Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Blog Entries
    Looks fine to me. House is similar to a property shown on HGTV program
    recently, in France?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    Looks fine to me. House is similar to a property shown on HGTV program
    recently, in France?
    Italy.

Not bad for the first try. It looks fine!

I really like what is happening with the paint sticks and can't wait to see what you do with the new ones you ordered!!! It REALLY makes a great difference with the house and grass...I rather like the blue mountain, but you will be able to play even more with the new paints and when you start the quilting process...don't forget that the thread painting can make such a difference!

Thanks for sharing these pictures...and keep sharing them, please!!! I am learning so much from you :thumbup:

I like the way the green works with the grasses! I need to try something with the class info I've taken.
    Marge

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Last night I "sacrificed my quilt (it's for learning, right?) to experimentation with Shiva paint sticks. What a cool medium! I've had the paint sticks for quite a while, but never tried them. Now I'm ready to start again, and I'll use this first quilt to experiment with shading. Your feedback has been invaluable. Thank you for taking so much interest. Your words of encouragement have been so uplifting!
    Pretty please, can we see what you have done??? With sugar on top!!!!! :thumbup:
    Okay, okay . . . I'm still not happy with this, but it's a good way to practice with these. The Shiva Paintstiks, if you aren't familiar with them are like oil crayons. They develop a film that can be wiped off with a paper towel when you want to use them, then after using them they reseal themselves with a new film so that they never dry out. They can be stenciled, rubbed, whatever . . . depending on what you're trying to achieve. I only have the irridescent colors, and not enough choices to achieve the colors I want. I was just messing with them. This morning, I ordered another set with more colors, including white and black.

Here's a link if you're interested in learning more:

http://www.sewthankful.com/PaintstikInstruct.html

Love this post...thanks for showing us the effect of the paintsticks...very interesting and definitely is adding depth to the design. Will keep watching with interest.

See it looks even better. Do you think some light green or grey would make it too dark? This is going to be great once you finsih. Hey are you doing the rail fence?

a regular here
    wonderfl . With the added thread work it will be AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by redmadder
    Wonderful. Now, the tree next to the house seems too dark. Can you go lighter? Remember the foreground for balance. Wow. Wish I had the talent you do.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I wish I had the courage to do this :D

Quote Originally Posted by suecq
    Who needs courage...it's only fabric, not brain surgery!!! It can always end up as a dust rag, right??? :lol: Thank goodness my mistakes won't kill anyone and the cat still wants to sleep on it ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by suecq
    Who needs courage...it's only fabric, not brain surgery!!! It can always end up as a dust rag, right??? :lol: Thank goodness my mistakes won't kill anyone and the cat still wants to sleep on it ;)
    I like the way you think.

maybe when you get a fence in it will seem right to you.
    if you haven't done the stitching yet try a lighter shade of
    green for the big tree in front of the building. just lay s different color against what you already have.

I love it - what I see is a house in front of a snow covered mountain. When you're finished if you don't want it, send it my way, I'd love to have it.

I think you will like it better when you add the thread embelishment. That will pull it together.

Blog Entries
    That's wonderful

I don't have time to read all the answers, but I want to tell you that your colors are great, your design elements are good.... My only criticism might be that the rocks to the right of the house are too big and too dominant. They take away from the house.

Try laying brown paper strips (or something) to form a fence and see if you feel it makes a positive difference. They say the eye travels that way into a picture. Maybe that's why people miss it.

I love the snowy mountain; wonderful contrast, and it cuddles the house and the rest of the pictures perfectly. The grass is great, the house darling, the path outstanding.

And you say this is your first!!!! Hey Babe, you got talent! Carry on........

From another "art" quilter, AKA "quilting experimenter".

I think your interpertation is great. When you ad the Fence and the other tree. I think you'll be happier with your overall concept. Great Photo, Great Quilt.

I think you have done a great interpretation. As a former painter, what I see missing is the parts that make it look 3D. A painter calls it shadows. For instance, on the stone wall, if you had a slim white strip on top it would give the fence more demention. The top would be lighter because it would be in the sun more. Pm me if you want more info. It really is pretty. I hope you know this is constructive criticism.

Blog Entries
    What's not to like!!??

I love it. But I can see that if you do not feel the happiest about the result, you might try less contrast between the "value" of the fabrics. For instance, in the photo, the house is not really much different in "tone of color" from the hills. In your picture, which I would be ecstatic to hang anywhere in my house, the contrast is quite noticeable.

You definitely have a good eye for the form and perspective.
    The use of color is a personal taste.

And you do well in that area, too!!

I think the building is especially wonderful, but I like the whole thing! I am just starting to learn more about depth in scenery using color, as my mother is a painter, & I am looking more for it.
    I think the one thing you might like better is if your "mountain" on the left behind the building had a few layers of color: darker right behind the building at the bottom, fading to lighter tones as it rises to the top (& further in distance). Mind you I am not a quilt critic, or a painter, just my mothers art landscape quilts have these aspects to create depth.
    Another thing I've seen at quilt shows is where quilters use a layer of tulle over a fabric (black to darken an area, or white tulle to create a highlight); imagine the possibilities of any color as an accent. Of course, some have done fantastic details with thread painting, like highlights of lighter colors to show sun on the tops of trees or even a roof.
    Enjoy your creation, it's really well done!
    If you think you want to read anything more about landscape quilting, your library may have a book showing how they use these embellishing materials. I personally have not done it yet, just learning about it myself.

Oh, I forgot look up Shiva paintsticks too. Many people use these to add tiny highlights right on the fabric edges in little streaks or shadow highlights.

It looks great to me. I think you're being wayyyy too hard on yourself.

I only wish I could attempt to do anything like what you have done. your interpretation is great. You can send it to me if you don't care for it.

BTW, I saw the Shiva paint-sticks in use on a couple of Fons & Porter shows on TV & on YouTube videos by Nancy's notions, where she shows how to do highlights on landscape quilts. Ok, it turns out Nancy uses Neocolor "wax pastels" instead, but I've seen both used.
    Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex02NNtixys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=busrDXqna5o She paints a tree on muslin, starts about 3:48 in the video. Love her landscape quilts! Inspiring.

I am NOT sure these would be washable though...so I would ask ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by cabinfever
    BTW, I saw the Shiva paint-sticks in use on a couple of Fons & Porter shows on TV & on YouTube videos by Nancy's notions, where she shows how to do highlights on landscape quilts. Ok, it turns out Nancy uses Neocolor "wax pastels" instead, but I've seen both used.
    Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex02NNtixys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=busrDXqna5o She paints a tree on muslin, starts about 3:48 in the video. Love her landscape quilts! Inspiring.

I am NOT sure these would be washable though...so I would ask ahead.
    Thanks! Watched both videos. Very helpful.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast