Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

I think it's beautiful. maybe you just need to put it aside for awhile and work on something else. perhaps this project has muddled your mind ;) taking a break will probably help you get your PROPER! perspective back. Again, it is amazing. Great job!

Looks great to me !!!! You are very talented !!! I have been wanting to do a landscape quilt from some pictures I took at the battlefields at Gettysburg Pa.

I really like this as well,but I wonder if the brightness of the colors in your quilt vs. the photograph has you discouraged...personally I think it looks great. The only thing that jumps out at me is the sky and mountains. In the picture, the value of the sky is lighter than the mts and that is reversed in your quilt. It looks like the mountains are snow covered. I don't want to discourage you, but when I need advice, I want more than just compliments.

Blog Entries
    I think you are doing great.But being an artist myself, I think that the post that said go for the lite, med and dark value is rite. You just need to use a little contrast in the darker areas. Just my thought. Some one else on here did something like that and when I asked about the shading, she said she used a little shading with a diluted paint. Just keep going, you will do fine. Takes time and you are to criticule of your own work. Walk away for a while. I have to do that when I am painting. Especially if I am trying to hard. Which I am sure you are doing. Keep it up. You aren't done yet.

it's a wonderful first attempt and you're very brave to even attempt it. that said, i don't think you should add the fence until you soften this layer of work. i think it's important to work one layer at a time and then build up the next level as you would in an oil painting.

the grass is a little dense, imo, and it ends too abruptly at the top edge. using threadwork, i think it would benefit from 'tufts' sticking out over the top edge to soften the line. as others have said, the brickwork is a bit too strong in color. that's the first thing i saw when i looked at the work. the tulle could be useful there, maybe even two layers in a very muted color. or you could use a colorwash. don't be afraid of new techniques.

on the edges of the mountain, you could soften that with neutral threads, going back and forth to eliminate the hard edge and blend the color. when you see a mountain. you see lots of colors, not only one..

the tree is a little bright, but you can add some very pale grey thread to lighten it.

i'm not looking at this with a fibre artist's eye, so take this with a grain of salt. i'm seeing it with an art student's eye only. you have a very good basis to work with. it sounds like a lot of work, but it only needs threading, painting or ink highlights. the work is all there.

when you add the fence, add streaks of darker brown running lengthwise across the wood, as you would see it in nature. don't try to find the fabric for it. either use thread or fine pen.

remember, this is not not an exact copy of the cottage. the photo is the copy. this is your interpretation. you can add or subtract whatever you want to.

what's there is really good. build on top of it and follow your instincts. you can't make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet
    I think Janet is on to something. But if this is just your first try...wow...cannot wait to see 2 and 3!

cjr
    Great Job and will be beautiful. The first and only thing that catches my eye wron is the flower pot on the right. It seems a little overpowering your wonderful building. Perhaps a little smaller would work. But if done It is my only suggestion.
    Keep up the good work.

I agree with everyone else--it is absolutely beautiful, and I would be extremely proud, had I made it.
    Please know we are all too hard on ourselves, and our work is much better than we probably realize.

The mountain is winter, the rest is summer. Adjust your mountain and you'll be off to the races. Bea

Your work is lovely, but as you said you aren't finished yet. You need to squint your eyes at the photo and then do the same with your work. You need more dimension or what is called "values". Don't be afraid to add the darks, it will bring the whole picture to life. Every other part of the "art" is great, just needs the dark, medium and light values to complete. Very good so far - keep at it!

Hi - Just me again, I should have added that darks come forward giving the picture depth. Perhaps consider putting that fence in, or if not, the tree on the left side could be brought in and maybe a little bush on the front right to balance the picture. I think you are doing great. Lynda

I think you did a great job! The only thing I would have done differently would have been to make the green trees in front of the house a little smaller, or remove it and move it to the left hand side of the quilt. Is it appliqued on or is it pieced? Also some sort of dark material, maybe to outline/define objects. Good job.
    Syl

Blog Entries
    I am not an art critic by no means but to me it really looks good. :):):)

Try adding the tree and fence on the left. Your photo is very balanced but the quilt is not because you did not add the tree or the fence on the left. So far your interpretation is right on and wonderful. I teach art and I can tell you this is great for as far as it goes.

That's really looks great!!

I love what you have done so far. I think when you start doing/finish the thread painting you will love it.

Blog Entries
    WOW! I hope my first landscape will look this good.

You are doing a good job interpreting the scene in your photograph. I agree that your flowers seem large in proportion. I also notice that the original photo showed mountains in the background which contrasted with the simple house. Could you change the white to a darker background, or thread embroider to make the snow field darker? Then, the house would be the focal point. Just a suggestion. I do like what you are doing and show us the finished picture.

Congrads on ur attempt ... It is beautiful!!!

saf
    Stop putting yourself down! It's great. :thumbup:

community benefactor sfguimaraes's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is wonderful! I really like it!

a suggestion? Try to cover the grass with a dark green tulle: you may use several layers of tulle, different amount of layers in different parts of the grass; it is helpful to use one whole piece of tulle to cover all the pieces... The printed grass fabric is calling attention... with the tulle tip you can decrease a little the grass fabric importance and send the viewer's eye back to the stone house...

Now are you who can help me... tell me a little about Quilt University... :thumbup:

I love it, I think its coming along just beautifully. If you don't want it I will send you my address.

It is turning out just as it should through your eyes. Once you add some depth with color hues and put that large tree in on the left side, things will become more realistic for you. I do love your sidewalk; and that roof; and the church...well, I just plain love it all. Please continue to post as your progress. The fence will add so much also. Looking forward to seeing more.

What a great job

Blog Entries
    that is awesome and next trip to Italy I want to go. Was there once and didn't see the countryside

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast