Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Quote Originally Posted by margecam52
    Print the photo in greyscale. This will help you determine color value.
    Think about why you like the picture of the cottage so much. Is it the mountains in the background?, the path going up to the cottage?

You made the one mountain/hill look as if it has snowed...that may be one thing...I'd add in the fence...to balance the quilt/pic. Try this...cut out several greens with a bluish tint for that left side hill/mountain...lay it over the white. Lay in a dark brown fence. Audition different colors here and there.

I think you have a great result, but am guessing you are not pleased because your color value does not match the actual picture.
    Thank you. Printing the image in grayscale is a very good idea. I'll try that.

I like the mountain with the snow!

This is a great start- the fence is crucial to give depth and perspective. It allows your eyes to be drawn into the depth of the picture. After the fence try a small bush close up on the right to help give it depth. With that said-as an artist I realize it is easier said then done especially when working in a limited medium but you can pull it off.

Try adding the tree on the left and the rail fence - perhaps not permanently but just lay the pieces on your main piece. Adding thread painting and perhaps some decorative threads and even beads could make all the difference - texture, dimension, etc. Lovely piece and you have my admiration for tackling something I have only thought about.

First of all, I think your quilt is really great. I hope you are not trying to hard to copy the picture,because art is an interpretation. With that being said, I think that thing that strikes me the most is the tree and the smaller tree?/bush is hiding to much of the building. It is very dark fabric which give some contrast, but the size is over-whelming to the building. If you think in terms of landscaping a house, what is the first thing we learn is not to plant to close to the house or have the tree to big. Maybe this is why it is bothering you so much, especially at this stage. Otherwise, I love what you have done so far. Try to go with the advise that less is more. Pick the items in the picture that you love and then only add what you feel is needed to make you happy. I think that thread painting the trees instead of fabric would give you the feathering look you see in the picture. I will be anxious to see the completed project. Don't get discouraged as you have done an excellent job so far.

I think the moutains behind the stone house need to be darker. The material used now looks more so like clouds that already blends in with the clouds. I would also continue with the darker green (upper right hand) and bring it on past the house on the left side. To contine the flow of the mountain in the back ground. Keep up the good work and post more pix as you go.

I think it looks GREAT! I have the problem of disliking a project until I have it complete

Looks good to me. Are you sure its your first attempt. You have a good eye for detail and color which is a gift but could also be your downfall becase you have such a good eye for detail you can see things we wouldn't feel is an issue. I think you are doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
    it is great. I wonder if you made the house bricks a little more muted and the mountain in back a bit less snowwy looking it might blend better. But I am NO expert and lay no claim to do it better than you. You are doing great.
    that is what 'hit' me first, the starkness and contrast of the bricks, the rest is wonderful, first try , well done, how else to learn?? look at the pages of replies here, what a wonderful helpful bunch of quilters...ps it almost has a folk-art look to it.

It's fabulous....btw- were you just as disappointed w/your fist quilt? Learning curve.......keep on! You inspire me to keep an art quilt on my bucket list

Well, I'm not an expert, but so far I love your work! IMHO, there are a lot of medium tones, not much dark/light contrast, and a lot of prints. But you already said that! I admire you for even attempting a quilt like this. I would be terrified. If you don't like it when it is done, I will gladly PM you my address...

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet
    Good advice!

You may also just want to add a lot of thread painting to the mountain with the snowy look...I'd put some dark green/blueish below what looks to be the snow...and a grey to silver on the snow. Make the sky stand out by tracing the mountain tops several times... That and adding the fence in, should be perfect.

I need to try something like this. I'm taking an online class also, on the Quilt Show... my resulting tree is not very good, lol.
    Marge

Last night I "sacraficed my quilt (it's for learning, right?) to experimentation with Shiva paint sticks. What a cool medium! I've had the paint sticks for quite a while, but never tried them. Now i'm ready to start again, and i'll use this first quilt to experiment with shading. Your feedback has been invaluable. Thank you for taking so much interest. Your words of encouragement have been so uplifting!

I love it!! Wow, I don't think I could ever undertake anything like this. My very 1st thought when I saw your picture was the bricks on the house(church)? Maybe you could tone them down a level. I never tell anyone what I really think so Im really going out on a limb here. When I saw you say you were trying to figure out what wasnt working for you I decided to take a chance. I AM NOT a quilt police. Anyway, Im a day behind so you probably have moved on to your next project. Suzette

sorry, I didnt read any of your other replies, I would have suggested the coloring or painting mediums too.

So do we get to see the results? Huh? Huh? I've never tried the paint sticks either, but would be really interested to see what kind of a difference they made for you. Will be watching for the next version as well. Enjoy experimenting!

