Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

I don't think it is as bad as you think....But I am that way with things I make too....
    Now step back and you will see it looks real good....
    Charlotte

That is beautiful! You should be very PROUD!!

Blog Entries
    I like it - I think you captured it pretty well! I would like it better though if you embroidered in the fence and maybe a few other details that were too hard to do otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Oh My Goodness :!: That is wonderful! I want to try an art quilt one of these days. I think you can't really judge it till you get the final stitching on it. But I love it! Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

oh heavens - you have got to be kidding, right? That's a fantastic rendition!!!! First Art Quilt?!?!? Looks to me like you've got a wonderful handle on art quilts....keep on moving forward!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    The interperation is great. However had I been doing it, I would have made the front of the house, the gray like the end on the end of it. and used a deeper green for the grass. The shape, dimensions are great. Keep working as you have.

i think you are being too hard on yourself... i think for a first attempt it's very good, and honestly if i saw that somewhere displayed i would stop to admire it... the only one thing that pops out at me is the grass... a little too big for the scene... the lighter lime color in it a bit stark... perhaps you could try using a darker green pigma pen to tone it if you wanted too...there is too much good work here to be unhappy and not finish it

Get serious! It is beautiful!!!! This is your first? I would not even attempt to do a picture, but you have peaked my interest.

Looks beautiful, maybe the mountain that is white can be a little bit darker, seems to light, th rest just looks absolutely beautiful good job for your first

I too think this quilt is amazing and a wonderful first attempt. I so want to try this technique but have absolutely no idea where to start as I consider myself to be crafty but definitely not artistic. Is Quilt University on line? Does anyone know if there are tutorials on this subject? I am new to quilting and didn't even know they were called art quilts. I have enjoyed everyone's comments and suggestions on art principles.

Donít get hung up on thing looking to real, you have created your own style which makes it stand out, if it were a perfect interpretation it would just look like a photograph, your interpretation is great donít change a thing.

Blog Entries
    That is a large chunk of sky which you don't see in the photo.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    I think it's wonderful!

I think you are doing a great job. Just attempting something different is a pat on the back, your out of your confort zone, so your are starting to second guess yourself and defeating the purpose, of creative freedom,( the picture does not have to be recreated exactly unless you want it to,) learning something new that can be applied to other things including quilts etc. and the most important one have fun and enjoy the process. keep going thought I feel it will be a wonderful work of art, you might not in the end but remember it is a class and you are learning new things, and each new peice you make will improve. Keep going. Now her is my opinion of what I do when Im dooing a pic or something new, I do two one is the practice where, hopefully all the mistakes and stuff i dont like fall, then theres the other that comes closer to what im trying to acheive, on yours Ill ask why you put one color on the front of the building and then another on the side? when the building is all one. Why is the back ground mountains light, you could have used a muted of greens and then put some of tha fine tulle over it and it would have muted the color more and made it look misty. Just some hints that I would have done, its in the contrasting colors and what your trying to acheive. DEB

I think it's looking great so far. I agree that adding detail with the thread will help, and I think if you can use that to show some perspective (ie the fence starting close and moving back) that you'll like the results. You're doing great so far, remember art is always a work in progress!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I'm taking a class from Quilt University--no complaints about the class so far. I'm just not very happy with the quilt I'm making. What do you think is wrong with this? Are my fabrics too busy? Something else? Am I putting in too much? Not enough? I'm thinking it will improve when I add thread embellishment to define some things, but will it improve enough that I'll be happy with it?

I'm giving you a picture of the image I'm working from--a little stone house I saw while traveling in Italy--followed by my so-called quilt interpretation.

Don't be so hard on your self it is awesome.

I've never considered myself very artistic, and I'm feeling pretty discouraged by this. I'm only about 1/3 finished with it, obviously. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

You didn't make the fence BUT it is wonderful! Why don't you like it? Your silly! Wish I could do that! Nice job!

In fact I would go completely mad and maybe make the flowers even bigger and turn the sky red or the grass blue. Thatís what makes great art, being different

I do really think it is lovely just the way it is, but if I were to change anything, it would be to make the hills in the background darker and the sky lighter. The first thing that struck my eye when I looked at it was the hills and the red flower pot. They could be replaced or you could use fabric markers or other mediums to tone them down a bit so that the house becomes the focal point.

Blog Entries
    Remember - this is YOUR idea as to what the quilt should look like. And, it looks wonderful. Don't concentrate on each item in the picture --- concentrate on the WHOLE picture. Keep going - you'll be so proud of what you did!

I think that you did a great job. If you are taking a class, you are on the right track; your work will only get better. I know that you are looking for feedback as to what you have done wrong but only you can determine that, i.e., Picasso is not Van Gough (sp) and vice versa so as you become familiar with the technique, your taste and skill will become more of what kind of artist you are destined to become. I love the picture and would love to see more of this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet
    Thank you . . .that's good feedback. It does seem like there is too much going on. As I look at what others have done, I'm thinking they might choose one texture, and then the rest is pretty plain--just the shapes and the differences in light.

And thank you all for your kind comments. But really, I'm not fishing for compliments. I'm trying to figure out what's bothering me about it. It's hard working alone in one's sewing room and trying to be objective about one's work. Usually I'm not highly self-critical, but this is not turning out as well as I envisioned it.
    I wonder if the contrasts in the house is what '"bothers" you--Next time, you might like to try more muted colors??? It looks ok but that is what hit me when I first looked at it. Once it is done you'll like it. It is amazing how much better our projects look a few days AFTER we've finished working on them.

Overall, I think you are doing a wonderful job with it. I agree about the big green tree, also would take out the large flowers at the back corner of the house and use a different grass fabric in the foreground, one not so tall and scraggly, maybe with variations of shades of green. That's me talking, who started a landscape probably 10 yrs. ago and it moved with me, but it doesn't move me, it is a mess, but I keep it. Maybe someday. Yours is so far, heads and shoulders above what I did, so my critique can be disregarded. Yours is really wonderful. Can't wait to see the final project.

You know what they say, "You're your own worst critic". I think once you get it finished, you will be very happy with it. It is a great piece of art work! :wink:

What! Your kidding right! Nothing wrong with what you are doing.

I keep saying I'm going to create art fabric projects and will one day.

It looks great! Give yourself more credit! Just imagine how much more beautiful it will look once you are done with it. Keep working on it. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast