Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-quilters Have No Ideal about Time..Sheeeeeeeesh.

Blog Entries
    I really think that people do not understand how long it takes just to cut and stabilize fabric for a ft shirt quilt. Hopefully she will find someone to do it. If people no nothing about sewing at all they think it is done in a flash. My husband knows better and even he sometimes says "it won't take but a minute" BOy does he get the Look

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I got a call this morning, abuot 5 minutes ago. And this person, who is really nice, asked me if I could make her two t-shirt quilts with her daughters t-shirts,,, blah..blah..blah... I do not quilt for outsiders for a living, I do them once in a while for friends. Anyway, someone gave her my name.
    OK this is not a problem, I tell people, no time frame, when it's done. LOL. SHe wants one full size by April 18th and one by May 18th. I was like "you are kidding". She said, well you have plenty of time. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    SO this lady lives in GLen ROse, TExas. I have her info. If anyone else would like to "play" with her , pm me. I just cannot do it. I know some do but not this chickie doodle. I get too many hitches in my git-along and never know when I will have a broken spoke. YOu know.
    Thanks for letting me vent. Whew!!! Does anyone quilt this fast? I can with a regular top but stabilizing, cutting, etc for a t-shirt quilt. May be some good money for someone. She might even mail it if she thought she could get it back on time.
    ANy takers. ROFL.
    No one I know quilts that fast. Someone ask my sister whether I would do a tee shirt quilt for their child, and she's been trained to say "absolutley not - you couldn't afford it!" Good sister, good sister!

Blog Entries
    I am retired and I don't feel like people who want you to make things should be giving you a time limit, when they want it done. Working for free should be just that.

When I was working that was different, now I am my own boss and there are somedays, that I am just not in the mood to sew or quilt.

I have family that think, if they give me an idea for something they want made you can just whip it out. Most of the time it is something they want but don't have anything but an idea of the time and material.

I am sure we are all in the same boat with this. Wheather your retired or not.

Dkm
    Your funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dkm
    I thought about that your funny......I meant it in a good way.

The only one to put a time limit on me was expecting, so I could understand her wanting her quilt, bumper and wall hanging b4 her baby came. I did it 1 time only. If they want to put a time limit on me, I let them know I don't have time for it. :hunf:

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    I worked for a company and the Purchasing Manager had a plaque on his wall:

"Lack of Planning on your part, does not necessitate an Emergency on my part!"

It certainly applies to more than purchasing.
    My husband quotes this all the time to his kids. His kids never plan ahead.

I had a lady come in and want a quilt done with footballs and the names and jersey numbers of the team members for the football coach. She wanted it in time for the banquet, 2 weeks away! hahahhahahahaha! Needless to say, she got it, but in January. Sorry, I'm not a hoop jumper and I like to do quality work, something to be proud of, not rushed.

She doesn't think you have anything else to do,but what she needs. When are you suppose to eat and sleep in that one month? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Quote Originally Posted by cctx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Don't you just wave your magic wand? ? ? ?
    Yeah, Debbie or twitch your little nose.....
    More like "Don't make me get out my flying monkeys.....aaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaaaaaaa"
    ...thank you for the laughs...my sides are hurting....I LOVE your original post...soooo colorful.....believe me...I've threatened to send out my flying monkeys to several wannabe clients and their little dogs too....

I would have told her for $30.00 an hour!

Ladies,

We bring this Non-Sewer's attitude on ourselves.

We are so generous with our time and resources that we GIVE to others all the time. We bend over backwards, like the Mom who made her daughter a quilt in a few days. Or when we make and keep a beautiful, finished quilt to be ready "just in case" we need one in a hurry.

No wonder people think we can "magically" make a quilt for them. Quilts just appear from our hands!

Many of us make Charity Quilts- all done Free for someone we don't know.

Could it be that because we do not do quilting "Professionally", they think we have lots of Free Time to enjoy quilting For Someone Else?

Brilliant idea to refer the woman to a Commercial Site. No arguments about price or materials, there. Take it or leave it. No hard feelings.

Susan
    NJ

Debbie - I feel the same way! Quilts are certainly not cheap to make, nor do they get done over night or quickly. I work full time like many others on this board and most people don't get the fact that we have other stuff to do (LOL). Hope she finds someone.... and you have a great day yourself Texan.

Blog Entries
    My sister-in-law asked me to maker her a quilt in the summer of 2009. She wanted a small throw to take with her to Chemo. I knew she had no clue as to the time involved especially since I work full time. However, she had been fighting cancer for 5 years. We knew her prognosis was not good. I had a jelly roll of breast cancer awareness fabrics. So I made a simple rail fence throw and had it professionaly quilted. It took about a month. (my husband helped with it.) She loved the quilt (and matching pillow) and used it twice before she died. I'm glad I was able to provide her with a little comfort during her last days.

Power Poster
    Sounds like an opportunity to just say "no"

and maybe

"forget you, babe" also

Blog Entries
    Maybe she could send the shirts to CHINA where just about everything is made these days. I'm sure someone there could whip it out over night!

Oh my, am I ever a *itch...and certainly not politically correct about anything.

I agree with the sentiments posted. Non-quilters have no idea of the time involved or the feelings we all experience when we make quilts. It's our pleasure to make a quilt. Can't put a price or a deadline on that.

How funny....not really. I took a picture of the Country Charm quilt I am currently working on and 1 of the 2-inch squares it is made up of to show my non-quilting friend. I said "there are 2,916 of these squares in this quilt." She said "do you buy the fabric with that quilt pattern on it?" (In other words...a cheater quilt.) She didn't get that all 2,916 squares are sewn together to make the pattern.

Blog Entries
    People are soooo very insensitive when asking for something done for them, they think they are doing u the favor. I tell them no, flat out. they don't like it but I don't care.

Instead of grousing about how "non-quilters" don't understand why not just tell them?? A simple"it would take me x many weeks/months to make a quilt that size. i have work/family to deal with too. I can only devote x many hours a day/week to sew."
    How do you expect them to know if they do not have this hobby?? how many of you know how many hours it takes say a woodworker to make a piece of furniture? Or how long it takes to carve a decoy? Paint a picture??

Those non-quilters are too funny.

I would take on the job when Pig's Fly!

Blog Entries
    I sure don't blame you..I wouldn't do it either.

I have had people call me about making quilts -my favorite word is"no".

I know what you are talking about. My mother used to sew
    for other people and they would bring her things and say you
    just have this to do. It won't take long. People just don't
    realize what goes into do things like that and quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Don't you just wave your magic wand? ? ? ?
    Hey no one told me where to get the magic wands lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast