Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

First let me say I think this is wonderful and you have done a good job. I do think that with thread work you will solve some of the issues others have spoken about if they bother you. So much can be added with layering thread. I wonder if some of your concern is that think you need to reproduce the photo as much as possible in as much detail as possible. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want to do but you can also edit the scene by giving not the details but the overall feeling. I'm not trying to say you should do it one way or another, just trying to give you something to consider. Maybe you already have.
    As I said at the beginning, I think you are doing a great job so far. I know layering in the thread will make a huge difference too. Just don't be afraid to put on a lot of thread. Sometimes it takes a lot to really work well.
    For what it is worth!

It looks wonderful.

Love your little house!!! :thumbup: I can't wait to see it finished. :-)

Blog Entries
    I like it a lot so far, I think I would have used a bit less textured fabric for the house, though. If you look at the photo it's more monochromatic than the fabric you used, but it's not supposed to be an exact copy, it's your interpretation. My mom always said that there is nothing so discouraging than a half finished project, so just hang in there!

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    This is just my opinion, but what I see in most landscape quilts that work best are that the fabrics for grass, buildings etc. are not literal. Meaning, they aren't fabrics that are printed with stone, or grass patterned fabric. They tend to be the same color way as the objects, but the patterning with thread is what gives it life and the interpretation of the viewer adds to the interest of the piece.
    I think you may have nailed it. Lots of thread to tone down the harsh lines in the fabric maybe? Or...start over. I haven't decided yet.
    I am definitely no artist but I am interested in art quilting and have read some on the subject. I read somewhere that you use white and dark tulle to cover areas that you want to darken or lighten..hope that helps. I think it looks great so far and remember this is your FIRST art quilt and you will only get better! Look at this as your learning piece and allow it not to be perfect..I think once you finish it you will be very happy with the outcome as many quilts only look ok but once finished with quilting etc look amazing.

Blog Entries
    I would audition another fabric for the mountain behind the house. Why did you choose white for this mountain, but green for the one to the right of the house? Maybe the problem is we finally got ride of winter here and I'm tired of snow - but the white hill contrasts too much with the green one.

It is always helpful to get critiques. Here is mine.

I agree with Hinterland. Consider moving the trees in front of the house to the left side of your composition.

Also remember the perspective of mountains and hills. They are always shades lighter the further away they are. Perhaps you should reconsider changing the color of the big blue hills from blue to greenish to blend with the green hill on the right. I think blue hills blend in with the sky too much.

I had an art teacher tell me a long time ago to think in triangles. If the eye can follow the colors in a triangle format the composition appears more balanced.

Thank you. Your comments are very helpful. I'm getting a lot of good ideas about what I can do to improve this. I think the real answer (aside from adding the remaining fence and landscaping) lies in good thread work. I'm not an expert at that either, but I like the idea of this being a learning project.

Also, I have posted it on the discussion of my QU class. No response yet, and I don't think the image has made its way into the gallery either. It's Sunday. Maybe nobody is working on Sunday.

Put the fence in and see what happens.

I love your interpertation. That's what makes it art. It is how you see it. IMHO you are doing a great job. And as someone else said here if you don't have a place in your house you can send it to mine. I just love landscapes.

Wow, great frist work, do contniue and finish this piece and then when you do number two you will have lots of insight!! This a a great piece and I can't wait to see the fishished quilt!

Blog Entries
    I think it's beautiful

Sometimes we are our own worse critic. You can hang it on my wall. Love it.

Blog Entries
    I really love it! sorry you are not happy with it so far but I think once it is finished you will be happier. I do hope you post some photos of the finished project too!

Nice job!

Blog Entries
    It is really lovely. I do see what you mean, but it's not done, as you said. The mountains on the left sort of make the house seem like it's falling into nothingness, but once you add the fence it will work perfectly. Maybe some "strandiness" of the grass once the fence is in? You're doing wonderful work. Let it work its magic as you go on.

Blog Entries
    I think its GREAT

Blog Entries
    Just beautiful. You can send me one.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nice interpretation. I would try to make the mountain to the left more muted. It seems a bit bright. But that was the only thing that jumped out at me. I would try some organza as an overlay.

Are you kidding me??????? You are doing a wonderful job. Once the fence is in place (here I would try to find a fabric that has wood grain OR use the Stonehenge -the one that almost looks like rocks) Then when the thread painting is complete you will have a splendid art quilt. You know we always critique our own work WAY more than others work. Your doing great for a first art quilt.

Another quick thought, you might add a bit of shading with acrylic paint--maybe a shade darker than the house wall, just under where the roof is over the wall.

The hard edges can be softened with thread painting and shaded with fabric pens and you will have the artistic quilt you are looking for. Don't judge it too harshly before you think you are finished.

I think you are being too hard on yourself!! For a 1st attempt at an art quilt it looks just fine. Read the comments and you will know more the 2nd and 3rd time. I agree it is not perfect but it is very very good! Plus it is not done as you stated. Remember this is supposed to be fun..not a chore! I think you are brave to try something new & different. For that you deserve a thumbs up!

This is amazing to see quilting in another fashion! I was into painting for many years. In that art form you have more room to adjust your colors. I am anxious to see your finished project...PLEASE post a picture when you are done. I have one suggestion for you..WALK AWAY FOR 2 WEEKS...COME BACK TO IT AND IT WILL TALK TO YOU THEN...love your work.

That is awesome, you are doing great I love it

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast