Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

I think you are doing a much better job than I could. The only thing I see is the hills behind the house that are light look more like snow than the photo which seems to have a deep lavender hue. Maybe changing that to a darker hue would give it more depth. Then add the rail fence too. Great work!!

I think your details may tone down the busy. What you have done so far is lovely, so don't be at all discouraged, it just needs to be finished. Details are always what finishes them up.

Well I think it is absolutely beautiful.
    The only thing I would say is that my eye was drawn right away to the white in the building. I probably would just tone the white down with a neutral to blend in a bit more. But keep it up - it is a real nice replica of your original picture and will be a nice memory.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK
    It sure looks good to me. I think you are doing a great job. Maybe the tree and the flowers are too big. The house seems to be taller in the picture. But what do I know. I still think that you did a very good job on it. Brenda K
    I would agree with the size of the tree and flowers. But it is a lovely quilt and I think you are doing a great job. If you like it, I would leave it alone, but since you are unhappy with how it is turning out, I would try the adjustments of the house (make it taller) or make the tree & floweres shorter. Good luck.

You've done a good job!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Your color scheme is different on almost everything, but that is yours and I love it. Yours is brighter, more spring like and the 1st one is more dusk/fall .

I like it so far. Keep going

Your work is great. I've worked on a few applique squares like this.

Is your church stone 1 piece of fabric or are you using small pieces to create the stone look? You can take and outline the stones with the sewing machine or by hand to get the look that you want.

For the tree beside the church, you could do that by hand or machine embroidery (if you can) to achieve a lighter looking tree.

Just a few thoughts.... Feel free to write me if you have any other questions...

Kat

Please do not abandon this project as it has so much potential and you have already come so far. That is unless you are totally over it and want to start something fresh and new and different. If that is the case, you must keep this and go back to it some future time and it will become a winner.

Oh my gosh. I think you have it. You captured the photo to a T. Really nice job.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely gorgeous! Maybe less contrast in the stones on the house. They are very muted in the photo. But really, you wouldn't have to change a thing with this piece of art!

Blog Entries
    well, I'll move into your house! Maybe when you get the hills greener and the fence in you'll like it better. I think it's BEAUTIFUL!

Blog Entries
    I think it is fabulous!! You did a good job. Now, If I can just do the same thing, I'll be happy.

Wow it is really great! This is your first attempt? Great job! The only thing I'd recommend is to run a little gray behind the flowers for depth. They are a little one dimensional. This is trickier with fabric than other mediums such as paint. I really love what you've done!

I think it is looking great!

What do you mean that you don't have any talent???? Your work is beautiful!

I love landscape quilts. You are doing a beautiful job. Who said you are not an artist. Please post when you are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32
    Please do not abandon this project as it has so much potential and you have already come so far. That is unless you are totally over it and want to start something fresh and new and different. If that is the case, you must keep this and go back to it some future time and it will become a winner.
    I am in total agreement....there is something special about the photograph and your emerging quilt. I have really enjoyed this post and reading all the comments. It has been very interesting and educational. Please let us know how your journey into art quilting progresses.

Umm, yeah. I agree with everything said. I'm new to quilting and I'm amazed at how much the look changes from quilt top completed to sandwiched, quilted, and done.

This is beautiful and inspiring! And I would pay for postage. To me. :) :thumbup:

I think it's great for a first attempt! The first thing that struck me was that the mountains were too light. Now that's just me.

I'd love to do an art quilt, too. But I'm sure my first attempt would look like I did it with my eyes closed and standing on my head!!

Looks great, tho

more green and brown in the mountains also the house should be taller

Quote Originally Posted by redmadder
    Wonderful. Now, the tree next to the house seems too dark. Can you go lighter? Remember the foreground for balance. Wow. Wish I had the talent you do.
    You do have talent! But somehow you have reversed the value - lightness of the sky and the darkness of the hill on the left. I know, you are seeing the texture, but the values of the lights and mediums and darks in the picture are very important to make it look right.
    Once you have put another green hill in place, it might fix the problem.

Your quilt is wonderful...I can see and feel the design realted from the photo. If you want it more photo like, sofen the lines between each area..you could shade with fabric or acrylic paint...or with stitchery..blend the colors more...less contrast on the brick wall of the chapel..However..it is really good....

Beautiful job. Maybe like most artist never satisfy with the result. I have the same thing happens to me, when I am working on something I keep wanting to change it but, every body else think it's great.

Print the photo in greyscale. This will help you determine color value.
    Think about why you like the picture of the cottage so much. Is it the mountains in the background?, the path going up to the cottage?

You made the one mountain/hill look as if it has snowed...that may be one thing...I'd add in the fence...to balance the quilt/pic. Try this...cut out several greens with a bluish tint for that left side hill/mountain...lay it over the white. Lay in a dark brown fence. Audition different colors here and there.

I think you have a great result, but am guessing you are not pleased because your color value does not match the actual picture.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast