraps are great!!!!!
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

reading all these comments make me laugh.I tell my kids I am not leaving them any money-just fabric,etc.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    I look at stash pictures on here and just want to drool. My fabric stash fits in one bookcase. It is all stored by color and anything bigger than a yard is folded and kept on a couple of shelves in the cupboard. I am not working anymore so I am not earning money for my hobby like I used to. I usually only buy fabric if I have a project in mind. I try not to buy books anymore unless I JUST HAVE TO HAVE IT - I probably have almost 200 books and over 900 patterns I have pulled from magazines - not to mention pictures of quilts I have seen and want to make. I will never live long enough to make all the quilts I would love to make ...

I went to a quilt show recently and walked out with four friends who had their arms full - I had purchased a fat quarter! One of them asked me how I could control myself because she had heard me oooh and aaaww over several patterns and/or fabrics. I told her that no fabric came into the house without a specific project in mind, no kits would be purchased unless they would be made in 90 days - she admired my self-control. It's not that I didn't want them. There are just so many hours in a day and with a new longarm in my family room, I have a full plate.

I do save leftover fabrics from projects. I usually cut them into 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 inch squares for scrappy quilts if they are less than a fat quarter. Fat quarters and yardage get saved because they would be enough to do something with. I love making a scrappy quilt and seeing all the memories in them. One of the ladies who used to do my longarm quilting said she always loved doing a scrappy quilt for me because they held memories for her of quilts she had done before.

I don't usually save anything smaller than 1.5 inch squares - I don't have a use for them. I am sure there is someone out there who would use them, it's just not me. I save my leftover binding pieces to use to bind scrappy quilts - there is no reason to make them from yardage, I just pull out my leftovers, sew them together and am ready to go. Someday, I will sit and sew them all together so they are ready to go (then I could just add to them as I go along).

I am the only quilter in my family - my daughter has an appreciation for it and would not just toss all my stuff - she has quite a few of my quilts stashed for use when she moves out.

Blog Entries
    Oh, my gosh! I was long-winded!!! By the way, the quilt that is my avatar is made from my stash!

I'm with you all. I even keep the "unusable" scraps. I just made 4 kitty pillows for our no-kill cat shelter in West Linn. I have enough unusables to make at least 10 more and still have some old material I need to use up. The rest I am saving and will try to make a scrappy quilt or two - when I have time. I also have my sewing room in the lower part of our tri-level. I can just close the door and no one knows what is lurking there unless I want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    My house is messy ... with fabric piles all over the place and lots of bits of scraps .... but I wouldn't have it any other way. On the bad days I can sit in my "squalor" and dream, plan, and process. And on the good days I can sew up a storm! It's a beautiful life I have!
    You go, girl! I love that attitude! People give my static about all my fabric, too, & I just say "When you start paying for it, then you get a say in it". That shuts'em up in a hurry! I mean, I say it in a kind of jokey way so they don't think I'm a complete psycho shrew, but they get the idea. As long as it doesn't "disturb" me or DH or the dog (& it doesn't), it ain't nobody's bid-ness but my own! Like my Mother used to say about meddling people "You tend to your plate & I'll tend to mine!!". Period.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    My husband and I each have hobbies. He pretends interest in my sewing/quilting and I pretend interest in his hobby. We each make the proper ohhhing and ahhhing over new acquisitions and happily go to our separate caves.
    You sound just like DH & I! He's "excited" about my quilting stuff & I'm "thrilled" over his guy stuff (bows, woodworking, his motorcycle, his telescopes, etc). It's nice that we both have our own interests & leave the other own alone re theirs.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

We collect fabric and others collect "do-dads" that have to be dusted every week (?) or not! So what's the difference?

Blog Entries
    I have read several of the pages on this thread and now it's time for me to take GGS to mothers day out, but this makes me remember a funny (to me) story. I used to go to a sit-n-sew at a LQS and one of the ladies who made absolutly gorgeous quilts all out of the LQS fabric would throw her scraps into the waste basket beside her machine. I had watched her do this several times and one day she cut these strips from a queen size quilt, about 4" wide that were already sandwiched with warm and natural batting and a gorgeous backing, and then she dropped the strips into her wastebasket, I know she paid $9.99 per yard for the fabric. After lunch that day I went over and asked if she was throwing all that fabric in her trash can away and when she said yes I asked if she minded if I took it. She got a really strange look (disgusted) look on her face and said "why" and I said because it was beautiful and would go great on a quilt I was making at home. Her response was "well, if you want to take my trash home, I don't care." I felt a little like a homeless person as I gathered up her cast offs, but I did, and it did look beautiful on my quilt. Isn't great that we are all so different!

I get alot of fabric scraps from my sister (she does alot of sewing and mom and she also do quilts for charity). I get leftovers - cottons, polyester, fleece, you name it. If it wasn't for all the scraps donated to my collection I have also accumulated, I don't know how I would be surviving. I have been unemployed for over a year and if it weren't for having a stash I qould be going crazy (can't afford to buy much - just that little bit to finish a quilt). Yard sales have become my good friend for supplies also. People just don't see or think the way a quilter does.

Oh yes, I have been deep in the process of a project and the dining room table is covered. She says, "where do you eat dinner?" and "I just dont have time for hobbies" Really?? This is my pleasure and release and I sell what I make in craft fairs. That makes it more than a hobby. So I totally get your frustration. I also save every small peice of fabric I can get.

Those who don't quilt & have no desire too, just don't get it & never will, lol! Their loss, right! I tell people I am a quilter & absolutely love it. I really don't care what these types think, as they really are clueless, aren't they! I wonder too, if these kind have an hobbies, or something they love doing, besides cleaning house. I doubt it, or they might understand. If they don't get, don't bother to explain, it won't help, just keep quilting & enjoy!...
    Nancy/NC...
    "Because Nice Matters"
    "Choose To Be Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
    I have read several of the pages on this thread and now it's time for me to take GGS to mothers day out, but this makes me remember a funny (to me) story. I used to go to a sit-n-sew at a LQS and one of the ladies who made absolutly gorgeous quilts all out of the LQS fabric would throw her scraps into the waste basket beside her machine. I had watched her do this several times and one day she cut these strips from a queen size quilt, about 4" wide that were already sandwiched with warm and natural batting and a gorgeous backing, and then she dropped the strips into her wastebasket, I know she paid $9.99 per yard for the fabric. After lunch that day I went over and asked if she was throwing all that fabric in her trash can away and when she said yes I asked if she minded if I took it. She got a really strange look (disgusted) look on her face and said "why" and I said because it was beautiful and would go great on a quilt I was making at home. Her response was "well, if you want to take my trash home, I don't care." I felt a little like a homeless person as I gathered up her cast offs, but I did, and it did look beautiful on my quilt. Isn't great that we are all so different!
    Good for you! I would have done this too, even if I didn't know what I would do with it all, lol!
    Nancy/NC...
    "Because Nice Matters"
    "Choose To Be Happy"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6