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Last night I "sacraficed my quilt (it's for learning, right?) to experimentation with Shiva paint sticks. What a cool medium! I've had the paint sticks for quite a while, but never tried them. Now i'm ready to start again, and i'll use this first quilt to experiment with shading. Your feedback has been invaluable. Thank you for taking so much interest. Your words of encouragement have been so uplifting!

Last night I "sacrificed my quilt (it's for learning, right?) to experimentation with Shiva paint sticks. What a cool medium! I've had the paint sticks for quite a while, but never tried them. Now I'm ready to start again, and I'll use this first quilt to experiment with shading. Your feedback has been invaluable. Thank you for taking so much interest. Your words of encouragement have been so uplifting!
    Pretty please, can we see what you have done??? With sugar on top!!!!! :thumbup:

I like it and you are doing a good job, but you are paying too much attention to the textures. I agree that the flowers are too big for the house and the mountains have too much going on. all in all you are doing great and i know that I could not even do anything like what you are doing.

Blog Entries
    I like it a lot, with the exception of the very light mountain in the back. Everything else looks great. Maybe swap a medium muted green or gray/blue mountain in for the one that's there. I think it's too light compared to what's around it.

You're doing great overall!! Go for it!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet
    I agree with Janet. You have done a great job. I would never attempt this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Last night I "sacrificed my quilt (it's for learning, right?) to experimentation with Shiva paint sticks. What a cool medium! I've had the paint sticks for quite a while, but never tried them. Now I'm ready to start again, and I'll use this first quilt to experiment with shading. Your feedback has been invaluable. Thank you for taking so much interest. Your words of encouragement have been so uplifting!
    Pretty please, can we see what you have done??? With sugar on top!!!!! :thumbup:
    Okay, okay . . . I'm still not happy with this, but it's a good way to practice with these. The Shiva Paintstiks, if you aren't familiar with them are like oil crayons. They develop a film that can be wiped off with a paper towel when you want to use them, then after using them they reseal themselves with a new film so that they never dry out. They can be stenciled, rubbed, whatever . . . depending on what you're trying to achieve. I only have the irridescent colors, and not enough choices to achieve the colors I want. I was just messing with them. This morning, I ordered another set with more colors, including white and black.

Here's a link if you're interested in learning more:

http://www.sewthankful.com/PaintstikInstruct.html

Without Paint
    Name:  Attachment-198328.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  70.3 KB

With Paint--The mountain is too blue (a limitation of the color I have), and the grass is still not quite right (limited in my choice of colors). But I like the way it toned down the color in the house! I used a sort of bronze colored one for that.
    Name:  Attachment-198329.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  64.9 KB

Shiva Paintstiks Irridescent
    Name:  Attachment-198330.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  5.2 KB

New set--more and better colors
    Name:  Attachment-198341.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  20.8 KB

Blog Entries
    What a great idea! Nothing like trying this technique on an actual project. And you have rid yourself of the guilt of the unfinished project! Way to go, G.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    This is just my opinion, but what I see in most landscape quilts that work best are that the fabrics for grass, buildings etc. are not literal. Meaning, they aren't fabrics that are printed with stone, or grass patterned fabric. They tend to be the same color way as the objects, but the patterning with thread is what gives it life and the interpretation of the viewer adds to the interest of the piece.
    I have only limited experience with landscape quilts but have to agree with Candace.
    Someone mentioned the tree in front of your house being too dark, this can be made lighter with thread embellishment.

I think you will find that once you have added the other tree and the fence, it will come together, and you will be surprised the difference thread embellishment does make.

Don't be hard on yourself, you have had the courage to try this. When I did a course for landscape quilting I found there was a lack of pre course information on fabric selection, so tried to select fabrics with a print that matched the textures in my photo, but I also took to class a whole selection of other fabrics. Once the instructor had explained a little bit more about what we should aim to achieve and showed us samples of her work, it was clear that my original fabric selections were poor choices. I am thinking this may have been the same for you. Even if you are not happy with your end result (and most of the time we are our own worst critic) you have gained the techniques and experience to help master this art if you feel you want to go further with it.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    What a great idea! Nothing like trying this technique on an actual project. And you have rid yourself of the guilt of the unfinished project! Way to go, G.
    Thanks! I have a hard time forcing myself to work on anything when I'm unhappy with a project, and I knew this one would keep me out of the sewing room. It's better to keep it as a practice piece.

I started on a simpler image today, and I'm going about it differently . . . and more light-heartedly. I'm only adding one new element per day, and that will give me plenty of time to stare at it. Also, instead of fusing or sewing pieces down, I'm using a "canvas" of muslin and using 505 spray until I'm certain I like the fabrics I'm trying out. It's not ready for prime time yet, but I'll post a picture of it when I get a little further along.

Thanks again for all your interest and encouragment. I have to admit being surprised at the number of comments I got. Your suggestions have been extremely helpful, and I've learned a lot from reading them.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast