Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt >

Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Seriously, it's beautiful and I can't wait for the thread to be sewn on. It's striking.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM

I think you are doing a wonderful job of recreateing the picture you took. I think you may be too hard on yourself. Finish it. It is beauty,thank you for shareing. Rose Marie Smith from Newcastle,Ca.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Maybe the cloudy area could go a bit darker? It is so hard to decide where you should be completely literal (like in the size of the grass "plants" or abstract. I am so picky about making a picture that completely matches the image that I don't attempt this type of work right now. Good job!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 AM

maybe all the kitties are gettin' to ya. hahaha that is artistic and beautiful by any stretch of the imagination. keep at it the way you have been and be sure to let us follow your progress! great work!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 AM

maybe all the kitties are gettin' to ya. hahaha that is artistic and beautiful by any stretch of the imagination. keep at it the way you have been and be sure to let us follow your progress! great work!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 AM

I think it's beautiful. maybe you just need to put it aside for awhile and work on something else. perhaps this project has muddled your mind ;) taking a break will probably help you get your PROPER! perspective back. Again, it is amazing. Great job!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Looks great to me !!!! You are very talented !!! I have been wanting to do a landscape quilt from some pictures I took at the battlefields at Gettysburg Pa.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM

I really like this as well,but I wonder if the brightness of the colors in your quilt vs. the photograph has you discouraged...personally I think it looks great. The only thing that jumps out at me is the sky and mountains. In the picture, the value of the sky is lighter than the mts and that is reversed in your quilt. It looks like the mountains are snow covered. I don't want to discourage you, but when I need advice, I want more than just compliments.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM

I think you are doing great.But being an artist myself, I think that the post that said go for the lite, med and dark value is rite. You just need to use a little contrast in the darker areas. Just my thought. Some one else on here did something like that and when I asked about the shading, she said she used a little shading with a diluted paint. Just keep going, you will do fine. Takes time and you are to criticule of your own work. Walk away for a while. I have to do that when I am painting. Especially if I am trying to hard. Which I am sure you are doing. Keep it up. You aren't done yet.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:33 AM

it's a wonderful first attempt and you're very brave to even attempt it. that said, i don't think you should add the fence until you soften this layer of work. i think it's important to work one layer at a time and then build up the next level as you would in an oil painting.

the grass is a little dense, imo, and it ends too abruptly at the top edge. using threadwork, i think it would benefit from 'tufts' sticking out over the top edge to soften the line. as others have said, the brickwork is a bit too strong in color. that's the first thing i saw when i looked at the work. the tulle could be useful there, maybe even two layers in a very muted color. or you could use a colorwash. don't be afraid of new techniques.

on the edges of the mountain, you could soften that with neutral threads, going back and forth to eliminate the hard edge and blend the color. when you see a mountain. you see lots of colors, not only one..

the tree is a little bright, but you can add some very pale grey thread to lighten it.

i'm not looking at this with a fibre artist's eye, so take this with a grain of salt. i'm seeing it with an art student's eye only. you have a very good basis to work with. it sounds like a lot of work, but it only needs threading, painting or ink highlights. the work is all there.

when you add the fence, add streaks of darker brown running lengthwise across the wood, as you would see it in nature. don't try to find the fabric for it. either use thread or fine pen.

remember, this is not not an exact copy of the cottage. the photo is the copy. this is your interpretation. you can add or subtract whatever you want to.

what's there is really good. build on top of it and follow your instincts. you can't make a mistake.