Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure I like how this turned out >

Not sure I like how this turned out

Not sure I like how this turned out

Old 01-12-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Not sure I like how this turned out

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606647[/ATTACH]

I had several blocks I wanted to try. Sort of a ribbon block theme. I considered a row quilt, and a sampler quilt with a more traditional layout. I guess I would consider this a modern layout? Anyway, I had fun making the blocks of all different sizes, and adding in some filler blocks I wanted to try too. It was a fun challenge to figure out how to put it together, and due to my inexperience, how to piece the various blocks together. (Are those odd intersections considered "y" seams?)
It was lots of fun to make, but I am not sure I really like outcome. It ended up being a very odd size, and longer than expected, so it looks unbalanced. Maybe I needed to add more white sashing between block groupings? Or add more width to improve the proportions. Maybe I am just not a big fan of the modern layout. I am interested in any comments, and I am not sensitive, so feel free to be blunt. (Sorry this is sideways, not sure how to fix that. It was oriented correctly from my file.)
Attached Thumbnails ribbon-sampler.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

What I find so much fun about quilting is that we get to make the rules. I really like your quilt. The only thing I would change is maybe make some borders so it's a size more useful to you, maybe.
I love that ribbon block! I also like the other blocks and the fabrics you used. I never thought I'd like modern quilts but it turns out I love them!
It's a great quilt and you did a fine job.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

It looks like it is quilted and bound so finished. It is very fun. I bet it was a great skill builder project. You did great. You don’t mention just what the measurements are but years ago I did something similar ( your colors are much better than mine were ) mine was something like 36” X 80” so very Odd. My granddaughter decided it was the best beach quilt ever and she still loves it 14 years later. It rolls up great and fits in her beach tote. I love yours and my first thought before reading your post was.....what a great beach quilt....
Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 PM

Beautiful quilt, yes beach quilt, I think!!!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

It’s a lovely quilt! Sometimes I have a picture of what I want in a quilt in my mind but it diesn’t come to fruition. That doesn’t make the quilt any less perfect just different.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:17 PM

I really like your quilt. It does look like a perfect quilt to bring to the beach and since I may be moving so close to the beach, I'll gladly take it after I move.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

You could add a border but it looks finished. will it go on your sofa? I am using some of mine that way. or over the end of my bed.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Lovely quilt. Try putting it away for a while. I once made a baby quilt that I didn't like so I made another one. When I was done with the second I looked at the first and then I liked it. I find that at some point during my quilt making process I sometimes end up hating the quilt. If I take a break and come back I end up liking it again.

Joann
Old 01-12-2019, 04:34 PM

I love the bright, happy, clean look of it. Definitely would be a size to take to the beach or the park, or anywhere that narrow than a twin size would be useful.

I definitely would not undo the binding to add to it. Let it be finished, along with lessons learned for next time. Generally the proportions are more pleasing to the eye (and useful) if they are like rectangular photos--3x4, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc.

Last edited by zozee; 01-12-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: add a paragraph
Old 01-12-2019, 05:04 PM

I understand what you're saying, I think I might have moved some blocks from the end to the sides, maybe make a couple extra blocks to fill in. However, it looks like it might be the perfect "snuggle on the couch with hubby" size, covers 2 laps and 4 legs, but not long enough to trip over.