Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-quilters Have No Ideal about Time..Sheeeeeeeesh.

I agree with every reply. I had to retire 13 years ago to care for my husband who was greavely injured, and folks seem to think just because I no longer work outside my home I have 24 hours a day to be at their disposal. Quilting is my therapy, but you know what? I don't get to go to therapy every day! Glad for you to vent, and don't ever feel guilty for using that little two letter word"NO".

I agree with every reply. I had to retire 13 years ago to care for my husband who was greavely injured, and folks seem to think just because I no longer work outside my home I have 24 hours a day to be at their disposal. Quilting is my therapy, but you know what? I don't get to go to therapy every day! Glad for you to vent, and don't ever feel guilty for using that little two letter word"NO".

Blog Entries
    I have found the solution for when people want me to do something in a short period of time. I do home dec. I price it to the sky. In fact I have someone that left a message yesterday wanting me to make a window seat cushion. I think it is going to be very expensive. I am getting real tired of trying to please strangers and listening to their demands, so I think I may stop doing these things. I would rather be quilting now. Just make the price so ridiculously high they will look elsewhere.

Banned
    Wouldn't it be nice to be Samantha!!! twitch twitch! :lol: :lol:

Why didn't you bring out your magic wand? LoL! they just don't get it!

Blog Entries
    I worked for a company and the Purchasing Manager had a plaque on his wall:

"Lack of Planning on your part, does not necessitate an Emergency on my part!"

It certainly applies to more than purchasing.

Blog Entries
    yup...funny...
    right before Christmas (Dec. 22nd to be exact) i had a lady call me...she's a quilter...and knows time...to ask if i could possibly quilt AND BIND a king size quilt she had just finished...for Christmas--
    Joke right?--she was not joking, she really thought i would do this...even though i had contacted all of my regulars (including her) and let them know i was not accepting ANY work after November 15- after all i need to get one or two of my own projects done for the holidays. she was unhappy---and found someone to tie the quilt for her in 2 days...than called me again On Christmas Eve as hubby and i were on the way to family gathering to tell me she had it tied...would i PLEASE do the binding...right then! i told her i was not even home and No, i could not do that...
    we got back home about 11pm that night and you know what...that king sized quilt in a huge bag were hanging on my front door! with a note saying..."I've given up on this making it for tomorrow-when you get it done please call me"
    people are funny :roll:

Thank you for putting a smile on my face.....had to laugh at that one. Tell her if she wants to pay $1,000 apiece plus costs (backing, batting, thread) I'll do it. Would NOT touch it on that short of notice otherwise. Don't even like doing them. And you're right - non-quilters are clueless of the time and costs associated with quilting. I had several calls on my Tropical Memories wallhanging and most I was offered was $200 which didn't even cover cost of materials.....lol. Good luck.

OMG tooo funny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Quote Originally Posted by cctx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Don't you just wave your magic wand? ? ? ?
    Yeah, Debbie or twitch your little nose.....
    More like "Don't make me get out my flying monkeys.....aaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaaaaaaa"
    Awe, get out the flying monkeys!!! I would pay good money to see that!! LOL

so how much was she willing to pay?
    I'm not interested, having never done a t-shirt quilt, but a fellow quilter here was once asked to do a double wedding quilt in 3 months or so, queen size, for $400.00 including materials. What I remember most was the string of angry words the request elicited from everyone in the room...
    Looking back it is just laughable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Grrr! People!!! I had a lady ask me the other day,,"How much do you charge for a quilt??" Period! I looked at her and said,"well, do you want a Ford or a Cadillac?" She had no clue....

There is also another quilt website in Texas that will make the quilts for her www.tshirtquiltstx.com. How unrealistic is that lady!

It's a wonder she didn't say, " well there's nothing to it, it's very straight forward and won't take you long".
    I love people like that, NOT,
    I make cards, okay a completely different thing but you'd be surprised at how many people give you 2/3 days notice to make "that special" card,

Deb, I PM'd you

Ckcowl, your story is SHOCKING. A person has to be lacking the normal regard for others, much like violent criminals lack concern or insight, to have those expectations and behave like that. Creepy that she was on your doorstep. To expect someone else to sit and bind your quilt on Christmas Eve is just appalling.

My thought on doing quilts for others is, If you start doing it for others, it is then a job.... I retired so I did not have a job. I do not want to change my well loved hobby into a well hated job!!! It would no longer be fun.

Blog Entries
    You cannot make someone who does not sew understand the time involved in making a quilt, much less stabilizing one like this lady wants. People think that if you sew you can make whatever they want for $2 and you will be happy to do it. They do not understand that someone who has been sewing for many years has a TALENT that is being honed and perfected every time he/she sews. You would never ask a carpenter who has been in the business for 30+ years to build your house for $100, the same goes for quilting.These type of people will never get it.

She is nuts. Not only does she not know how much time it takes, she will be agast at the cost. She doesn't sound like a happy customer in the making.

Blog Entries
    Awwwwww Deb and just yesterday I called you Supperwoman..... lol. I dont like t shirt quilts,to make that is. Never....Jo

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeannie t
    Why didn't you bring out your magic wand? LoL! they just don't get it!
    My favorite
    Don't make me break out my flying monkeys....oz witch.

I knew sewing machines sew forward and reverse, but, super speed?
    I told my sister, I would make her a quilt, but, I was currently working on one, and it would be awhile before I started one for her. She said how long? I said I can't put a time on it. I have alot to do to make a quilt. How long you going to take?? I can't say, the way I work could be about 3-5 months. 3-5 months!!! Is that what you said??
    I would try to be brief but, friendly telling her you don't work by clocks, and are not sure you could meet her time frame and suggest someone else

Blog Entries
    People who don't quilt or sew have no idea how much times things take.

I have family that have more idea's of what they want me to make for them for Free. I don't mind doing that but I hate to have a time line put on it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I love to sew for friends, etc but on my time. She had so much time and called me late. Plus I sew for really cheap. LIke 225.00 for a king. And only if someone calls me.I used to do it because I felt obligated when asked, and now I tell them, I just can't any more, and it is true. My bones and elbow are getting to the point I only have time to do for me and those I chose. LOL. I love my quilting. I m learning not to be taken advantage of. When I offer, it's on me, sorry to sound like a baby, I was just shocked by this stranger asking when I am doing for my friends. LOL. I referred her to the Texas website someone recommended.
    I had someone pm me and say I could skip their quilt....NOOOOOOOOOOO I choose to deal with my friends...I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    I would give her this info, since she is in Texas. There are several listings for this service that are in Texas. I know people that have used Texas Tshirt and been very pleased.
    www.texastshirtquilts.com
    Loved their pricing. Quick turnaround carries 20% surcharge for coffee.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast