Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not sure of the color to use

Ok - so I FINALLY finished cuttng all my squares. I was thinking I would use some kind of boarder around each square. I know there is a term for that - but I can't find it for the life of me :)

I'm just not sure of what color to use - I have some funkey ruler thing that is supposed to help with value - but I have to admit I dont' really get it.

This fabric is from a jelly roll that was given to me - so I am told they all pretty much go together. My struggle is I am pretty black and white - and as much as I hate to admit it - a bit afraid of color! So I have no idea what to do with green, pink, red . . .

Any suggestions? * look down a bit - I did get the picture in right - eventually!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let me try that picture again . .

Blog Entries
    Sashing?

Lets try again

Grrr - I can't get the picture in....

Yes Sashing!!

Last try on the picture. . .

Blog Entries
    I would pull a darker green out of the prints to use as sashing. I think it would look pretty with all of the fabrics in that collection. Green is pretty much a universal color...look at nature, it goes with everything :wink:

I had a charm pak and a jelly roll of the same fabrics, so I just started sewing squares to the strips, then sewed the blocks together. Each square had different sashing on each side. It became a very scrappy quilt, which is not me. It was for my 1st grandchild, and my daughter loves it (and so does my granddaughter).

Blog Entries
    I agree with amma, although a solid-reading red would work too.

Did you use the preview function when trying to post the pictures? It does not work - you have to bypass preview and hit the Attach File button instead, then Submit.

I think the red was throwing me off the most. Thanks for the advise.

Yes, I was trying to do the preview - but I also had the format too big - then wrong . .

Thanks!!

I'd go with white.

It depends on the look you want for the quilt. White would make a nice pastel quilt, red would make it a little wild, and dark green would enhance each color.....Take the blocks to your LQS and do a preview of what you like!

Blog Entries
    I would use a white sashing. That will really make the freshness of the colors pop.

I think green would be best.

I vote green

I think green also, just make sure it doesn't clash with the greens in your blocks. (just look at them, squint a little and if it shouts at you...it doesn't fit.)
    This is how I was taught many (many :)) years ago and it seems to help.

If you have some fabs in your stash in colors you may like, just lay out a piece of, say green, and place the squares on top with a little space between. That's how I audition sashing, borders, etc.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    I have heard that green is the most neutral color there is!

Green is good. Look outside, see all the shades of greens in a flower garden. They all work!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd go green if I could find a solid that seemed earthy. Dark foresty type color I think. If I couldn't find that, I think a bright white would be a good option. It would give it all a springy look.

I think a mint or pastel green would make all the colors melt together, that would be so pretty. Like this one http://www.alderwoodquilts.com/shopp...riendshipQuilt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I would pull a darker green out of the prints to use as sashing. I think it would look pretty with all of the fabrics in that collection. Green is pretty much a universal color...look at nature, it goes with everything :wink:
    I agree wth this color choice. I also like green to pull other colors together. I think your quilt is going to look lovely!!

framing goes around each block and sashing goes between blocks (verticle/horizontal). Does that help? I think going to a fabric store and laying out your blocks on several different fabrics then you will love what ever you come up with. It all depends wha look you are going for. Contemperary/classic ?etc Your fabrics are really pretty, I can't wait to see it when it is finished.

I personally would like the diversity of different borders of the blocks...keep the variety going. Would be beautiful!!

Now, for the color thingie you have....here's what it is to do ...if you have a stack of picked fabrics for a project....you can look thru the cool or warmer color slide of that thingie..and, if you have too much of the same color family it will literally dissappear by viewing at it:)Really! You need differences in color..or everything would be blah...and, have had that happen in a color selection and once looking thru that viewer...it was like 'duh'! And, I fixed it:)I had 2 that were too close and by looking thru the viewer there were no definate lines to which one started or stopped..Whenever you buy a jelly roll or a line of fabric...those choices have been taken care of for you:)

I'm anxious to hear what you decide and am looking forward to some pics of that decision. Beautiful fabrics! SKeat

Looks nice to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast