Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure I like how this turned out >

Not sure I like how this turned out

Not sure I like how this turned out

Old 01-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Beautiful quilt. I like everything about it. Maybe use it on a table or dresser. Love the colors and the block arrangement.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 AM

Love how colorful your quilt is. The variety of blocks makes me want to try something new, love the ribbon blocks!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:30 AM

I think your quilt is colorful and great to see. It seems a little like it is very long and narrow but love the way you got to design the pattern yourself. And maybe the picture just makes it look long and narrow. How fun you must of had to design the blocks the way you wanted. I really like it.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:32 AM

In keeping with the modern look, you could have added the white border on one side to make it the width you desired. (I say one side so you were not centering the blocks). That would have given a lot of open quilting space, which is one of the criteria that makes it "modern".
Old 01-13-2019, 09:41 AM

I love this because it's bright, fun, and different!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 AM

It's hard to reply to someone who's asking for a critique because we all prefer to give compliments! That said, I think my immediate visual impression was that the blocks without sashings around them looked like they needed sashing. I think it's just a sense of things not being balanced, like the way you feel when you see a picture that's not hanging quite straight.

Other than that, what's not to love? The colors work, the diverse blocks work, and it looks like the workmanship is excellent.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I like it a lot! I love ribbon blocks. Using the same print in different colors made it very cohesive. Great quilt!
Old 01-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Thanks for allowing me to make a quick, and therefore, blunt comment. It takes me so much time making sure what I write sounds nice. Its nice, but I think the arrangement of the blocks is what's the problem. I think that's what's bothering you. They're too two-by-two for my liking. I'm a Capricorn, and I freely admit that I am the queen of homogenous arrangement. Sprinkling freely is just so difficult for me! Never looks like its arranged as perfectly as it should be. So, it might just be my bias toward regularity.

I'm 62, and one of the lessons I've learned in life is that sometimes the only thing that comes out of a project is I learned how I don't want to do it next time. After fighting with it for oh, about 60 years, I've learned to shrug and think to myself, "Well, there's another tuition payment to the College of Hard Knocks." Some experiences are only to give us more experience. It's very annoying, lol.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe the lesson you will learn from this is that just having fun trying out the blocks you wanted to try is enough. If it were me, I'd be glad I made them into a quilt so I didn't have them hanging around my studio nagging me.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM

Each quilt I make I want to learn something (or deminish my stash). Nothing I make is perfect (perfect hurts creativity). And I'm not looking to make my last quilt, then what would I do with all my stash?.

I'd like to applaude you for trying something beyond your current knowledge. And I think it's great. It'll find a use.

You said you wanted to try some blocks and you did. They look great. I can't find any Y seams. Maybe y seams, but that's not the same thing. So I think you accomplished your goal.

Sometimes we try to put too much into 1 quilt. As a modern quilt, it could have less blocks and more open space.

I think the little blocks of spools, flying geese, ribbon add special interest. And I love how they're not used as sashing, but rather accents.

Final advise (subject to ignoring): it's quilted & bound.....finished. Move forward. Learn from it, plan a new one and live in the present=make a new one.

Last edited by petthefabric; 01-13-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:15 PM

The more I look at your quilt the more fascinated I am with the pink and purple ribbon blocks. I’ve been trying to find a pattern for them. Is there a pattern specifically for those blocks?