Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Blog Entries
    It is pretty, I think I would make the large mountain a little darker,and also the grass. I think in comparing the picture and your quilt that is what grabs me the most.I do scenic quilts also and the contrast and depth is what gives me the most trouble . Find just the right fabric. I also have a darker amd shorter grass fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet
    Thank you . . .that's good feedback. It does seem like there is too much going on. As I look at what others have done, I'm thinking they might choose one texture, and then the rest is pretty plain--just the shapes and the differences in light.

And thank you all for your kind comments. But really, I'm not fishing for compliments. I'm trying to figure out what's bothering me about it. It's hard working alone in one's sewing room and trying to be objective about one's work. Usually I'm not highly self-critical, but this is not turning out as well as I envisioned it.
    I haven't read all the answers yet but my first impression was the wall stands out too much. I think once you get in there with some thread you can tone it down a bit and you will like it better. Keep going and use it as a learning experience. There is no rule that say you HAVE to hang this one or that you can't make another that you like better using the lessons you have learned doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet
    I agree. you have a great talent for getting the details right, but the interpretations are a bit too literal. But you sure are on the right track!

Blog Entries
    I think you are doing a great job on it so far....you are afterall just learning! I agree with the other comments here about the mountain on the left being a bit light...and to me the flower pot at the back of the house is a bit close in value to the house...it all seems to run together, BUT..that will be taken care of with thread when you get further along. Stop beating yourself up before you are done. These things take time! :D:

Add some threat painting to soften the edges of the fabrics and it will be fabulous.

I think it is looking great. You are consistent in your interpretation of the photo...so keep going! Remember..there is no right or wrong, it is your art quilt.

OMG what aren't you happy with? I think it looks GREAT!! Finish it, it may change how you feel about it.

It's wonderful!!!
    I would reverse your sky/hill colors, give the sky the white/blue and the hill the dark purple/blue color.

It's wonderful!!!
    I would reverse your sky/hill colors, give the sky the white/blue and the hill the dark purple/blue color.

Blog Entries
    That is so great.How can you not be impressed with yourself.Just wish I could create like that.

Wow very pretty!

This is so neat! I have never even thought about doing anything like this......maybe in 20 years! LOL Great work!!! :thumbup:

whelp no need in me telling you how I feel Looks like you have gotten all the criticizes you can handle wish I could handle a quilt that GREAT done as well as you have Please let me know how you handled all the wonderful comments about that beautiful job done Look at me I commented anyway

Dkm
    I envy your giving it a try. I love the art quilts. My problem is I see the picture in my mind, but can't get it in fabric. I like your picture. It's what you think that counts.

Blog Entries
    FIRST, right. I've yet to try anything like this. I bet if you did this again you'd have more idea's on it and you wouldn't be so critical. We're alway's our worst critic. Keep it up.

I have tried a little of this and know how difficult it is, so if this is your first attempt...wow! well done.
    I found some very good info in some landscape books I bought by Joyce Becker. Nancy Zieman & Natalie Sewell have a book called Landscape Quilts. Gloria Loughman has one called Luminous Landscapes. Rose Hughes has one called Dream Landscapes, and Valerie Herder has one called Points of View. Joyce Becked has a DVD as well, which is very helpfull.....I haven't had the time or energy lately to really get into this but really admire landscape quilts......you are doing just fine..

I think you are doing great. Thread work will help things blend and be less bold. The thing that jumped out at me when I first looked at the quilt was the grass. I wonder if a fabric with a more subtle, tone on tone texture rather than the bold blades of grass could calm it down. I have never attempted a quilt like that. I am guessing finding fabric is the greatest challenge. You've done well.

Blog Entries
    You've done beautifully! I attempted a landscape of this farm with the windmill and pine tree being the focus point as it is the landmark of this farm.... NOT! But, I'm not done trying - nothing was ever sewn or glued; just laid out and somewhere I'm missing "something" - But on the other hand you have done just a fabulous job of yours I love it and I don't think you should knock your work - it's great!

Blog Entries
    I really like your sky, hills background and think your foreground will work well when completed. The only thing I might tone down would be the house. Maybe a few too many colors. Can your pin a piece over it to see if that makes you happier?

I love the colors in your quilt and it will work as is. However, my eye focuses on the mountain with all that texture rather than the house. Maybe a darker color for the moutain and a lighter color for the sky as in the original photo. The house seems well constructed but is lost behind the trees and flowers. Decide what your focus is and downplay the other features. The fence may should be your focus as it will be in the foreground.
    I love the walkway with the stone and the lovely green grass and it will look great with a pretty fence.

This is really great for a first attempt. I am just beginning to try some art quilts, also, and know how hard it is to find and use fabrics for the various elements and still remember to consider value and perspective.

Have fun with this project and don't stress. It will be great no matter what you add or take away.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Catrancher, you have taken a most beautiful photograph, and I think it's a great subject for an art quilt. I've never made an art quilt, but I think the suggestions you have received are right on the money. And I can see that you and I are much alike: we try to be too literal (grass fabric for the grass, stone fabric for stone). I probably would have done the exact same thing.

If it were me, I would finish the quilt, and consider it a learning project. Look how much you have learned all ready! Make a few more after this, then come back and reinterpret this stunning picture. I guarantee you will amaze yourself the second time around.

Good luck, and try to remember that art is a process, and a true artist is learning and growing all the time. And do show us the finished project!!

Great job. Send it to me!!!!!

I love the mountains in the background-I think what is bothering you is that they are too light-light & bright move forward in a picture and dark colors recede--I did one of these and used crayons to shade & I was happier with it after that--you might want to color over the rocks in the house or put a dark tulle over the house to makes the colors more subdued and blend together

It looks great keep going

Super Member ChildoftheUniverse's Avatar
    I think it is really great. We are our own worst critics... be gentle with yourself.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast