Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Novice Quilter trying to piece together stripes, please help >

Novice Quilter trying to piece together stripes, please help

Novice Quilter trying to piece together stripes, please help

Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Love your block and your stash! I wouldn't worry about linning up the stripes, it looks great as is. Can't wait to see the finished product, it's going to be pretty. :D
Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I would be happy with your block. The fabric is beautiful.

Have you tried the sew then cut method for hlf square triangles? Cut your squares 1 inch bigger than the finished size you need. Mark a diagonal line on the back of one of the squares. Place the two squares right sides together and sew 1/4 inch from your marked line on EACH side. Cut on the marked line. You will now have 2 half square triangle blocks you can trim to the perfect finished size.
I just watched an Eleanor Burns quilting show on the RFD channel on Wednesday night and she was sewing squares then cutting triangles on her Orion's Star. I am going to try that today. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
I found that if I cut stripes at an angle they don't match and it gives a little more interest to the block. YOur block is beautiful. You might want to give the tube cutting a try, it was just posted recently. How did you get your pictures to show up the way they do. you must have computer and quilting skills- what else can you do.
Thanks for your kind words! This is how I post pictures (and to the moderators of this board, I apologize for not following protocol). 1) I take a picture with my digital camera; 2) I upload pic to my laptop and file in it my quilt pictures folder; 3) I upload my quilt pics from my laptop to my Photobucket account and file it in my quilt pictures album; 4) I copy the pic from photobucket to the quilting board thread.

BS (Beloved Spouse) took pics of the first 2 quilts I made and he uploaded it to our family Smug Mug account, which I have no idea how to even access. Photobucket is free, but he pays about $65/year for SmugMug. He says Smug Mug doesn't have all the advertising that Photobucket has, but ya know, free is good.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 AM

Keep going; it is going to be gorgeous. I've done the same thing only my fabric isn't as pretty as yours!! As others have said, don't worry about the stripes matching. When the quilt is together, the "mistakes" (I choose to call them artistic decisions) have a way of disappearing.

I do have a tip, it you aren't already doing it. When sewing the pink quarter square triangles to the corner stripe squares, fold the square in half and finger press at the edge you will be sewing the triangle to. Fold the triangle in half on the side to be sewn to the square, finger press, match fold marks, pin, add pins as needed and sew. Press seam toward the triangle. Fold the square in half the other direction, finger press. Fold the other pink quartersquare triangle in half, finger press, match folds, pin and sew. Hope this is clear enough.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I rarely match stripes in a block. I suppose there are some times it would be necessary but that would be more for appliqué I would think.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I love love love your fabrics and they look wonderful in that particular block! You will surprized at how quickly you learn how to do the block as you continue to practice it...the one you made is fantastic already! Keep plugging with this one...(as everyone says...don't worry about matching the stripes)...it will be beautiful when you are done!