Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I'm taking a class from Quilt University--no complaints about the class so far. I'm just not very happy with the quilt I'm making. What do you think is wrong with this? Are my fabrics too busy? Something else? Am I putting in too much? Not enough? I'm thinking it will improve when I add thread embellishment to define some things, but will it improve enough that I'll be happy with it?

I'm giving you a picture of the image I'm working from--a little stone house I saw while traveling in Italy--followed by my so-called quilt interpretation.

I've never considered myself very artistic, and I'm feeling pretty discouraged by this. I'm only about 1/3 finished with it, obviously. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.
    I like what you've done so far, you'r thread work will really enhance the whole piece, would you consider a different fabric option for the foreground grass? maybe not such a literal grass pattern and more marbled greens that you'd enhance with your threads? Can't wait for the finished product - I've done a few art quilts, and will post some soon, the fun part for me is definatly in the freemotion art work! :thumbup: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Whats wrong with it? I think its great, do you need my address? LOL Keep up the good work

I think you're doing great! Where did you find that perfect fabric for the walkway, the roof, and the sky?? Keep going! Please post the finished quilt ok?

Ooops! Why can't I delete a post??

Quote Originally Posted by sblancarte
    I love the mountains in the background-I think what is bothering you is that they are too light-light & bright move forward in a picture and dark colors recede--I did one of these and used crayons to shade & I was happier with it after that--you might want to color over the rocks in the house or put a dark tulle over the house to makes the colors more subdued and blend together
    I would agree :)

I think it is looking great so far! Yes, please add the rail fence. And some thread for the tree detail would be great too! Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by quilt3311
    Another quick thought, you might add a bit of shading with acrylic paint--maybe a shade darker than the house wall, just under where the roof is over the wall.
    Thank you. An "in person" instructor also made that suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebee
    This is amazing to see quilting in another fashion! I was into painting for many years. In that art form you have more room to adjust your colors. I am anxious to see your finished project...PLEASE post a picture when you are done. I have one suggestion for you..WALK AWAY FOR 2 WEEKS...COME BACK TO IT AND IT WILL TALK TO YOU THEN...love your work.
    I'm thinking of doing just that. I might decide to choose a different image for my class. I have a lighthouse image with fewer details that would be easier to learn with.

This art quilt is absolutely gorgeous!! I love it a lot! If I were going to change anything, I might make the mountains slightly darker if you could (unless you wanted them to look more snow capped). If not . . . I would leave it and LOVE IT!! It's beautiful!! You have quite a talent my dear!!!

Blog Entries
    It's lovely! One idea...will you be stitching over some of it? If so, try softening the edges of the grass with some spiky stitches so they edges are irregular, not looking like a round shape cut with scissors. Also, you can put some semi-sheer fabric over anything that is too bold or too bright to soften the look. I think you are doing a great job. Would love to see it when it's sone. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2boyz
    I too think this quilt is amazing and a wonderful first attempt. I so want to try this technique but have absolutely no idea where to start as I consider myself to be crafty but definitely not artistic. Is Quilt University on line? Does anyone know if there are tutorials on this subject? I am new to quilting and didn't even know they were called art quilts. I have enjoyed everyone's comments and suggestions on art principles.
    Yes Quilt University is online. They have a lot of classes, all relatively inexpensive. I like that I don't have to pack up my sewing machine!

Http://www.quiltuniversity.com

Quote Originally Posted by toadmomma
    I think you are doing a great job. Just attempting something different is a pat on the back, your out of your confort zone, so your are starting to second guess yourself and defeating the purpose, of creative freedom,( the picture does not have to be recreated exactly unless you want it to,) learning something new that can be applied to other things including quilts etc. and the most important one have fun and enjoy the process. keep going thought I feel it will be a wonderful work of art, you might not in the end but remember it is a class and you are learning new things, and each new peice you make will improve. Keep going. Now her is my opinion of what I do when Im dooing a pic or something new, I do two one is the practice where, hopefully all the mistakes and stuff i dont like fall, then theres the other that comes closer to what im trying to acheive, on yours Ill ask why you put one color on the front of the building and then another on the side? when the building is all one. Why is the back ground mountains light, you could have used a muted of greens and then put some of tha fine tulle over it and it would have muted the color more and made it look misty. Just some hints that I would have done, its in the contrasting colors and what your trying to acheive. DEB
    Thank you. Several people, including my instructor, have mentioned tulle. I'm going to have to look for some. My instructor said to sew on a larger piece, then cut away the excess so that I can be sure to catch all the threads at the edges. Good idea!

Junior Member east side quilter's Avatar
    love it you have done a wonderful job on your first try at it. I think the large green tree is catching your eye and distracting you from the overall beauty of it.

Blog Entries
    Keep going...I think you're doing a great job and it will be beautiful!!! Your fabric choices look brighter than the picture but this is an interpretation,it won't be exact...but still beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by cgstroud
    I have tried a little of this and know how difficult it is, so if this is your first attempt...wow! well done.
    I found some very good info in some landscape books I bought by Joyce Becker. Nancy Zieman & Natalie Sewell have a book called Landscape Quilts. Gloria Loughman has one called Luminous Landscapes. Rose Hughes has one called Dream Landscapes, and Valerie Herder has one called Points of View. Joyce Becked has a DVD as well, which is very helpfull.....I haven't had the time or energy lately to really get into this but really admire landscape quilts......you are doing just fine..
    Thank you. I have a few of these books.

We are always so critical of our own work - please don't be. Your WIP here is just beautiful!! It will come to life as you continue to work on it. Please post the finished piece. Personally, I am very envious of your obvious talents!!

I think you could bring the tree next to the house forward by adding the trunk and anchoring it out in the lawn at the edge of the path like in the photo.
    Also, I think maybe the grassy fabric is bothering you as it is very busy and doesn't set the same tone as the lawn in the photo. Perhaps a tone on tone green would give you more of the feel you want.
    I'm also positive once you get the fence in, it will make a big difference in the look of the whole thing.
    Overall, it's a lovely piece and you are doing a great job on it. I'd love to have done it, but I too, am afraid to start on something like this.
    Hugs and smiles,

Amazing

Junior Member Heartwarming quilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is it possible to darken the big mountain behind the cottage? Is see shades of green in the mountain and your interpretation looks like it is a mountain of snow?

Blog Entries
    I think your quilt is stunning! Keep going and please share a picture when complete. :D

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry catrancher, I haven't read all the replies--got through page 6. My first reaction was your picture is cut in half visually. Using a couple of photography guidelines, I have been playing around with a little cropping etc. in this pdf. You have a lovely landscape. Your interpretation belongs to you and no one else. So what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Double post, sorry :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet
    Thank you . . .that's good feedback. It does seem like there is too much going on. As I look at what others have done, I'm thinking they might choose one texture, and then the rest is pretty plain--just the shapes and the differences in light.

And thank you all for your kind comments. But really, I'm not fishing for compliments. I'm trying to figure out what's bothering me about it. It's hard working alone in one's sewing room and trying to be objective about one's work. Usually I'm not highly self-critical, but this is not turning out as well as I envisioned it.
    I think when you add a darker fence post and a flower grouping in the foreground , you will be happiers with this.

This is simply AWESOME. I LOVE it and I'd say continue with it and you'll love it when done. But do share pics when you are done.

Oh gosh...it is beautiful...you are at the "Picasso" stage and unfortunately, I am still in the "kindergarten finger-painting stage"...lol...don't be so hard on yourself!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast