Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
None existent British quilting >

None existent British quilting

None existent British quilting

Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Thankfully we can all enjoy the gift of the internet -- we have each other, no matter where we are! (: We do have other members here from the UK, one from the Bayston Hill area, and another near Stapleford and I'm sure there are others as well.

Other than my husband, and one or two friends here I don't know who I would show my quilts to. Come to think of it...I've been a bit shy about showing any here. Anyway, it is such a great group of quilters here. I hope you'll feel right at home here with us! (:
Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 PM

Bev,
as Holice already said: contact the British Quilt Guild
http://www.quiltersguild.org.uk/
I'm sure you will find contact to a local group get to know some more quilters. Some of my real "Quilting Heroes" are British and live in UK and the British Quilting History is so interesting and deversified! But of course different to the American one...
We here in Germany almost don't have a quilting history, other crafts were much more important in further times. But the number of avid quilters is still growing and I am happy about it.
I really love this board because it is a wonderful opportunity to meet other quilters around the world and to learn more about this wonderful craft. BTW, I can improve and train my English...my brother lives in Kentucky and one day I want to visit him there. Maybe in April when the Paducah Show takes place.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:37 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi Bev - check this out, I don't know where exactly in the UK you are but this map shows just some of the quilt shops around the country. Your nearest one will be able to put you in touch with a local quilting group I'm sure! http://www.cosman.nl/maps/map_en.php?cn=uk
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Hi Bev,

I'm from Scotland - I got interested in quilting fairly recently through reading some blogs and articles on the internet.

When I first started looking for fabrics, I knew there was a chain fabric shop nearby and asked there first - they only did polycotton fabric, but recommended a fabric shop in the next town - it turned out to be a shop dedicated to quilting that was only 10 minutes away from me. Since then, I've found out that quilting seems to be pretty popular in my area - there's apparently a local guild that has a huge waiting list to get in - but I honestly had no idea. It seems like quilting is more common than it first seems to be in the UK, but you've got to dig a little to find it.

If you're looking for places to buy fabric from, I've had good experience with Doughty's so far - it's a shop based in Herefordshire that does online orders also. http://www.doughtysonline.co.uk/
Old 05-07-2010, 02:58 AM

Bev there are lots of quilters in the UK. Try the Quilter's Guild for local groups. Where do you live? There are some online groups too, try BQL
Old 05-07-2010, 04:14 AM

You would think, since quilting evolved in the UK with the havoks(?) that the knights wore, that quilting would be big. You are not alone, we are with you in spirit. LOTS AND LOTS OF HUGS.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:25 AM

Hi Bev. Sorry you feel so isolated. Keep coming here. Lots of great folks and great help.

My ex-boss and quilting teacher was from the UK. She is an excellant quilter.

Keep looking and and asking. There has to be more out there.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 AM

So glad you are here and keep quilting - this is a great place to visit
Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 AM

Hi Bev - welcome to our community on line. There is always someone here at any time of day or night to exchange quiltie news with.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:36 AM

Bev, when you look at these maps, you may find a close place to go and be among friends
my daughter is leaving in 2 days for Lakenheath,England, maybe you 2 can get together, she loves quilting eventho she only been quiltin 2 years.
hope you find friends and shops soon, molly