Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
None existent British quilting >

None existent British quilting

None existent British quilting

Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Hi Cherise
I can understand how you feel as my b g/f lives in Scotland & I had to bring her the rotary cutter & mat when she started quilting. She had a difficult time finding fabrics again I came to the rescue by finding & sending whatever she needed. She did find a retreat & met some nice quilters but they were scattered all over Northern Scotland & Northern England. So just keep tuned to this site & you will have all the quilting pals you need.
Serena
Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Bev:
Almost 20 years ago, my DH & I moved to a small, rural town. I had only been quilting for a little more than a year. Someone asked me to teach a strip quilting class through a community education program. I was scared to death, because I did not feel qualified. Now we have a fabulous guild and I still teach classes. Maybe you could get some others started like I did. Just a side note - I used to be very shy - not any more!!! Especially when we get talking about quilting!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 AM

I am mainly self-taught as far as all the needle arts, and I recommend reading as much as you can- magazines, books, internet sites (this one being my favorite by far). I have learned so much from the tutorials that abound on the internet. Bookmark the ones you like best and return to them often. There are many useful links posted here by our wonderful forum members. Try them out! You will feel so inspired!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Bev, where are you in Uk, there are hundreds of thousands of us, but we hide quite well. The first place to look is evening classes in local schools, even if it is indirect, ie soft furnishing or whatever. Also in the magazines there are always lists of exhibitions taking place so there may be one within driving distance of you at some point.

I am in Hampshire and am not a guild member at the moment, but do love belonging to the board here, it has really expanded my quilting.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 AM

Dear friend, you certainly aren't alone! One way to interest other people in quilting in your area may be to give a beautifully quilted gift to a neighbor or relative. When they see the results of your work, they may be bitten by the same bug that has bitten all of us. The English are steeped in wonderful traditions, and you might help expand a "new" quilting tradition. I think a "quilting tea" sounds lovely.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM

Bev, invite a friend for a spot of tea. And by chance be working on a quilt. When your freind come in ask her if you could finish a few of your stitches. Then put the quilt aside. This will open the door to tell them how you became so enthusiastic with quilting. First plant the seed and then watch it grow. Have the friend over at difference stages, so she can see your work. Do not mention any about the quilt until she does. Make sure she see it when you finish it. I bet if you left the room she will not be able to resisted from touching it. Do not push, let her curiosity take over.
:wink:
Old 05-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Do any of your friends/acquaintances sew clothing? They may be interested in expanding their hobby. If you can't find anyone locally - don't feel too bad, because you have the QB quilting world at your beck and call.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 AM

You have us!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 AM

Is there a way you can post something somewhere asking if there are any quilters looking to get together?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Hi,
Thank you for your lovely reply and quilting is such a rewarding and busy thing to do it keeps you going and at the end of it you have produced a beautiful quilt and it does make you feel proud of yourself.
Happy quilting